• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

CPT International to be renamed?

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I guess it was only a matter of time...

The Transport Ministry says it will make sure that the renaming of Cape Town International Airport after a South African anti-apartheid icon happens in the near future.

The ministry has confirmed that Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s name is among those that will be considered.

The renaming of the airport has received a lot of public attention, since Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema called for the international port of entry to be named after Madikizela-Mandela during her funeral on Saturday.

Other possible names include Nelson Mandela, Robert Sobukwe and Albertina Sisulu.

The department's Ishmael Mnisi explains: “The Department of Transport has received proposals for the renaming of Cape Town International Airport. Government will work tirelessly to speed up the process so that it’s hopefully concluded within the next few months.”

The African National Congress (ANC) is yet to respond to Malema's challenge about renaming the airport.
From iAfrica.com

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Isn't it funny that naming it Jan Van Riebeeck International Airport would be completely off limits?

None of the proposed name donors lived anywhere close to CT.

Obviously, we know the truth though - the ANC wants to bury any history that it doesn't like. That includes the Dutch landing at Cape Town hundreds of years ago.

saor

Honorary Master
It's already a neutral name.
Why bother?
This naming of things is stupid - it's a freakin' transport hub, not a shrine to the people or the gods.

konfab

Honorary Master
Just think, when tourists come to Cape Town and smell the burning rubber at the airport, the first name they will see is Winnie Mandela.

LCBXX

Executive Member
It's already a neutral name.
Why bother?
This naming of things is stupid - it's a freakin' transport hub, not a shrine to the people or the gods.
Doing so will please once faction whilst aggravating another, all whilst taxpayers on both sides foot the bill. Be thankful that neither you or I will live to see the names change again.
Lol, who cares!

Named it whatever you guys like!
This Guy get it.

JungleBoy

Expert Member
It will be great to honour Mama Winnie Madikizela. I suggest they drop the "Mandela" as enough stuff is named after Mandela already.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Lol, silly to rename Cape Town International. It is a neutral name, also Cape Town is Cape Town the tourism trademark. I guess more and more names will be changed, it is clearly on the agenda.

ekske1

CPT International to be renamed?

I guess it was only a matter of time...

The Transport Ministry says it will make sure that the renaming of Cape Town International Airport after a South African anti-apartheid icon happens in the near future.

The ministry has confirmed that Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s name is among those that will be considered.

The renaming of the airport has received a lot of public attention, since Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema called for the international port of entry to be named after Madikizela-Mandela during her funeral on Saturday.

Other possible names include Nelson Mandela, Robert Sobukwe and Albertina Sisulu.

The department's Ishmael Mnisi explains: “The Department of Transport has received proposals for the renaming of Cape Town International Airport. Government will work tirelessly to speed up the process so that it’s hopefully concluded within the next few months.”

The African National Congress (ANC) is yet to respond to Malema's challenge about renaming the airport.
From iAfrica.com
Let us now pray to [-]jesus[/-] [-]mandela[/-] Winnie Madikizela-Mandela as people worship is strong with this one.

JungleBoy

Expert Member
Lol, silly to rename Cape Town International. It is a neutral name, also Cape Town is Cape Town the tourism trademark. I guess more and more names will be changed, it is clearly on the agenda.
It is just a name after all. Change is constant and the tourists will get used to it, trust me. I have not heard anyone refers to OR Tambo as Johannesburg International for a long time now.

Kanniebos

Soon Table Mountain will renames to eTableMountain

Cape Town will be renamed to Zumaville

Petrol will be R100 a liter and Electricity R50 a unit. Schools will have a 0% pass rate.

Then 100 generations later after all English and Afrikaans word and names have been replaced with E click click.

The SABANC 8 o'clock News,

I am now reporting live from "inside" Winnie Madikizela-Mandela Eirport....

With me is Mr Koos van der Merwe, he is officially the LAST White person to leave South Africa.

The SABANC Reporter asks Mr Koos, how are you feeling that the ANC is blaming it on Apartheid?

How do I know this? it is based on past experience, the ANC is very powerful and they must not be underestimated,

For example, before 1992 all computer boxes were white, After the ANC came into power, all computer box turned black....

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It is just a name after all. Change is constant and the tourists will get used to it, trust me. I have not heard anyone refers to OR Tambo as Johannesburg International for a long time now.
Who is paying to have the name changed? It is more a constant burden. What benefit is there for the name change? It is not a simple street, a lot has to be changed to accommodate a airport's name change.

ForceFate

Executive Member
It will be great to honour Mama Winnie Madikizela. I suggest they drop the "Mandela" as enough stuff is named after Mandela already.
She would have loved to see people of this country prosper. Probably why she did social work in her early days. Why not build a new medical school and name it after her?

Airports are elitist (in this country)