Cream soda recipe change due to sugar tax

beans100

Honorary Master
Had a Coca-Cola can the other day, had in small black bar with white writing on "Zero-Sugar". Usually it's Coke lite or Coke zero. Now it's the full name, Coca-Cola and hidden on the side, the fact that it's sugar free.
I noticed, cause I was offered a drink and asked for Coke lite and this was what they brought. Almost sent it back.

EDIT: Found a picture
Coca-Cola-Zero-330ml-5449000131805.jpg

Last edited:

mister

Executive Member
Had some cream soda the other day and noticed it was vile... turned to the ingredients and saw why... same story with sparberry

seburn

Expert Member
But honestly, sugar is really bad for you, so what's the problem?
I don't always drink soft drinks but when I do I drink the old sugar formula cream soda.

Aspartame and acesulfame k aren't good for you either.

I would have preferred to pay more for my once in a blue moon soft drink. I understand that this does not make any business sense.

I guess they won. I won't be drinking sodas anymore.

Arthur

Honorary Master
My wife formulates beverages for a living.
They are very busy because of the whole sugar tax thing.
All the companies are busy reformulating their products.
With most formulations the sugar tax is more than the cost of the sugar in the beverage.
That's shocking. Tax, tax, tax. A powerful, dreadful and illegitimate means of social engineering. In principle, taxes should be flat, fair and equal. And no more than 5%.

brianj74

That's shocking. Tax, tax, tax. A powerful, dreadful and illegitimate means of social engineering. In principle, taxes should be flat, fair and equal. And no more than 5%.
Bizarrely this tax is being advertised so people can support the tax. By the government. Big board on railway bridge going into jhb cbd. Money would maybe be better spent on promoting good health?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I don't always drink soft drinks but when I do I drink the old sugar formula cream soda.

I would have preferred to pay more for my once in a blue moon soft drink. I understand that this does not make any business sense.

I guess they won. I won't be drinking sodas anymore.
Easiest solution. Just cut out soft drinks entirely.

Does this sugar tax also impact all the fruit juice people who add sugar to so called 100% fruit juice?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Unproven. There was a very old study that linked them to cancer, but it has never been reproduced.
Right now the jury is still out (if it can still be out after so many years), but in study after study there are no medical side effects noticed.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/aspartame-isnt-bad-says-chemistry/
http://www.refinery29.com/2015/06/89193/aspartame-health-facts
https://fitnessrealitycheck.wordpress.com/tag/aspartame/

Anyone else notice the standard 2L bottle coke being back now and no longer the 2.25L

Think this has also to do with the Tax? I mean you get less for a slightly higher price.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Anyone else notice the standard 2L bottle coke being back now and no longer the 2.25L

Think this has also to do with the Tax? I mean you get less for a slightly higher price.
Depends on the retailer... Spar seems to still do the 2.25. Bottle while pnp does the 2l bottle

Hosehead

Executive Member
I wonder if cool drink manufacturers will switch to corn syrup like the US have been doing for decades?

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Ag no man. Blerry Ectoplasms.

This is rotten news.

I don't drink cream soda, btw. So this doesn't directly affect me. But I do resent Mother Grundy diet-prudes making these schoolmarmy laws and imposing their dietary notions on others.

Now these fascist sugar-police are using the State to impose their food-religion on others. Such disregard for the liberty of people is disgusting.
absolutely agreed, but its all about the money (what else) watch for more of these restrictions in the future.