Cream soda recipe change due to sugar tax

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Read up on tartrazine.

When I was growing up it was one of many Frankenfoods (evil foods, additives and poisons added by evil profit-hungry corporations) that all knowledgeable and caring parents went to great lengths to avoid.

It turns out to be yet another food myth. These 'evil foods' myths sweep through our culture just as much today as in the past, thanks to the internet.

I feel really sorry for kids who have parents that buy into these myths. Reminds me of the poor guy at school who had birthday parties where the only eats were whole-earth organic-only chopped carrots, sliced vegetables and fruits. I don't think he ever recovered.
My wife has an art class and one year decided to make ginger bread houses, which has a lot of candy on it - like in the Hansel and Gretel cartoons. Well the one kid is on this banting diet so her grandma refuses that she make a ginger bread house. Instead she made her a house with carton, wool, etc. So at the end of the term when everyone else enjoyed eating their creations this poor kid had to sit and watch.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
There is quite an interesting tv program on e-tv about Food (not sure if it is still on) DStv CH 194, Saturdays 09:30 - 10:00.
It is sometimes hugely entertaining, because it deals with so many of these myths and stories about food.
The one recently on sugar and the alternatives was particularly interesting. Most of the artificial sweetners are linked to all sorts of health problems after long-term use. Their answer was simply cut back on sugar intake instead.
Same with the low-fat/full cream debate, as well as the margerine/ butter debate. In both cases the benefits of low fat versus full cream are marginal at best, as well the myths that margerine far better than butter w.r.t. Colestrol. The main reason is both low fat milk and margerine have "other" additives to improve the taste which are even a bigger health problem than the reduced fat etc.

So to authorities and the pseudoscientists that managed to convince the govt to introduce sugar taxes - MEH!

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Make your own.

Ginger Ale Syrup:

• 2 cups ginger (fresh, peeled, and chopped)
  • 3 cups water
  • sugar (white)
Bring water to the boil, add ginger and cook until soft (15 mins or so). Strain out the ginger. Measure the remaining liquid. Return the ginger water to the stove and add an equal amount of sugar (2 cups of water remain, add 2 cups of sugar). As soon as the sugar has completely dissolved (liquid goes clear) the simple syrup is ready.

Before it has cooled completely (but not immediately after boiling) add lemon juice to taste. You now have a nice ginger ale syrup to add to water or sparkling water for a pleasant drink.

Creme Soda is even simpler:

1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract (Vanilla Essence isn't as strong and may need more. Taste)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
A teeny tiny bit of Cream of Tartar (teaspoon tip).

Plonk it all in a pot, bring to the boil, ready when sugar is completely dissolved.

Both last several weeks in the fridge, but not indefinitely. Better to make smaller quantities and use faster.

You can add almost any flavouring you like to the basic simple syrup. I also make lemon and mint which is very refreshing.

Asgard85

Remember when they reduced the size of their packaging while keeping the pricing the same and told us it was to help South Africans consume less sugar? As if that bull wasn't enough of an insult to our intelligence they seem to have fiddled with just about everything except maybe for Fanta. Anyone tasted Sprite lately? New low kilojoule formulas.

After the ridiculous debacle and rubbish they fed us to try and justify the reduction in their package sizes our house made a switch and discovered that Pepsi products, particularly their cola and 7up are generally cheaper and, to our taste, far superior.

Currantly

Pepsi products, particularly their cola and 7up are generally cheaper and, to our taste, far superior.
Had to return the Pepsi I bought the other day. It was R2 cheaper than the Coke (2 litre, normal price, original versions) but I just couldn't deal with the aftertaste...they've done something to it.

Asgard85

Had to return the Pepsi I bought the other day. It was R2 cheaper than the Coke (2 litre, normal price, original versions) but I just couldn't deal with the aftertaste...they've done something to it.
If so that would be disappointing to hear. The irony of it is that despite my comment we have actually drastically reduced our intake of sodas so it is quite possible they have made a recent change we haven't noticed.

We are drinking the Woolies flavoured spring water if we want a bit of flavour.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Creme Soda is even simpler:

1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract (Vanilla Essence isn't as strong and may need more. Taste)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
A teeny tiny bit of Cream of Tartar (teaspoon tip).

Plonk it all in a pot, bring to the boil, ready when sugar is completely dissolved.
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't that only give you two cups of Creme Soda? Actually less if you take evaporation into account.

Asgard85

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't that only give you two cups of Creme Soda? Actually less if you take evaporation into account.
I also got a bit stuck and then re-read:

You now have a nice ginger ale syrup to add to water or sparkling water for a pleasant drink.

I think it makes a concentrate / cordial type drink?

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
I also got a bit stuck and then re-read:

You now have a nice ginger ale syrup to add to water or sparkling water for a pleasant drink.

I think it makes a concentrate / cordial type drink?
Ah, thanks. I skipped that part because my eyes fell directly on Creme Soda :)

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yup made the mistake of buying Sparletta creme soda... WTF tastes worse then store brand versions.