Cream soda recipe change due to sugar tax

seburn

Expert Member
Hey all,

Grabbed a can of cream soda today and to my dismay I noticed sweetners added (Acesulfame-K, Aspartame).
There is still sugar added.

I was sure I had never seen these before so I looked for evidence and found the old ingredient list here:

http://www.woolworths.co.za/store/p.../Sparletta-Creme-Soda-330ml/_/A-5449000106322
and here:
http://www.ccsb.co.za/sparkling-beverages/SPARLETTA/index.html#prettyPhoto

In case that page changes here is the old listing:

Carbonated water, Sugar, Flavouring, Citric Acid, Preservative (Sodium Benzoate) and Colourants (Quinoline Yellow, Brilliant Blue, Sunset Yellow).

The can looks pretty much the same with no real indication of a recipe change.

It seems they have tried to reduce the sugar level to reduce the sugar tax without telling anyone.

TLDR; Sugar tax seems to impacting the drink ingredients not just the price

Baxteen

Honorary Master
thank you for this.
I always order Cream soda because I cant accidently get a zero/diet version that has Aspartame in. I am quite allergic.

well I suppose now I will be drinking water all the time.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Lol well creme soda was one of few drinks that actually had more sugar per can than regular coke.

Coke Life FTW.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
"Diet" and regular soft drinks in the US have literally no taste difference to my palate. Same goes for their sugar-free ice-cream ets as well vs the regular/low-fat variants.

I suspect the taste differences we have locally is intentional...

Arthur

Honorary Master
Ag no man. Blerry Ectoplasms.

This is rotten news.

I don't drink cream soda, btw. So this doesn't directly affect me. But I do resent Mother Grundy diet-prudes making these schoolmarmy laws and imposing their dietary notions on others.

Now these fascist sugar-police are using the State to impose their food-religion on others. Such disregard for the liberty of people is disgusting.

Last edited:
My wife formulates beverages for a living.
They are very busy because of the whole sugar tax thing.
All the companies are busy reformulating their products.
With most formulations the sugar tax is more than the cost of the sugar in the beverage.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Coke life isn't actually that bad... But coke have screwed themselves bh not making 2l bottles available