Criminal tentacles sucking SA

RichardP

Banned
Forget about IQ's and maybe answer this simple question. Why won't you admit that crime (murder in particular) has decreased?
-again- if crime has decreased, you go leave your Sandon home at night and go walk through Alex/JHB/Capetown/Daveyton/Benoni/Anywhere

I know African people that wont go in Alexandra in the DAYTIME! never mind at night. What you fail to realise is that Actions speak louder than words - Talk is cheap, and thats all you do.

Bageloo

Expert Member
-again- if crime has decreased, you go leave your Sandon home at night and go walk through Alex/JHB/Capetown/Daveyton/Benoni/Anywhere

I know African people that wont go in Alexandra in the DAYTIME! never mind at night. What you fail to realise is that Actions speak louder than words - Talk is cheap, and thats all you do.
Our home is still in the township in Durban - KwaMashu. Today I can walk there at midnight. Back in the '80s and '90s, there was never a township as notorius for violent crime as kwaMashu was. At some point schools were closed at L and M sections due to gangsters terrorising the area.

The people that wont go to Alex in the daytime have probably never been there before. There is a place in Alex where the who's who of Joburg bigshot BEE's go for drinks and some fun. The last time I went there, my C180 mercedes was the cheapest car amongst the cars that were there. Ask any celebrity in Jozi, they'll tell you that is the place to be.

Last edited:

RichardP

Banned
Our home is still in the township in Durban - KwaMashu. Today I can walk there at midnight. Back in the '90s, there was never a township as notorius for violent crime as kwaMashu was. At some point schools were closed at L and M sections due to gangsters terrorising the area.

The people that wont go to Alex in the daytime have probably never been there before. There is a place in Alex where the who's who of Joburg bigshot BEE's go for drinks and some fun. The last time I went there, my C180 mercedes was the cheapest car amongst the cars that were there. Ask any celebrity in Jozi, they'll tell you that is the place to be.
I rest my case, you are not one of the suffering South Africans, I bet you have never suffered a minute in your life. You are just as out of touch with reality as Mbeki and Selebi.
How is your latest BEE buisness venture going? :mad:

Bageloo

Expert Member
I rest my case, you are not one of the suffering South Africans, I bet you have never suffered a minute in your life. You are just as out of touch with reality as Mbeki and Selebi.
How is your latest BEE buisness venture going? :mad:
I wish I could also get a GVT tender. I'm unfortunately working for a salary like you. I don't have enough "gonnections" in the high places. I have suffered most of my life and it hurts me for you to say I've never suffered in my whole life. I still suffer today but overall the suffering is less compared to when I was younger simple because unlike before my destiny is entirely on my own hands. In a way Richard, i can understand that one day you woke up to some kind of nightmare and still cannot believe that this is happening. I don't condone it at all but that's the kind of nightmarish situations we were raised under. Hence we are not very alarmed, somehow we have developed some kind of coping mechanism. One person was commenting the other day, that nowadays people rarey get murdered, they are either killed on road accidents or by AIDS. Every Saturday day in a township, it's multiple funerals that are not due to murder but AIDS is the no1 cause. What I'm trying to say is that we all suffer, but our sufferings are different depending on one's own situation. No one has an easy life!!!

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Wait, so you're equating death by AIDS - an STD, or Stupidity Transfer Disease - with being targetted by crime? You're comparing people being killed by their own lust and blockheadedness with people who die through no fault of their own at the hands of violent barbarians?

The only thing that they have in common is that the government's policies exacerbate the damage.

icyrus

Executive Member
One person was commenting the other day, that nowadays people rarey get murdered, they are either killed on road accidents or by AIDS. Every Saturday day in a township, it's multiple funerals that are not due to murder but AIDS is the no1 cause. What I'm trying to say is that we all suffer, but our sufferings are different depending on one's own situation. No one has an easy life!!!
If you believe the official stats:

Murder - 26 832
Attempted - 27 300

2005/6

Murder - 18 545
Attempted - 20 553

I think it would be hard to call 51 people a day being murdered "rarely". It is dwarfed by the AIDs toll though, guess who we can thank for that gem.

Bageloo

Expert Member
If you believe the official stats:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.php?p=855369&postcount=6

I think it would be hard to call 51 people a day being murdered "rarely". It is dwarfed by the AIDs toll though, guess who we can thank for that gem.
Yes, the murder rate is exceptionally high for a country at peace. But I was just illustrating a point about other problems that people are faced with. The fact that I'm not complaining about crime does not mean I have nothing to complain about. I was particularly responding to RachardP's claim that I have never tasted suffering.

Bageloo

Expert Member
Wait, so you're equating death by AIDS - an STD, or Stupidity Transfer Disease - with being targetted by crime? You're comparing people being killed by their own lust and blockheadedness with people who die through no fault of their own at the hands of violent barbarians?

The only thing that they have in common is that the government's policies exacerbate the damage.
Spare a thought though for the victims of AIDS who got infected through rape! Rape by an HIV infected scumbag is probably the worst hand that can be dealt anyone in life. This is particulary rife within poor communities where most teanage girls' first sexual encounters are not consensual.

Last edited:

BobbyMac

Expert Member
Yes, the murder rate is exceptionally high for a country at peace. But I was just illustrating a point about other problems that people are faced with. The fact that I'm not complaining about crime does not mean I have nothing to complain about. I was particularly responding to RachardP's claim that I have never tasted suffering.
Richard's point is that you are no longer suffering. At all. My point, before your stupidity got the better of you, was thatyou live in the confines of an electrified fence. I was wondering why, as you are trying to stress that crime is not currently a problm. Trolling seems to b ur favorite hobby.

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Spare a thought though for the victims of AIDS who got infected through rape! Rape by an HIV infected scumbag is probably the worst hand that can be dealt anyone in life. This is particulary rife within poor communities where most teanage girls' first sexual encounters are not consensual.
Okay, so there are communities where rape is the norm for teenage girls... and you claim that crime is not a problem? Yes, rape is pretty much a death sentence in SA. Now ask yourself, how did rape become so pervasive?

The vast majority of AIDS infections are not spread by rape. They're spread by people ignorant of their disease, or who believe in alternative cures, or who are convinced that condoms are a plot to keep them from reproducing. People who now think that a shower will cure AIDS, and that a real man can't get AIDS. That is the government's fault.

Bageloo

Expert Member
Okay, so there are communities where rape is the norm for teenage girls... and you claim that crime is not a problem? Yes, rape is pretty much a death sentence in SA. Now ask yourself, how did rape become so pervasive?
Please point me to the post or thread where I made such a claim. I only pointed to the study that shows that crime - murder in particular, has been decreasing from 1994. I don't know if that to you means that I'm claiming that crime is not a problem. I did not conduct the study, it was conducted by Institute of Security Studies. If you think they are a Gvt mouthpiece then read more about the nature of the organisation on their website. http://www.iss.co.za/index.php?link_id=1&link_type=13&tmpl_id=3 You can choose to dispute their findings but based on what? Based on what you read in the papers and see on TV? Yes murder rate is still very high but also more of it is being covered in the news nowadays whereas before people got killed and no one gave a damn because it was never shown on SABC news or it never made front page news on the BEELD. Perhaps it's because crime used to affect mainly people with low social status. Nowdays it affects everybody, rich or poor and hence we are seeing this outcry.

The vast majority of AIDS infections are not spread by rape. They're spread by people ignorant of their disease, or who believe in alternative cures, or who are convinced that condoms are a plot to keep them from reproducing. People who now think that a shower will cure AIDS, and that a real man can't get AIDS. That is the government's fault.
I can't dispute any of those facts you mentioned. They are particularly true in my province of birth- KZN where AIDS is a real problem. I however was pointing out that your statement is not fair to those who got Aids through other means other than consensual sex.

dlk001

Executive Member
Although I think you came across as insensitive to other suffers, you have a interesting perception on this.

Bageloo

Expert Member
Richard's point is that you are no longer suffering. At all. My point, before your stupidity got the better of you, was thatyou live in the confines of an electrified fence. I was wondering why, as you are trying to stress that crime is not currently a problm. Trolling seems to b ur favorite hobby.
Do u even know the meaning of the word troll? You also missed the point where I mentioned that my home is in KwaMashu where there are no electric fences. I don't live there fulltime as I'm working in Joburg but my mother and my siblings live there. I go there for weekends and holidays. My own assessment of the area is that crime has decreased. Even the boom in property prices in township areas is testimony to the fact that crime, which was a major problem in the townships has decreased.

BobbyMac

Expert Member
Even the boom in property prices in township areas is testimony to the fact that crime, which was a major problem in the townships has decreased.
Property prices increase due to demand increasing and notdecreases in crime.

RichardP

Banned
Rubbish. A decrease in crime does not stimulate propertydemand; the desire to move out of a shack does.
Hear Hear..

So the summary is -
(1) Crime is killing SA
(2) Govt and some select people are so bind, they cant see the obvious crime.

If its a PERCEIVED problem, then why Bogeloo, Why I ask is the Conscription being mulled to "Curb the incidents of young adult violence and crime" BY the Government.

Why was there a moritorium on Crime stats?
Why have my insurance premiums not gone down with less crime?
In the last year, 5 of my family members and friends have been victims of crime (1 Hajacking, 1 armed robbery, My father in-law walked in to a SPCA to dontate stuff and was robbed there, Old-age home robbed where they tied up a 90yr old lady and rangsacked her flat!, My Father was stabbed in broad daylight IN HIS CAR by someone yeilding a screwdriver)
The 14 years before that - NOT 1 Incident!

I do agree, Crime has been in the townships for years, and now its just moving to the suburbs - Does that mean I have to accept the crime level? - As the usual excuse is "The Africans had to dea with a high level of crime during apartheid, its now being equalised"

And those excuses for non-action!
Housing demand is up 'cos of Secure complexes being built - NOT less crime.