Cricket: South Africa tour of Pakistan 2021

Creag

The Boar's Rock
If I missed the thread, sorry. I did look back through the Sports threads for it.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
South Africa squad: Quinton de Kock (capt & wk), Temba Bavuma, Aiden Markram, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Kagiso Rabada, Dwaine Pretorius, Keshav Maharaj, Lungi Ngidi, Rassie van der Dussen, Anrich Nortje, Wiaan Mulder, Lutho Sipamla, Beuran Hendricks, Kyle Verreynne, Sarel Erwee, Keegan Petersen, Tabraiz Shamsi, George Linde, Daryn Dupavillon, Marco Jansen.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Pakistan Test squad Abid Ali, Abdullah Shafique, Imran Butt, Azhar Ali, Babar Azam (c), Fawad Alam, Kamran Ghulam, Salman Ali Agha, Saud Shakeel, Faheem Ashraf, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Nauman Ali, Sajid Khan, Yasir Shah, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Tabish Khan

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I find this rather distasteful...

According to this article his contract expired and that's the reason and not security. He even confirms his departure with a farewell tweet.

Strange.

stefan9

Executive Member
Will be interesting what team is selected for the first test. Historically pakistan doesn't spin as much as india,sri lanka and bangladesh. Generally very good batting wickets with spin on the last day. Reverse swing has tended to be the main weapon but how much you can now get with the new covid regulations is up for debate.

KG will be back in for sipamla. Then its a decision between playing both ngidi and nortje or picking a spinner for one.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Will be interesting what team is selected for the first test. Historically pakistan doesn't spin as much as india,sri lanka and bangladesh. Generally very good batting wickets with spin on the last day. Reverse swing has tended to be the main weapon but how much you can now get with the new covid regulations is up for debate.

KG will be back in for sipamla. Then its a decision between playing both ngidi and nortje or picking a spinner for one.
We already have Maharaj so don't need another spinner. Markram and Elgar can do a part-time role if needed.
No need to drop either Ngidi or Nortje. Pick them both.

GaskooN

We already have Maharaj so don't need another spinner. Markram and Elgar can do a part-time role if needed.
No need to drop either Ngidi or Nortje. Pick them both.
The thing is, can we trust part-time spin to do a good job vs Pakistani batsmen in their own backyard? What if we drop mulder for linde? I know that's crazy considering how well mulder did vs Sri Lanka. I'd rather then bolster the batting and drop nortje then? Most importantly though, we must win the toss and bat first because what I've read is that the pitch turns a lot from day 4 onwards.