COVID Alert App

Have you installed the COVID Alert App yet?

• Yes

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters

grantduke

Interested to know if downloading and having the app installed should be mandatory before being allowed to enter into a building (Restaurant, Shopping Centre, etc.)? Do you think this will allow the spread of the virus to become significantly lower?

neoprema

Executive Member
honestly i'm finding it hard to find the value in the app currently.

My app went off a month ago saying i was near an infected person. Panic ensued, i went for tests, checked symptoms blah blah.

since then its gone off another 9 times and i'm far from panicking - from the dates I can pinpoint it to 6 x at a Mall, 2 x at a Hospital i took a family member to for a scan and once i'm still confused as I was just moving shops very very briefly so i could not have spent the 10mins around someone.

yes the info is good, but i've just accepted the fact that i'm around infected people the moment i step out of my house, and i need to keep myself safe with a mask, some distance and sanitising - regardless what the apps says.

grantduke

from the dates I can pinpoint it to 6 x at a Mall, 2 x at a Hospital
Glad to hear the app is working. Downloaded and have the app running when it was launched, but to date still haven't received any notifications on it.
honestly i'm finding it hard to find the value in the app currently.
I think in a big crowded environment, i.e. Parties, Clubbing, Bars and Malls, etc, this might be an excellent tool to alert people. But then again, you have asymptomatic people walking around, spreading the virus, without knowing it. Which means the app becomes useless

Norrad

Expert Member
I've had it installed since it came out and have had zero alerts. But I do think that's because most people in my area are Facebook sheep and believed all the Karen's claiming that it was spyware. I do think it should be a requirement for entering any business where you might come into contact with crowds.

neoprema

Executive Member
I've had it installed since it came out and have had zero alerts. But I do think that's because most people in my area are Facebook sheep and believed all the Karen's claiming that it was spyware. I do think it should be a requirement for entering any business where you might come into contact with crowds.
Yeah it’s not spying on you. It’s pretty basic in how it works really.
It does serve a purpose, I just wish it was less sensitive in crowded places like malls. I mean it’s important to know but I could be sitting a whole restaurant away from someone and still be in BT range of them...

saor

Honorary Master
Interested to know if downloading and having the app installed should be mandatory before being allowed to enter into a building (Restaurant, Shopping Centre, etc.)? Do you think this will allow the spread of the virus to become significantly lower?
Afaik this is how it works in parts of the UK. If you've been in contact with positive cases the app-scan at the door denies you access.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Yeah it’s not spying on you. It’s pretty basic in how it works really.
It does serve a purpose, I just wish it was less sensitive in crowded places like malls. I mean it’s important to know but I could be sitting a whole restaurant away from someone and still be in BT range of them...

Bluetooth range is about 10m, so it's pretty much as good as we can expect.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Afaik this is how it works in parts of the UK. If you've been in contact with positive cases the app-scan at the door denies you access.
Interesting since the app isn't mandatory.

flippakitten

Expert Member

The app runs off the exposure notifications api and had been installed on most phones since about May, if I recall correctly.

Karen should be more concerned about the Facebook app as it's far more intrusive.

Anyway, here's more info on the api

flippakitten

Expert Member
Interesting since the app isn't mandatory.
No, but I think venues can refuse access if you don't have the app & scan. You're liable for a fine if you're positive and not isolating, so (some) venues are being very strict about enforcing scans on entry.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54320482

If you don't have the app they are required to take your contact details. If you should have been self isolating, you will get a knock on the door at home by a friendly officer.

The app is also more accurate because if someone tests positive on the otherside restaurant and you happened to have been in the same restaurant, it's self isolation for you.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No, but I think venues can refuse access if you don't have the app & scan. You're liable for a fine if you're positive and not isolating, so (some) venues are being very strict about enforcing scans on entry.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54320482
No, they can't. You can provide the venue with your name and contact details if you prefer. And even that only applies to certain hospitality venues.