Credit card reversals no longer done? [ABSA/VISA]

OCP

Expert Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not going to last.
I have no illusions that all banks have their issues but std needs to royally f@ckup to come close to ABSA's incompetence and lack of client service :)

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Its ABSA - beyond useless.

I had the exact same response from them - emailed them all the details when I was double charged for a transaction... after no response or feedback after multiple requests, I eventually got a letter by POST saying to investigate and resolve the dispute myself with the vendor.

I managed to get VISA to reverse the transaction by contacting them directly... I also let the bank have it (ABSA Private) - who in turn also reversed the charge - I copied about 5 people in the emails, and 3 of them reversed the charge... so I ended up getting 4x as much back... decided its their problem - closed the account.

ghostR

Executive Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not going to last.
Standard bank.. Eish... They recently froze my account with them due to fica documents outstanding (I submitted the documents in the branch twice because the first time they messed it up, I even called the call center to check the second time - all was good they say)

My account was frozen from the 27th February to the 2nd April.

The surprising thing was that I wasn't the only one, On hellopeter and facebook/twitter there were quite a few other people who had the exact same issue.

Made my mind up that I'm going to change end of this month, Not sure who to go with to be honest but I know that i'm sick of standard banks kark.

Bundu

Expert Member
thanks for the comments so far guys!

I'm still contacting various people and considering my options.... I just hate their F-U attitude!!

noxibox

Honorary Master
I'd report them to VISA.
Waste of time as the poster found. Visa do not care, and I doubt Mastercard does either. Their terms and conditions do require support for chargebacks however.

SA banks are some of the laziest and greediest in the world and they get away with murder.
Not really unique to South African banks.

mister

Executive Member
Waste of time as the poster found. Visa do not care, and I doubt Mastercard does either. Their terms and conditions do require support for chargebacks however.
I've found mastercard support to be brilliant. I would try again with visa, this time filing a merchant violation complaint, and state that you need help because the bank refuses to do a charge-back.

Bundu

Expert Member
I've found mastercard support to be brilliant. I would try again with visa, this time filing a merchant violation complaint, and state that you need help because the bank refuses to do a charge-back.
I was not even aware that there is such an option, but that would make perfect sense to me - VISA or ABSA surely have to evaluate the merchants and the merchants have to follow certain rules, otherwise it would be a free-for-all.....

Both VISA and ABSA have asked me to message them on facebook, so let's see....

My Private Bank manager has been copied on some of my emails with ABSA Disputes, but has not found it necessary to intervene... I wonder how they treat their non-Private Bank customers?

mister

Executive Member
My Private Bank manager has been copied on some of my emails with ABSA Disputes, but has not found it necessary to intervene... I wonder how they treat their non-Private Bank customers?
I can answer that one for you: Emails from private banking customers are deleted manually after being read, whereas non-private banking emails are deleted automatically without being read.

Bundu

Expert Member
I can answer that one for you: Emails from private banking customers are deleted manually after being read, whereas non-private banking emails are deleted automatically without being read.
wouldn't surprise me - I asked them two days ago for the T&C's of my credit card, seeing it's either not on their website, or is hidden too well for me to find........ still waiting...... must be a very difficult thing to do

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Don't get your hopes up - I even had the regional manager copied on my emails - no response.

She once setup a meeting to come see me regarding various issues - her PA cancelled five minutes after the meeting was meant to start.

As mentioned elsewhere, I spent well over R20k to move my accounts away from ABSA.

Bundu

Expert Member
the FB guys have now escalated the matter and I've just received an email "ABSA Acknowledgement of Incident Logged"
The attached pdf however gave me numerous contact numbers, that I'm not interested in - they need to do their work or tell me that neither them or VISA can resolve the issue - I'm waiting

Bundu

Expert Member
another interesting thing I noted over the past weekend....
I made two foreign purchases over the internet - similar values and both in USD - minutes apart
Purchase made through PayPal - R/$ exchange rate + 5.3%
Purchase made through ABSA VISA - R/$ exchange rate + 7.6%

so ABSA VISA 'costs' were 2.3% more than PayPal

VG008

ABSA is been lazy. According to the VISA rules, the transaction can be charged back with Reason Code 80 - Incorrect Transaction Amount.

Definition:
"The transaction amount is incorrect, or an additional or transposition error was made when calculating the transaction amount, or the merchant altered the transaction amount after the transaction was completed without the consent of the cardholder, or a transaction was processed using an incorrect account number."

VG008

another interesting thing I noted over the past weekend....
I made two foreign purchases over the internet - similar values and both in USD - minutes apart
Purchase made through PayPal - R/$ exchange rate + 5.3%
Purchase made through ABSA VISA - R/$ exchange rate + 7.6%

so ABSA VISA 'costs' were 2.3% more than PayPal
Another way the banks get to charge you more fees.
That is why FNB offers their client's additional eBucks points when their customers use their card for international purchases.

Bundu

Expert Member
ABSA is been lazy. According to the VISA rules, the transaction can be charged back with Reason Code 80 - Incorrect Transaction Amount.

Definition:
"The transaction amount is incorrect, or an additional or transposition error was made when calculating the transaction amount, or the merchant altered the transaction amount after the transaction was completed without the consent of the cardholder, or a transaction was processed using an incorrect account number."
thanks VG008!
that's what I've been looking for! where does that come from? T&C's? I'm still waiting for my email with them from ABSA.... very difficult job they have..... or very many complaints

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
thanks VG008!
that's what I've been looking for! where does that come from? T&C's? I'm still waiting for my email with them from ABSA.... very difficult job they have..... or very many complaints
Dude, stop waiting for the email with T&C's.

Email your private banker at ABSA, inform him in no uncertain terms that he has until the COB to lodge the official transaction dispute with reason code 80. If he doesn't do so, you will lay an official complaint with his manager, and until it is dealt with you will continue going up the chain laying complaints.

Once the dispute is lodged, you email his manager and request a new banker anyway because the one you've currently got it useless.

mister

Executive Member
I would just tell them to either do the reversal or close my account.
I've had family try this a few times with standard bank, and they honestly just don't give a ****. Maybe they know it is too much effort to move a business account.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I've had family try this a few times with standard bank, and they honestly just don't give a ****. Maybe they know it is too much effort to move a business account.
I had this with SB and ABSA....

ABSA were somewhat indifferent, i don't think they thought i would actually do it.
SB got otherwise with me, which ended up in a shouting match with the branch manager in one of their busiest branches in Musgrave centre... after the shouting match it was amazing how quickly the account got closed.