Criminal tentacles sucking SA

BobbyMac

Expert Member
from article said:
As the Vietnamese Prime Minister told me earlier in the day, his country only started to win the war against crime after it introduced harsh penalties, including the death sentence, for corrupt officials. Supported by a system of promotions for public servants who identify those accepting bribes.
Enough said.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Enough said.
Seconded.

I think this is a problem but it only explains away one side of the problem. I doubt the cartels selling illegal drugs and DVD's are the same ones that are breaking into our houses and killing and raping us.

And although there’s always room for improvement, by any measure the SAPS is far ahead of where it was a decade back
I'm not sure I'd agree with this.

MyDraadloos

Expert Member
Crime is not under control ........ all criminals start off small and build their skills as they progress through life.

Sat on my balcony last night and watched 3 dodgy characters come down the road with a few sheets of corrugated roofing.

They were have dragging it which meant they did not really care to be discovered.

The police were not interested ........

chiskop

Executive Member
I'm not sure I'd agree with this. [crime now is lower than ten years ago]
Nevertheless, it is. Last week's m&g carried figures from 1994/5 which showed that in most categories crime was higher then than it is now. (That doesn't mean that it is acceptable now, or under control) Nothing that I can find on the m&g website, sorry.

Sat on my balcony last night and watched 3 dodgy characters come down the road with a few sheets of corrugated roofing.

They were have dragging it which meant they did not really care to be discovered.

The police were not interested ........
Perhaps, I don't know, they owned it, hence their lack of concern?

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Nevertheless, it is. Last week's m&g carried figures from 1994/5 which showed that in most categories crime was higher then than it is now. (That doesn't mean that it is acceptable now, or under control) Nothing that I can find on the m&g website, sorry.
Are you basing that on manipulated government stats? Hardly conclusive.

RichardP

Banned
<hypothetical>

If you look at the breakdown of crimes - in 1995 there were for example 1000 Armed robberys (Which includes Hijacking)

A few years ago the catagory 'Hijacking' was instroduced. Lets say there were 500 Hijackings and 500 Armed robberies.

The Govt has interpreted that as a 50% decrease in Armed robberies. as all they done was re-classify the same data. Its a standard statistics method to promote FUD

Syndyre

Honorary Master
<hypothetical>

If you look at the breakdown of crimes - in 1995 there were for example 1000 Armed robberys (Which includes Hijacking)

A few years ago the catagory 'Hijacking' was instroduced. Lets say there were 500 Hijackings and 500 Armed robberies.

The Govt has interpreted that as a 50% decrease in Armed robberies. as all they done was re-classify the same data. Its a standard statistics method to promote FUD
Probably something similar. They also don't take into account massive under-reporting because people can't be bothered with police incompetence. The only time police are generally called now is when a case number is needed for insurance or when someone is caught. The rest is either handled by private security companies or people don't bother.

mak2000

Expert Member
Probably something similar. They also don't take into account massive under-reporting because people can't be bothered with police incompetence. The only time police are generally called now is when a case number is needed for insurance or when someone is caught. The rest is either handled by private security companies or people don't bother.
Couldn't agree more. Also the police actively encourage not to report "small" crimes as they say that there no chance of them catching these criminals. Things such as attempted break-ins etc.

MyDraadloos

Expert Member
Perhaps, I don't know, they owned it, hence their lack of concern?
I pretended to take a picture with my phone, when they saw the flash they started to move a lot quicker ........ you don't move stuff around under the cover of darkness at 11pm in the evening.

Besides they were traveling in a straight line towards the informal scrap yard that buys all the stolen copper and scrap metal.

Bageloo

Expert Member
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20070129031420890C607544

Is it not the media that is creating a lot of misconceptions...? I was also under the impression that crime was out of control and yet it turns out there's been a steady decline over the past decade. Murder is one crime that is always reported and acording to this study it has declined by almost 50% compared to '94. I don't suppose this institutte is a mouthpiece of GVT.

Krustytheclown

"Otherwise law abiding citizens are fuelling the supply chain every time they buy anything form pirated DVDs and tax-free cigarettes to cheap clothing. They don’t seem to think twice about where they come from and are clearly not making the connection between a global network of sin and its side effect of violent crime."
These criminals aren't doing this for the fun of it. Someone is buying this stuff and as long as they cannot get employed and there's a market for stolen goods and it's so easy to do it (rob someone) there will always be criminals.

RichardP

Banned
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20070129031420890C607544

Is it not the media that is creating a lot of misconceptions...? I was also under the impression that crime was out of control and yet it turns out there's been a steady decline over the past decade. Murder is one crime that is always reported and acording to this study it has declined by almost 50% compared to '94. I don't suppose this institutte is a mouthpiece of GVT.
It could be a mouth piece, but the police force fabricate Evicence,loose guns and are taking an active part in crime syndicates. Now the ISS bases a study on the most unreliable source of information on the planet and expects everyone to believe it :D
Tell the dead people that Crime is on the decrease :)

Xarog

Honorary Master
Bageloo said:
Is murder really reported *all* the time? Where's your sources on that claim?

"Otherwise law abiding citizens are fuelling the supply chain every time they buy anything form pirated DVDs and tax-free cigarettes to cheap clothing. They don’t seem to think twice about where they come from and are clearly not making the connection between a global network of sin and its side effect of violent crime."
These criminals aren't doing this for the fun of it. Someone is buying this stuff and as long as they cannot get employed and there's a market for stolen goods and it's so easy to do it (rob someone) there will always be criminals.
Pirate DVDs and tax-free cigarrettes aren't procured through holding people up at gun-point or robbery.

People don't think crime is out of hand because they wake up one morning to find some of their appliances missing. They think it's out of hand because everyone know someone who's been robbed at gunpoint and fed a bullet.

Krustytheclown

What's happening here is that this whole freedom thing has come as a shock. White people living in suburbs during the apartheid era were not exposed to the crime that was happening! They were protected by the police (of course, black people in the townships had to deal with their problems themselves). Now they don't have the privelege of being "protected" (black people now also require the same amount of police protection) and it is this that crying about. So, has crime increased? No, you're just feeling it for the first time.

RichardP

Banned
Another addition Xarog, If a person is murdered, who is responsible for reporting a murder? The Person is dead!

If they cant find a dead person, then its a "Missing Persons" report

Krustytheclown

Its much easier to walk through the front door, point a gun to your face and take the TV, than to break in at night, try not wake anyone and quietly leave with the TV. The aim of the criminal is to get the TV, so they can sell it and make some money. The point I was making (which you missed) is that as long as there are people willing to buy that stolen TV then the criminal will continue to point a gun in your face (and maybe next time something goes wrong and he shoots you) and take your TV.

dlk001

Executive Member
Pirate DVDs and tax-free cigarrettes aren't procured through holding people up at gun-point or robbery.
Senseless murdering of people is getting out of control. Its really sad!!!

The last time I was at Bruma Flee Market, I saw those guys selling Pirate DVD's cleaning their guns. Maybe its just another business man with a gun to protect themselves from thieves.