CPA and a out of box failure on a TV

Ecco

Executive Member
I bought a tv which was on special on black friday - so I got the TV at quite a discount. Samsung 55MU7351

I collect the tv and set it up and when i switch it on i see the display is messed up and it looks like an internal crack of some sort - no visible sign of damage on the screen when the tv is off. So return the tv the very next day to the store i purchased it from, waiting feedback on if they can find stock at their other stores or when they will get stock.

I now get told they have no stock and it appears they will not be receiving any further stock of this tv. So they tell me they can refund or replace with a different tv.

This store only has older model tvs in the size i bought (55inch). The one i bought is a 2017 model (as per the MU in the model number), and everything else they have are 2016 models in the same size (KU in the model number). Or different brands which appear to be older model tvs. I certainly don't want a refund, as honestly i could not get anything close to this TV at the price i paid on black friday.

What are my options to resolve this as per the CPA? Hope you guys can help?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
If they won't be getting any more of these TV's, what would you like them to do?

Ecco

Executive Member
If they won't be getting any more of these TV's, what would you like them to do?

In my opinion they need to get Samsung to source the same TV if not, source the replacement of that TV if Samsung is not getting any more of them.

Ecco

Executive Member
I called Samsung, they told me to take it back to the store and resolve it with the store

Ecco

Executive Member
You're entitled to a refund or a replacement. They've offered both, pick one.

I dont think its fair that they offer a replacement which is an inferior product - they seem to think its fine.

I am sure the CPA protects me in this regard - maybe somebody can confirm

I dont think its fair that they offer a replacement which is an inferior product - they seem to think its fine.

I am sure the CPA protects me in this regard

If you don't want the replacement then take the refund.

Ecco

Executive Member
To use a different example to highlight my problem:

If I bought a car and the same day take I take delivery the engine fails, would it be fair for them to replace my purchased 2017 model car with a 2016 model car?

HunterNW

Honorary Master

I am sure the CPA protects me in this regard - maybe somebody can confirm

Yep - read up: Money back. (Refund).

hellfire

Honorary Master

If I bought a car and the same day take I take delivery the engine fails, would it be fair for them to replace my purchased 2017 model car with a 2016 model car?

Provided you aren't out of pocket as a result of the transaction, sure they can.
If the dealership doesn't have stock of your car, and can't get more stock, the best they can do is offer all your money back, or pick something they do have of equivalent value.

Badprop_za

Expert Member
I bought a tv which was on special on black friday - so I got the TV at quite a discount. Samsung 55MU7351

I collect the tv and set it up and when i switch it on i see the display is messed up and it looks like an internal crack of some sort - no visible sign of damage on the screen when the tv is off. So return the tv the very next day to the store i purchased it from, waiting feedback on if they can find stock at their other stores or when they will get stock.

I now get told they have no stock and it appears they will not be receiving any further stock of this tv. So they tell me they can refund or replace with a different tv.

This store only has older model tvs in the size i bought (55inch). The one i bought is a 2017 model (as per the MU in the model number), and everything else they have are 2016 models in the same size (KU in the model number). Or different brands which appear to be older model tvs. I certainly don't want a refund, as honestly i could not get anything close to this TV at the price i paid on black friday.

What are my options to resolve this as per the CPA? Hope you guys can help?

What is the specs like on the older TVs? If similar, why just not take the 2016 model.

What are you expecting from the store? You cannot expect them to give you a more expensive TV.

Primo

Throwing this out there.. The KU is pretty much a good option if there's no more MU in Stock

Ecco

Executive Member
What is the specs like on the older TVs? If similar, why just not take the 2016 model.

What are you expecting from the store? You cannot expect them to give you a more expensive TV.

I dont expect them to give me a more expensive tv or even a bigger tv, I expect that between them and Samsung they find an equivalent.

Ecco

Executive Member
between the store and Samsung are there no other 55inch 2017 model tvs? Heck i dont even care if its curved or not. Is that an unfair request?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
As per CPA you can get a refund.

That’s what they offered so what’s the problem?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

No, they would give you a refund.

Which is exactly what you are being offered so there is absolutely no loss to you.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
As per CPA you can get a refund.

That’s what they offered so what’s the problem?

He paid less on Black Friday than what the TV is actually worth, so he won't be getting back the actual value of the TV. He also doesn't want the replacement they are offering him.