Cricket: South Africa tour of Pakistan 2021

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Honest & f8cking truely...why refer an LBW, f8cking laugh about it like it's a joke, knowing it was doing down leg & missing a second leg stump.

#QdKMustGo

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Should have dropped on of the seamers. Why we need 5 bowlers when mulder can bowl is baffling.

Also someone please send qdk some classes, how he can even think of reviewing that is absurd.
Linde is overrated to be honest. Doesn't do much with the ball.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Let's be honest, they played better than most of us thought, especially as it usually does not go well when they travel to the sub-continent.

Quinny's captaincy is starting to get exposed. He didn't seem too keen on the job and it was a mistake to give it to him.

They should have opted for Elgar if not Maharaj on an interim basis until someone showed that they are up to the task.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Let's be honest, they played better than most of us thought, especially as it usually does not go well when they travel to the sub-continent.

Quinny's captaincy is starting to get exposed. He didn't seem too keen on the job and it was a mistake to give it to him.

They should have opted for Elgar if not Maharaj on an interim basis until someone showed that they are up to the task.
Agreed on everything!

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Bavuma should have been given a shot at the top of the order when Markram was out of form.

As has been seen by his performances in white-ball, he seems to do a lot better when he bats at the top of the order. Malan did not do enough to prove that he was international material. There are some players who are excellent at domestic and just don't cut it at international level, he may be one.

His position has also hampered his potential. I recall two times when he was deprived of what likely would have been tons due to his position (once against England when they declared when he was 70 odd) and another time when he was on 95 and Morkel got clean bowled at number 11.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
I think that was the last time anyone toured there, but you might be right that we last toured there in 2007.

I remember that it was Justin Kemp's last tour before he signed up for the Indian rebel league and Paul Harris was the spinner at the time.

AFAIK, the last tour to Pakistan before the long hiatus was Sri Lanka in early 2009. The Sri Lankan bus got attacked and Sangakarra suffered an injury.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Bavuma should have been given a shot at the top of the order when Markram was out of form.

As has been seen by his performances in white-ball, he seems to do a lot better when he bats at the top of the order. Malan did not do enough to prove that he was international material. There are some players who are excellent at domestic and just don't cut it at international level, he may be one.

His position has also hampered his potential. I recall two times when he was deprived of what likely would have been tons due to his position (once against England when they declared when he was 70 odd) and another time when he was on 95 and Morkel got clean bowled at number 11.
Malan should've been given more than 3 games (always makes me think back to Mark Rushmere being given a single test match in the West Indies and discarded). That England series was rough and came off the back of our team completely unravelling after the CWC.
Bavuma needs to score otherwise he's going to be another scapegoat on race terms, and he's better than that. Looks very collected, never rushed and technically correct...

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Bavuma needs to score otherwise he's going to be another scapegoat on race terms, and he's better than that. Looks very collected, never rushed and technically correct...

True.

CSA kind of messed up his career.

He should have been introduced to white-ball cricket before he was introduced to red ball. I remember he made his white ball debut against Ireland in 2016, got a ton, and then never played again in white-ball for many years. How demotivating must that be? Markram has never looked confident as yet in white ball cricket at international level and the many opportunities he got earlier on should have rather gone to Bavuma.

One problem with Malan that I've noticed as well is his technique. He is old-school and probably would have fared much better 10-20 years ago than today. His domestic stats are excellent but I think this is also a reason why he is even behind Sarel Erwee (who tbh if a fine domestic player but probably not international material) in the pecking order.

Bavuma also does not look comfortable in his batting position in tests. It's a bit similar to how AB looked when he used to open the batting with Smith early on in his career. You should see his class but he only really became a superstar when they shifted him down the order.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
True.

CSA kind of messed up his career.

He should have been introduced to white-ball cricket before he was introduced to red ball. I remember he made his white ball debut against Ireland in 2016, got a ton, and then never played again in white-ball for many years. How demotivating must that be? Markram has never looked confident as yet in white ball cricket at international level and the many opportunities he got earlier on should have rather gone to Bavuma.

One problem with Malan that I've noticed as well is his technique. He is old-school and probably would have fared much better 10-20 years ago than today. His domestic stats are excellent but I think this is also a reason why he is even behind Sarel Erwee (who tbh if a fine domestic player but probably not international material) in the pecking order.

Bavuma also does not look comfortable in his batting position in tests. It's a bit similar to how AB looked when he used to open the batting with Smith early on in his career. You should see his class but he only really became a superstar when they shifted him down the order.
Janneman should also be given a better opportunity. Not sure why Markram keeps being given chances. It's like CSA are willing him to succeed.

I rate Bavuma...but he's erratic. He needs to improve otherwise he's just an average test player like Duminy!

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Not sure why Markram keeps being given chances. It's like CSA are willing him to succeed.

I rate Bavuma...but he's erratic. He needs to improve otherwise he's just an average test player like Duminy!

Markram does brilliantly at FC level but just never translates it to international level. He was not meant to go to the World Cup but then had a brilliant MODC season (almost single handedly won it for the Titans) before flopping at the world cup. Maybe his mentality may be a problem?

To me, the Bavuma situation is quite similar to AB's early career situation when he used to open with Smith. As an opener, AB did get a ton now and then but his place in the side was not solidified. There used to be calls to drop him.

He started flourishing when he was dropped down the order.

Bavuma tends to do better up the order.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Not that it's really relevant to this series, but the Malan brothers have posted an opening century stand against the Lions in the MODC.

ShloshMalosh

Expert Member
Markram does brilliantly at FC level but just never translates it to international level. He was not meant to go to the World Cup but then had a brilliant MODC season (almost single handedly won it for the Titans) before flopping at the world cup. Maybe his mentality may be a problem?

To me, the Bavuma situation is quite similar to AB's early career situation when he used to open with Smith. As an opener, AB did get a ton now and then but his place in the side was not solidified. There used to be calls to drop him.

He started flourishing when he was dropped down the order.

Bavuma tends to do better up the order.

Markram is the real deal, he needs consistent time at international level, he hasnt really gotten that. he will be the future captain. and he will be up there at international level. He himself just needs to get on and do it. Hes got all the ingredients

Bavumas wont be captain as much as he probably has the potential. Only runs and a ****ton of them in no time is going to save his case for the captaincy. Honestly, im one of his hugest supporters. But ****, its tough to keep trying to justify his position in the side. captaincy talk is a distant dream. But for reals, hes probably one of the most elegant looking batsman weve ever produced.

QDk should have never been considered as captain at any point, for any of the teams in my opinion.
- no captaincy experience
- your most dangerous batter should be free
- hes also the keeper
- hes also the opener
- lets face it, he was a stoute laaitie that got a chance in the program despite his schooling and disciplinary problems, ask jet jennings. im not judging him, but all of the above just shows shaky logic in considering him for the position to start with

im struggling to understand how it was an informed and rational descision

Then again, im not the selectors

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Markram is the real deal, he needs consistent time at international level, he hasnt really gotten that. he will be the future captain. and he will be up there at international level. He himself just needs to get on and do it. Hes got all the ingredients

Bavumas wont be captain as much as he probably has the potential. Only runs and a ****ton of them in no time is going to save his case for the captaincy. Honestly, im one of his hugest supporters. But ****, its tough to keep trying to justify his position in the side. captaincy talk is a distant dream. But for reals, hes probably one of the most elegant looking batsman weve ever produced.

QDk should have never been considered as captain at any point, for any of the teams in my opinion.
- no captaincy experience
- your most dangerous batter should be free
- hes also the keeper
- hes also the opener
- lets face it, he was a stoute laaitie that got a chance in the program despite his schooling and disciplinary problems, ask jet jennings. im not judging him, but all of the above just shows shaky logic in considering him for the position to start with

im struggling to understand how it was an informed and rational descision

Then again, im not the selectors
Markram has been given a LOT of opportunity. Maybe at the expense of some other guys scoring a lot of runs. He grafted this game, but it's not to say he won't score less runs again and then they continue to persevere with him. I personally wish he'd come right!

QdK comes across as childish now. Now Test captain material. Always spitting on the field, and then asking for a stupid referal (hardly showing the right indication) and then laughing about it. Maharaj might actually be a better option. Markram if he was scoring runs.

I wouldn't burden Bavuma with the captaincy...he's already struggling with runs.