COVID-19 - Western Cape versus Gauteng

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The only way to work it out is to look at the data and calculate for yourself. You can't believe ANY of the figures the politicians trot out. Whoever prepares the reports for them are mostly completely ignorant of the BS they write.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
There was a 2000 case discrepancy between the national figures for the WC and WC's own figures yesterday. Yet the recoveries are the same. Dodgy.

I know they pull the data at different times but I hardly think 2000 cases would be accounted for by the difference in times.

Lupus

Honorary Master
There was a 2000 case discrepancy between the national figures for the WC and WC's own figures yesterday. Yet the recoveries are the same. Dodgy.

I know they pull the data at different times but I hardly think 2000 cases would be accounted for by the difference in times.
The official numbers released by Gauteng differ from the ones released by the Health department.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Mkhize said, having compared the real numbers with those depicted in predictive models, the department had noticed that the Western Cape had not quite reached the surge expected by modellers.

"The consortium has accordingly reviewed their models, taking into account what has been observed in actual terms. Since we have cleared the testing backlog, the numbers attributable to those backlogged samples no longer play a role, and so the increase in new cases is reduced."
Garbage in, garbage out?

Grant

Honorary Master
So there have been reports about ppl in Cape Town's isolation centre not really being in a hurry to leave.

Nosisi required further medical treatment and had to go to hospital before she could go to the isolation facility. On the day that she was collected from home by the ambulance, community members stood outside yelling and shouting. Nosisi spent a restless night at New Somerset Hospital without her children, aged four and six. The doctors at the hospital could see she was distressed and together with her doctor at Langa CHC, the doctors arranged for her children to isolate with their mother at the Lagoon Beach Isolation Facility.

“The experience at the isolation facility was a good one. We had to stay inside our room, but my children found it pleasant and comfortable. We were well taken care of and received three meals a day, and the necessary medical care. I never felt alone or abandoned, at one stage my medication had run out, and the nurses on duty organised what I required with efficiency. My children still talk about how beautiful the location was, as they didn’t want to come home!”
I think I understand why.

Lagoon Beach Hotel:
images (52).jpeg

images (53).jpeg

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
If you've ever been to a Johannesburg public hospital, it's little wonder they had oxygen
The ratio between public and private hospitals seems very different to the W-Cape:
Over 80% of the [Gauteng's] population rely on public health facilities, and state hospitals and clinics are coming under increasing strain.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Rather alarming report:
The disturbing paragraphs, both highlighting issues in GP that have been around for months. The GP DoH is only marginally better than EC.

When it comes to the province’s outlying districts, Dr Francois Venter said he is getting reports of “poor turnaround times for testing”.
“It can take between 14 and 21 days for test results to come back in the outlying clinics. If a test is not turned around in four days, there’s no point in doing it,” said Venter.
The smallest province area wise with the biggest issues of serving its remote areas. What a joke!
The department is stepping up referrals to isolation and quarantine sites and opening more facilities, and is scrambling to ensure oxygen supply and oxygen points in wards, said Kekana.
Two doctors who spoke to Daily Maverick said oxygen supplies should have been secured months ago as the requirement was entirely predictable, given that the lockdown was put in place to prepare the health system.
The economic hub that cant secure sufficient supplies of something as crucial as Oxygen!
The province with the most difficulty in setting up a proper database for Corona.
The province that has consistently published garbage stats on Corona for weeks.
The province that had plenty of time on hand to get the logistics right.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
[Gauteng] has a total of 8,301 beds available, but this is unlikely to be enough at the peak of the anticipated surge, and early reports suggest some hospitals are already running out of beds.
What is the ratio for the WC?
I thought it was 60/40, but can't find a source.
Some hints here:
https://www.news24.com/news24/south...-to-public-hospitals-during-lockdown-20200607
In the presentation to Parliament on 10 April, Pillay said the country had 3 216 ventilators across the public and private sectors.

This included 1 111 in the public sector.
the Western Cape had a little over 5 000 beds available in the private sector – of which not all were high care or critical care beds.
The point is that the Provincial (public) hospitals in the W-Cape look like this:

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
The ratio between public and private hospitals seems very different to the W-Cape:
Gauteng has massive townships :( and a lot of poor people. Being the economic hub a lot of people come in from other provinces to find jobs
15 million people in this little province and the hospital's are horrible for the public.
Private aren't bad, but some can also be eh

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Are they forgetting the WC changed testing methods? Only the risky and over 55 now? Making comparisons stupid?
The WC doubling rate more like between every 6 to 9 days and KZN seems to have joined Gauteng and WC

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Our local DA Councillor has just circulated a list of hospitals that are no longer able to accept patients. "on divert"
In fact, just about ALL the hospitals in our vicinity are "on divert"
The nearest hospital to us ins in that list!