Covid Vaccine 90% effective preventing infection

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Interesting diversity and age-related data:
The companies say they will now apply for authorisation for emergency use of the jab in the US.

The findings are based on two doses given to more than 41,000 people around the world.
In the trial, 42% of all participants are from diverse ethnic backgrounds and 41% are aged between 56 and 85 years old.

neoprema

Expert Member
Great news! Means we should be able to see off mask wearing possibly by end of next year at this rate. Depending on availability and distribution. Its certainly nice to get some positive news for a change.

agustino

Great news! Means we should be able to see off mask wearing possibly by end of next year at this rate. Depending on availability and distribution. Its certainly nice to get some positive news for a change.
Ahaaaa PFizer vacinne,No mass testing has been done for this American vaccine

They are speaking about 90 percent effectiveness

Personally iam wondering why the vaccine named as Pfizer and not Biotech from Germany

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
-70°C is a whole different ballgame - a nightmare, in fact, considering our clinics/hospitals in the rural areas.
Why? LN2 if a lot colder than -70°C. I buy about 2000 straws of semen every year for R600k. It all comes from USA. I manage to keep it below -70°C 24/7/365. And I live in the sticks. Can't see the problem. Hundreds of dairy farmers do the same.

neoprema

Expert Member

Personally iam wondering why the vaccine named as Pfizer and not Biotech from Germany
Pfizer led it I think? Or it’s their finding? Not sure. Also it’s 95% effective

they still have a major major logistical job ahead of them. Those things basically have to go around the world. Although they may leverage manufacturing partners too it seems.

Vorastra

Expert Member
Why? LN2 if a lot colder than -70°C. I buy about 2000 straws of semen every year for R600k. It all comes from USA. I manage to keep it below -70°C 24/7/365. And I live in the sticks. Can't see the problem. Hundreds of dairy farmers do the same.
How much does it cost you to do that? Now multiply that across a country of millions?

Nqindi

Expert Member
I imagine this applies to all vaccines but is it really 95% effective or is it more likely that none of the 95% actually got exposes to the 'rona?
Depending on methodology used, the studies should account for that.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Desvenlafaxine, also sold here locally as Exsira, a SNRI medication. Discontinuation causes extreme withdrawal syndromes that they'd like to sweep under the carpet.

Did your psychiatrist not warn you that you have to ween off of a SNRI?

you cannot just discontinue it cold turkey as you will have major withdrawal symptoms. Any anti depressant will do that to you.

also the claim that they would like to sweep it under the carpet is a bit rough since it is in their kit insert as well as all over the internet about the withdrawal affects

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
**** I was also thinking that the -70 was going to be an issue for distribution, but I didn't even consider LN2 transportation and storage. May be an idea to just send it to the main hospitals to actually the do the vaccinations then, but I would imagine that we will get the Moderna vaccine anyway which makes it easier for storage and transportation

ISP cash cow

Executive Member

Pfizer paid for research and contracted BioNtech to do the research on the vaccine. So the data and Vaccine will be owned by Pfizer although BioNtech did the work.

It happens often when companies need real specialized research expertise in a certain field which they don't have in house.

Supervan II

Expert Member
The volume of a single shipment of vaccines, far exceeds that of a flask or two and necessitates a totally different methodology (packaging/containers/vehicles, etc) ...

agustino

Pfizer paid for research and contracted BioNtech to do the research on the vaccine. So the data and Vaccine will be owned by Pfizer although BioNtech did the work.

It happens often when companies need real specialized research expertise in a certain field which they don't have in house.
Thanks for your post
I real appreciate for this knowledge,I was questioning a number of questions,How the vaccine has been named Pfizer while the research has been done by Biotech from German

Salute Sir for your contribution,You have made my long story short

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

That's not quite true, the story is actually the opposite. BioNTech developed the technology independently, then got funding from Pfizer and formed a partnership to do the vaccine testing:

WSJ podcast: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...DQtY2I2OS0xMWVhLTgzYjAtNWZhMWVkZjY1NDdj?ep=14
Pfizer and BioNTech asked the Food and Drug Administration today to authorize their Covid-19 vaccine. We talk with the visionary scientist who developed the vaccine, Dr. Ugur Sahin, and the WSJ's Bojan Pancevski about what could be the fastest vaccine ever developed and approved.

Last edited: