Credit card with fingerprint tech now in South Africa

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
This is a terrible idea. Especially here, now you will have a finger lopped off whenever you are mugged/hijacked/robbed because the offenders heard on the radio that you now need a fingerprint to use the cards...

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
Good idea. I just hope it will work better than the fingerprint sensor on phones - a bit of dampness and it doesn't work.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This is a terrible idea. Especially here, now you will have a finger lopped off whenever you are mugged/hijacked/robbed because the offenders heard on the radio that you now need a fingerprint to use the cards...

That's got to be better than cards that use facial recognition then... :eek:

Are people losing fingers when their phones get stolen?

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
How about - No.

Researchers Say 'MasterPrint' Fingerprints Could Unlock Multiple Smartphones

No two people are believed to have identical fingerprints, but researchers from New York University and Michigan State University have found that partial similarities between prints are common enough that the fingerprint-based security systems used in mobile phones and other devices can be more vulnerable than previously thought.

The vulnerability lies in the fact that fingerprint-based authentication systems feature small sensors that do not capture a user’s full fingerprint. Instead, they scan and store partial fingerprints, and many phones allow users to enroll several different fingers in their authentication system. Identity is confirmed when a user’s fingerprint matches any of the saved partial prints. The researchers hypothesized that there could be enough similarities among different people’s partial prints that one could create a “MasterPrint.”

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
And the perps then turn up at a shop with the stolen card and someone's chopped off finger to use the card?

Thor

Honorary Master
Now use the fingerprint and remove the card then you will have my attention.

Archer

Honorary Master
Now use the fingerprint and remove the card then you will have my attention.

Yes please
Then all I need to do is serve a drink to you, lift your prints of the glass and yay, new yacht for me! And better yet you can never change that fingerprint (excluding self mutilation) so I'll always be able to spend your money. \o/

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Haha credit cards. Rather withdraw cash so the mrs can't see you were spending time alone (or with someone else) at the steakhouse.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Haha credit cards. Rather withdraw cash so the mrs can't see you were spending time alone (or with someone else) at the steakhouse.
You're reminding me of something now.

A buddy of mine lied to his wife that he was going on business to Mosselbay last weekend. Instead he went on a booze cruise with buddies in Hermanus. He made sure to delete all Whatsapp comms he had with the boys and turned off location history. He also made sure that he deleted all SMS's the moment it came through after swiping. She still caught him, you know how?

He forgot to delete one SMS he received while withdrawing cash at a garage at 2 in the morning. Their marriage is already on the rocks though, which is why they're spying on each other :)

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Yes please
Then all I need to do is serve a drink to you, lift your prints of the glass and yay, new yacht for me! And better yet you can never change that fingerprint (excluding self mutilation) so I'll always be able to spend your money. \o/
You watch too many movies lol.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
That sounds pretty thin. They hypothesized that there might be similarities between people's partial prints. Maybe. Interesting read, though.

There are similarities but it all depends on the quality of reader and software used. If I recall, a decent reader should at least use 10 points to identify a fingerprint, obviously more points the better but less than six would give a lot of false positives.