Creche contract

abubolt

I was hoping to get advice on the following issue.

So I want to take my kids out of their current creche, unfortunately i knowingly signed a contract which included a 3 month notice period before they can leave.
As with with everything, the creche was great at first but then started going downhill.

So back to the issue. In the contract it stated a 3 month notice period, but nowhere does it state that they will increase the fees annually.
So say the fees when we joined was R1000 (2015), then it was R1500 (2016) and now it is R2000 (2017).I only signed the contract agreeing to pay R1000 (2015) monthly and just accepted when they increased their fees for 2016.
I spoke to principal stating this and she agreed that I only need to pay R1500 for the remaining 3 months notice.
At the time I was only taking the fees for 2016 into consideration while the initial fees on the contract was R1000 (2015).

Is it possible since they are keeping me to a contract I signed, to get that R500 extra back which I was paying for 2016? I would like this amount to cover the 3 month notice period.

I really want my kids to start in their new creche in January instead of April because of the waiting period. So I would like that extra that I paid each month for 2016 to cover the three months notice period while they start in their new creche.

Advice please

It costs me R750 a pop... I see you're in CT, if you were in Gauteng I'd ask my lawyer to help you.
Several nursery schools tried to "Get clever" with me over the years.. and I put every one of them, onto the road to humble pie...
One had the audacity to try and have me blacklisted for a non-existent debt, and handed me over to debt collectors. They got a world of pain...

abubolt

Increase of R500/year? Are they mad?
Part of the reason that I wanna leave is because they let go of the best teacher ever. She was the only reason we stayed cos my son loved her and so did most of the other children. She left to go work retail as she couldn't make ends meet.
The replacement is a zombie
This means they are really paying the teachers peanuts.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Part of the reason that I wanna leave is because they let go of the best teacher ever. She was the only reason we stayed cos my son loved her and so did most of the other children. She left to go work retail as she couldn't make ends meet.
The replacement is a zombie
This means they are really paying the teachers peanuts.
I wouldn't worry about the 3 month notice period.. just take your child out the creche and enroll them in a different one.

You're talking about R4500 at most. They can't list you for it since they're not a credit provider, they would spend WAY more trying to litigate to get that money etc etc...

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I wouldn't worry about the 3 month notice period.. just take your child out the creche and enroll them in a different one.

You're talking about R4500 at most. They can't list you for it since they're not a credit provider, they would spend WAY more trying to litigate to get that money etc etc...
I'd do the same. Don't think they have a leg to stand on anyway with the increases.

abubolt

Actually the fees I stated wasn't the correct fees it was just an example, I am currently paying R4000 for two children, so that's like R12k.
The only reason we chose that school is because of the opening and closing times and that they open during school holidays. All the other creches which are the same actually asks for more and they there is a waiting list. This is in the Northern suburbs. In the Southern Suburbs parents would get a heart attack if they hear about these fees.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Actually the fees I stated wasn't the correct fees it was just an example, I am currently paying R4000 for two children, so that's like R12k.
The only reason we chose that school is because of the opening and closing times and that they open during school holidays. All the other creches which are the same actually asks for more and they there is a waiting list. This is in the Northern suburbs. In the Southern Suburbs parents would get a heart attack if they hear about these fees.
Even so, I still wouldn't worry.

They really wouldn't have a leg to stand on, especially if the quality of the carers/teachers has materially changed since you enrolled your child.

abubolt

Even so, I still wouldn't worry.

They really wouldn't have a leg to stand on, especially if the quality of the carers/teachers has materially changed since you enrolled your child.
I think I'm going to try that approach, but would still like to know if I can the increase in fees for 2016 back.
My children come first and I want them to start in their new creche in the new year and not have to fit in 3 months later.

Corelli

Seems cheap

R2000 a kid is cheap.

Not sure what you meant by heart attack but in the ssubs in the more affluent areas you will easily pay r3000pm for from 8-12 only after which your aupair must cover the rest of the time.

My friends kid pays R2800pm in the nsubs for full day without breakfast though.

In which area are you?

abubolt

R2000 a kid is cheap.

Not sure what you meant by heart attack but in the ssubs in the more affluent areas you will easily pay r3000pm for from 8-12 only after which your aupair must cover the rest of the time.

My friends kid pays R2800pm in the nsubs for full day without breakfast though.

In which area are you?
That's crazy.
I don't want to say where, until this matter is sorted out.
I mentioned the fees to family and friends and they pay around R1200 for full day.
At the new creche we will save more than R1000. Also in each class there is an assistant and the teachers are not older than 35.
Breakfast and lunch included. Extra mural activities can be done at the school such as karate, ballet and not sure what else. Swimming lessons is also offered off-site though.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I think I'm going to try that approach, but would still like to know if I can the increase in fees for 2016 back.
My children come first and I want them to start in their new creche in the new year and not have to fit in 3 months later.
Write off the increase. You will never see that again.

Just take your child out of the creche, and enrol in a new one.

Acid0

Expert Member
Not to be rude or anyjthing (and we were in the same situation) Honestly I dont think you have the right to ask the money back from the increase as they most probably send out a letter stating the increase, if you did not agree you could have taken your kids out and go to another creche.

So as Toxic said write it off and move on, it is really pointless to fight over that money.

Our previous creche had a month notice period and not in December either so we had to pay them twice and the new creche twice as a deposit and the initial month.
That came to about 12k but its worth it as we want him in the new school.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
According to the CPA cannot have a contract that is longer than 24 months. Afterwards, it renews on a month to month basis, so unless you signed again each year, it is no longer valid.

abubolt

Not to be rude or anyjthing (and we were in the same situation) Honestly I dont think you have the right to ask the money back from the increase as they most probably send out a letter stating the increase, if you did not agree you could have taken your kids out and go to another creche.

So as Toxic said write it off and move on, it is really pointless to fight over that money.

Our previous creche had a month notice period and not in December either so we had to pay them twice and the new creche twice as a deposit and the initial month.
That came to about 12k but its worth it as we want him in the new school.
I think you missing the point. The money is to cover the remaining 3 months if they want to after me I don't physically want it.
They want to hold me to a contract, instead of just letting my kids go. So I will do the same, coz thats what I signed no mention of fee increases are mentioned on the contract.
How can anyone just thumbsuck a number and say you are going to pay more from now one and then put in 3 months notice period if you wanna leave.