Criminal record

Fankza

If your were arrested and spend 2 days in holding cells and Police took your Fingerprints, that means you have a Criminal Record? Never went to Court! Released me after two days! (Shoplifting good/s worth R35)

genetic

Honorary Master
You will definitely be on record, but as a convicted criminal offence - you'd have to stand trial for that to happen.

Tman*

Expert Member
Nope, but it will flag if someone where to perform a crim check.

marine1

Honorary Master
Will only show a criminal record if you were convicted. But if someone has access to crim record profike it will show you were detained and arrested

FNfal

Executive Member
If your were arrested and spend 2 days in holding cells and Police took your Fingerprints, that means you have a Criminal Record? Never went to Court! Released me after two days! (Shoplifting good/s worth R35)
Were you released on bail or charges dropped ?
Need more info , age .

Iamnotageek

Expert Member
Same happened to me. I got arrested for "stealing" 2 candy bars. ( Total Cost was like R17 ). I ate them before paying and walked out.

Spent roughly 24 hrs in holding cell. Got released, went to court and that woman who handles whatever cases come before the magistrate that day was shocked that it even made it to court. Anyways, it was theft and I agree.

Case was thrown out before the magistrate even walked in. No criminal record.

However, when the cops tell you, "You can pay the admission of guilt and you'll be released", that's when you officially have a criminal record. Many people just plead guilty and pay the admission to get out of there, but what they don't know is once you do that you officially have a criminal record.

It would be best to check for yourself. I don't trust those people. If I'm not mistaken I think your local police station can check for you if you have a criminal record. I know they checked on their systems before throwing me into those holding cells.

[EDIT] If you have a record for theft for instance, you have to wait 10 years before it can be removed, provided you haven't been convicted for theft again within those 10 years. Trust me, 10 years is kak long to have something just sit there and haunt you.

Fankza

Were you released on bail or charges dropped ?
Need more info , age .
I'm 24 years! I don't know whether Charges were dropped or NOT. But... They said the Case it's NOT worth to go to court it's just a waste of Magistrate time. And they let me go, but they took my Fingerprints.

Join

I'm 24 years! I don't know whether Charges were dropped or NOT. But... They said the Case it's NOT worth to go to court it's just a waste of Magistrate time. And they let me go, but they took my Fingerprints.
Taking of Fingerprints is one of the processes done when booking you into the system.

Pitbull

Verboten
No

You need to have been found guilty by a court.

It could show a warrant if you didn't make an appearance or anything, but a record, no.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
If you paid an admission of guilt at the police station, then yes, it will show on your criminal record, irrelevant whether you have been to court or not. Go apply for a clearance certificate and you will see. If they did not force you to pay and sign anything and just released you after 2 days, it means that they have closed the case. No record, nothing.

Last edited: