COVID Survivor Guilt - Is it a thing?

neoprema

Executive Member
So, i'm speaking to a lot of people lately who've lost someone they know - be it close, or distance friends/relatives since March 2020 and slightly more now.
It got me thinking, based on some people's comments, that maybe some people are feeling survivors guilt? Say You're a 40-yr old man, overweight, unhealthy not fit etc and you get COVID-19 and you're a bit sick and its over. You know of someone who was 40-yr old man, fit, healthy and never got sick - they got COVID-19 and died.

What if a part of you feels guilty because all things equal you were supposed to have got it worse, and you probably shouldn't have survived? Why did they die instead of you?

I guess it can be applied to many other things too, but I'm thinking of it more in line with COVID now.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Definitely have a flavour of this having gotten out of SA, had my 2 vaccines, and watching my friends and family in SA getting sick and /or being scared...

neoprema

Executive Member
I have become extremely good at burying emotions quickly and properly. For example at a funeral even of someone close I won't cry or anything - the moment I feel it I bury the emotions fast and i've become very good at it. I also want to be able to be there for people, and handle responsibilities that need to be done and I find emotions just get in the way. I also think its a bit of a weakness to show them, so burying them helps with that too.

Brawler

Honorary Master
I haven't had it (at least that I know about) but don't think I would feel guilt for what you describe. If I had it and passed it on to a vulnerable person, then yes, definitely.

neoprema

Executive Member
Yeah. The world has never had a pandemic before :ROFL:
ssshhhhh.

We haven't in our time :). Hell until 2019 most of us biggest issues with health was "how will my body look in December with all these Krispy Kremes".

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Whenever there's a situation when some people and some people die there's always some people who get survivor's guilt.

There's nothing special or new about this

t_girl

I'd feel guilty if I passed it on to someone and then I survived and they didn't. But if they got it elsewhere I'd feel sad for them, but I'd probably mostly feel lucky.