Crime Rates Down

xtermin8or

Expert Member
Contact Crimes have shown a significant decrease according to the latest SAPS crime statistics for April to September this year. The crime stats will now be released every six months, instead of annually.

the stats show a decrease of

Murder - 6.6%
Attempted Murder - 7.6%
Rape - 3.6%
Assault GBH - 2.8%
Common Assault - 5.1%
Aggravated Robbery - 9.7%
Common Robbery - 12.3%

House Robberies have gone up by 7%, business robberies by 29.3% and truckjacking by 53%

Gauteng's house robberies dropped by 7%, while in the Free State it has risen by 114%

the full report is available on the SAPS website

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I reckon these stats are complete rubbish....

But that is just my opinion of course, and I don't trust any stats the guavamint releases since they will skew them purposefully to make things seem better than they are.

BiteMe

Expert Member
funny, i have just read an article saying how crime rates have gone up, using the same data supplied.

just emphasis on the "other side"

stats...dont trust 'em

starfish103

There's nothing funny about it, in the post by Xtermin8or, you can see that certain types of crime have increased while others have decreased!

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Bull. Their new strategy of refusing to open cases for stuff is working. My moms friend was attacked and wanted a case opened. They refused and insisted that it must only go into the log of significant events or something. They even told her its so that it does not mess up their stats.

feo

Honorary Master
Add me to list that thinks these stats are bulldust.

BiteMe

Expert Member
There's nothing funny about it, in the post by Xtermin8or, you can see that certain types of crime have increased while others have decreased!
dear starfish, welcome to myadsl.

with reference to my quote, i say "funny" because depending on what the agenda of the parent poster is, it is either "crime has gone up" or "crime has gone down"

i find that funny. can you understand that? either crime is up , or it is down, there is no inbetween really. you cant be half-pregnant. i know categories can go up or down, but as I said, whomever it making the story gets to pick whether the absolute is "up" or "down", so who do you believe?

Leitmotif

Expert Member
A lot of those house robbery cases involve violence. Have a feeling that doesn't make it into the stats. UK style crime reporting.

marine1

Honorary Master
ROFLMAO anyone who actually thinks these stats hold water are brain dead. :D

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Who believes these stats anyway - considering that the top cop (Jacki Selebi) is corrupt.

sand_man

Honorary Master
thing about stats is they can be presented and manipulated in such a way as to prove and backup multiple points of view, for and against...

Skeptik

Banned
A lot of those house robbery cases involve violence. Have a feeling that doesn't make it into the stats. UK style crime reporting.
Yep, their whole classification system is different. A violent housebreaking would be classed as "aggrevated". That usually attracts a much stiffer sentence and the crime will not be 'screen out' by defectives.

Rozier

thing about stats is they can be presented and manipulated in such a way as to prove and backup multiple points of view, for and against...
Exactly! What do you suppose the chances are that the violent crime capital of the world will be posting credible stats? :rolleyes:

The smiling South African is the one who doesn't know what's going on.

sjackson

South Africa Crime Statistics 2001 - 2007 Trend Graph - Is the DA Deceiving?

Above are the raw trends as supplied by SAP Crime Statistics for 2007. [ New Window ]

Quite interesting that although these stats show an overall decrease in crime, the DA implies the same stats that they show an overall increase in by selectively highlighting certain areas without showing any meaningful trends

http://www.rainbowblog.co.za/node/37

Gooku

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Above are the raw trends as supplied by SAP Crime Statistics for 2007. [ New Window ]

Quite interesting that although these stats show an overall decrease in crime, the DA implies the same stats that they show an overall increase in by selectively highlighting certain areas without showing any meaningful trends

Do you ever intend to enter into discussion about the blog posts you are punting?

Xarog

Honorary Master

ras.