Cricket: South Africa tour of Pakistan 2021

sand_man

Honorary Master
Unpopular opinion but I think Gibson did the right thing.

It would have been unfair to include a guy who wanted to pick and choose when to play ahead of Rassie who worked his ass off to get his big break.
Life's unfair. Would India leave out Sachin or Virat in a similar situation? Would Australia leave out Warne? Hell, they couldn't wait to get their cheating Smith and Warner back in the national side. You pick the best at your disposal... end of...

sand_man

Honorary Master
I'm saying our 2019 team was not in contention for the World Cup with AB or without him. We were (and still are) behind the top teams in the format.
Hard to argue with that...

stefan9

Executive Member
Life's unfair. Would India leave out Sachin or Virat in a similar situation? Would Australia leave out Warne? Hell, they couldn't wait to get their cheating Smith and Warner back in the national side. You pick the best at your disposal... end of...
Did virat, sachin or warne pick when to play...Sachin and warne played close to 40 for their teams.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Did virat, sachin or warne pick when to play...Sachin and warne played close to 40 for their teams.
Warne all the time yeah, mostly due to his own verbose behaviour, he wasn't always "eligible". Virat's chosen county over country in the past hasn't he?

sand_man

Honorary Master
Pakistan ladies win the 3rd and final T20 by 8 runs (D/L method)... disappointing end to the tourney, quite a weak side fielded today. Next stop India I believe?

stefan9

Executive Member
Warne all the time yeah, mostly due to his own verbose behaviour, he wasn't always "eligible". Virat's chosen county over country in the past hasn't he?
Being suspended is not the same as picking and choosing, unless you are going to claim warnie planned to get suspended.. When has Virat picked county over country? He has never played for any team outside India never been a schedule conflict.

The only players to exhibit this mercenary trait is some of the west indians and one ABDV.
That's why for me he will never measure up to smith,kallis and amla. He may have been a better player but he lacked the character they had. Cricket is a team game, abd played for abd.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Just logged in, how many catches we put down this morning so far?

sand_man

Honorary Master
Being suspended is not the same as picking and choosing, unless you are going to claim warnie planned to get suspended.. When has Virat picked county over country? He has never played for any team outside India never been a schedule conflict.

The only players to exhibit this mercenary trait is some of the west indians and one ABDV.
That's why for me he will never measure up to smith,kallis and amla. He may have been a better player but he lacked the character they had. Cricket is a team game, abd played for abd.
He chose to take diuretics? Or did his mom force him? He chose to eat himself out of contention, womanize himself out of contention and then drug himself out of contention. Talk about a lack of character. Shane Warne is the last person I'd want as a role model for my kids.

Virat missed a test against Afghanistan in 2018, choosing to play for Surrey instead.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Sachin and warne played close to 40 for their teams.
AB's test career spans 14 years, he's the 5th most capped test player in SA history. Lol... You reckon retiring to spend time with his family was him being selfish? You got kids?

And yes he went on to play T20. Who wouldn't? It's quick and easy money. He has a family to feed and a career on a clock.

EDIT: Anyway, this probably isn't the thread for this discussion. I'll let you have the last word if you want it?... I'm out...

Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
Ali out for 6, c Markram b Nortje.. sharp chance at short leg and taken!! Beauty!!

JohnMao

Executive Member
Unpopular opinion but I think Gibson did the right thing.

It would have been unfair to include a guy who wanted to pick and choose when to play ahead of Rassie who worked his ass off to get his big break.
Gibson did the right thing, absolutely. What wasn't cool and conducive to the morale of a team already struggling was those rumours coming out during the CWC.
And because we got taken out like we did, it came back to bite both Gibson (who paid for it with his job) and Faf (stepping down from the captaincy).
Now we have a captain who isn't scoring, looks sad all the time, smiles and laughs at 3rd umpire reviews he knows aren't legit and continually spits on the field. With QdK losing the test captaincy, I am sure either Rassie or Markram will be made captain.

JohnMao

Executive Member
Geesus, what did George just do to his finger? Looks shattered!
Looks bad. Maybe split the tip of his finger or the nail.
Reminds me of how I dislocated the middle knuckle of my right ring finger playing cricket a couple of years ago. Holy moly that was sore. Still went in to bat afterwards! Stupidity on my part.

JohnMao

Executive Member
Not quite factually correct. AB went on a break that CSA allowed him to take. Then he came back, scored runs and retired. Gone. In no way did he state he wanted to play for the Proteas again...until the rumours of those hidden and secret talks came out during the CWC.
Makes it look like he tried, but didn't really. He hadn't played any local cricket and hadn't made known his feelings publicly to play for the Proteas again. If he was brought back and failed then Gibson would have still lost his job. And we would still be out.

stefan9

Executive Member
Very bad luck for big George. Going to need Aiden and Deano to help out here.
Someone still has to explain to me why elgar or temba are the first slip to the spinner. It has to be faf or aiden, you put your best catcher there.

Crucial phase need to break this partnership