Cricket: South Africa tour of Pakistan 2021

JohnStarr

Expert Member
The thing is, can we trust part-time spin to do a good job vs Pakistani batsmen in their own backyard? What if we drop mulder for linde? I know that's crazy considering how well mulder did vs Sri Lanka. I'd rather then bolster the batting and drop nortje then? Most importantly though, we must win the toss and bat first because what I've read is that the pitch turns a lot from day 4 onwards.
Yes and no. I think the first test will simply see a swop-out of KG for Sipamla. Lutho has talent, but KG is most definitely the incumbent.
Pakistani pitches don't turn like those dirt holes in India do, so maybe we don't need a second spinner. Otherwise they need to look at dropping a batter. Not sure they will, but hey.

stefan9

Executive Member
Yes and no. I think the first test will simply see a swop-out of KG for Sipamla. Lutho has talent, but KG is most definitely the incumbent.
Pakistani pitches don't turn like those dirt holes in India do, so maybe we don't need a second spinner. Otherwise they need to look at dropping a batter. Not sure they will, but hey.
If the pitch is turning square you need the extra spinner not seamer. If they want an extra spinner ngidi or nortje has to sit. If a pitch favors spin you don't need 4 seamers and with Mulder you have 3 already.
This side can't afford to weaken the batting. Their overall record is poor last 2 years and it's horrendous in Asia.

handyman007

The thing is, can we trust part-time spin to do a good job vs Pakistani batsmen in their own backyard? What if we drop mulder for linde? I know that's crazy considering how well mulder did vs Sri Lanka. I'd rather then bolster the batting and drop nortje then? Most importantly though, we must win the toss and bat first because what I've read is that the pitch turns a lot from day 4 onwards.
Drop Nortje? He is one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

stefan9

Executive Member
Drop Nortje? He is one of the first names on the team sheet for me.
One good performance doesn't make you a first name on the sheet. He is currently averaging 30 in test cricket, got a long way to go.

The only two who should be guaranteed spots at this stage is qdk & kg.

sand_man

Honorary Master
SA ladies currently playing Pakistan too, live on 201... LIzelle Lee out for 0, LBW, unfortunately no player referral in play. Cannot understand why. Lee's dismissal was an absolute shocker!! Umpires get it wrong so often, referral system should be mandatory!!

JohnStarr

Expert Member
One good performance doesn't make you a first name on the sheet. He is currently averaging 30 in test cricket, got a long way to go.

Bet you Faf will have something to say about that! And Elgar...

ShloshMalosh

Expert Member

And Deano

1st test should be our strongest team for the conditions. That said, its gonna be a while before we learn who our strongest team is.

Personally i reckon we should just experiment, we dont know how long cricket might still be around, and as far as the current WTC log is concerned, we aint winning it. So why not build for the next WTC cycle.

Back in the day we used to select like so (granted for club cricket, but principles are probably still the same):

1st pick your 4 best batsmen
Then 4 best bowlers for the conditions
then your keeper
Then decide:
a. two allrounders
b. Alrounder + exrtra bat
c. Alrounder + extra bowler

Obviously for example: QDK is in your top 4 bats but also your keeper, then you just add another batter cos you can "afford" it

All of that waffle aside, I reckon there wont be much change from the last test. Rabada in for Sipamla. And thats that. its our strongest side probably. But these youngsters need to get a look in sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 3WA

stefan9

Executive Member
Bet you Faf will have something to say about that! And Elgar...
They can disagree if they like. They both come of of a terrible year/18 months. One good series vs sri Lanka doesn't erase that.

At the moment the only consistently good players are kg & qdk. The rest are too inconsistent.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
They can disagree if they like. They both come of of a terrible year/18 months. One good series vs sri Lanka doesn't erase that.

At the moment the only consistently good players are kg & qdk. The rest are too inconsistent.
QdK seems to be in a bit of a slump which is concerning. Hopefully that changes next week.

ShloshMalosh

Expert Member
And Deano

1st test should be our strongest team for the conditions. That said, its gonna be a while before we learn who our strongest team is.

Personally i reckon we should just experiment, we dont know how long cricket might still be around, and as far as the current WTC log is concerned, we aint winning it. So why not build for the next WTC cycle.

Back in the day we used to select like so (granted for club cricket, but principles are probably still the same):

1st pick your 4 best batsmen
Then 4 best bowlers for the conditions
then your keeper
Then decide:
a. two allrounders
b. Alrounder + exrtra bat
c. Alrounder + extra bowler

Obviously for example: QDK is in your top 4 bats but also your keeper, then you just add another batter cos you can "afford" it

All of that waffle aside, I reckon there wont be much change from the last test. Rabada in for Sipamla. And thats that. its our strongest side probably. But these youngsters need to get a look in sooner rather than later.
oh yes and also remember that some of the youngns in the test squad are also in the T20 squad... and will remain in PAK while the test team comes home to prep for Aus.

We really need to beat Aus. India proved that is Aus cant be c*nts, they cant win. :)

JohnStarr

Expert Member
oh yes and also remember that some of the youngns in the test squad are also in the T20 squad... and will remain in PAK while the test team comes home to prep for Aus.

We really need to beat Aus. India proved that is Aus cant be c*nts, they cant win. :)
Hopefully when they arrive here a sandpaper manufacturer will have taken out a very large advert right at OR Tambo's international arrivals. Just as a reminder to the cheat...

GaskooN

Hopefully when they arrive here a sandpaper manufacturer will have taken out a very large advert right at OR Tambo's international arrivals. Just as a reminder to the cheat...

That can backfire , be wary the wounded wallaby. AUS will surely perform better than what they did vs IND, plus our pitches are fast bowlers paradises.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
That can backfire , be wary the wounded wallaby. AUS will surely perform better than what they did vs IND, plus our pitches are fast bowlers paradises.
True, but I think a bunch of the guys will be looking over their shoulders coming into this test series. Hoping it counts against them. I just want to see Warner score nothing. Can't stand the guy.

sand_man

Honorary Master
2nd ODI and SA ladies doing their best to lose this one...

Fielding has been woeful!!

sand_man

Honorary Master
SA 30/1, Markram 13[16], caught at slip. Spectacular catch too.

Reactions: 3WA

sand_man

Honorary Master
van der Dussen run out 17(30)... amateur's hour there between Dean and Rassie... run out in a 5 day test is just ridiculous!!