Credit card reversals no longer done? [ABSA/VISA]

Bundu

Expert Member
Hey guys!

I recently renewed my subscription to a daily newspaper and specifically asked them to place me on monthly deductions from my credit card.
They ignored my request and deducted a once off annual payment (which oddly enough is more than 12 monthly payments)

I have requested numerous times that they reverse the deduction, to no avail.

I then contacted my bank (ABSA VISA platinum card) and asked them to reverse the transaction.

ABSA says they can't do it :wtf: and quoted the below:

"As your credit card is only a medium of payment, we are not authorised to cancel any transaction on your behalf.
Please refer to the Conditions of Use for your credit card, which reads as follows:
The bank shall not be liable for any goods or services purchased by the cardholder with the card and no claim, counter claim or set-off may be instituted or enforced against the bank in this regard.
No dispute of whatever nature between a cardholder and a supplier shall exempt the cardholder from his liability to the bank in respect of the payment and the cardholder shall not be entitled to instruct the bank to return payment to a supplier as referred to in clause 9.2.3 or to do a charge back of a payment that has already been made.
We advise you to address the matter directly with the merchant concerned, in order to obtain a credit voucher."

How does one resolve this?
I was always under the impression that CC transactions could be reversed by the bank if the dealer was at fault?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I think they only do it in cases of fraud or unauthorised use.

In this case they feel you can legally resolve the issue with the vendor.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Odd. I know FNB/STD doesn't have a problem issuing reversals.

Nope, they also do it in cases of non delivery/incorrect item etc.

Bundu

Expert Member

I've tried getting the vendor to reverse, but they seem fast asleep and are in Cape Town, so I can't drop in and punch them in the face ;-)

TJ99

Honorary Master
I'd report them to VISA. SA banks are some of the laziest and greediest in the world and they get away with murder.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Reply to ABSA, that unless they do the reversal you are requesting (due to an incorrect deduction being implemented by the supplier) you will report them to VISA/Mastercard for breaching the terms of their agreement.

Bundu

Expert Member
I've emailed ABSA and requested a copy of their T&C's

I just can't believe that they can say they take no responsibility - surely they are the ones who gave the vendor access to the system and the vendor has to follow their rules, such as charging the customer the agreed amount?

It's not really a major issue for me, but I feel like causing some kark

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I've emailed ABSA and requested a copy of their T&C's

I just can't believe that they can say they take no responsibility - surely they are the ones who gave the vendor access to the system and the vendor has to follow their rules, such as charging the customer the agreed amount?

It's not really a major issue for me, but I feel like causing some kark
Don't bother with their T&C's... get the Visa/Mastercard ones.

ABSA have to abide by them.

zululami

Banned
Standard Bank has done reversals for me on numerous occasions - especially against scum Avis car rental!

Bundu

Expert Member
had a chat with the VISA facebook page - they are not interested

Wonder if MASTERCARD is different?

aaa.jpg

Beachless

Executive Member
Thats half the reason I use a CC kind of sucks if they no longer do this.

Bundu

Expert Member
exactly my position - you buy something over the phone, agree to some payment and then get charged a higher price and the bank and the vendor just shrug their shoulders - now it's your problem

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Wonder if MASTERCARD is different?
As far as I know, MC still allow reversals (at least through Standard Bank).

This would be a very good reason to avoid ABSA and VISA.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
As far as I know, MC still allow reversals (at least through Standard Bank).

This would be a very good reason to avoid ABSA and VISA.
They all do...

This is ABSA being lazy and an employee trying not to do any work.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Wow. Visas response on facebook is quite shocking. I have had many a debit order reversed by simply sending Standard Bank a message on the internet banking site. They call a day or so later to confirm, and that's it. Have never disputed a CC purchase before. Then again, I never used my CC that often and recently cancelled it due to Standard Bank wanting to start charging me a card fee which they never did before.

Don't see how a debit order is different from a CC dispute. You agreed to an amount. Agreement not honoured. So they basically stole from you. So therefore transaction reversed. What am I missing?

OCP

Expert Member
Problem here is ABSA - they are useless and full of ****.

They closed my 3 year old daughter's bank account because she failed to provide proof of residency! (This is after we had been to the bank 3 times already to give them requested paperwork)
They posted a cheque for the ammount in the account to a wrong address + refused to issue a new cheque until the other cheque had been cancelled.

Lets not even mention the stuff ups with our bond or petrol cards!

After 20 years we moved to Std bank - no issues and all smooth so far :)