Criminals messing up noble Woza Online project in SA

So you have DTI as a headline sponsor but they haven't heard of it, Vodacom Business running the platform - at least they have found some way to get market share, and Google paying for it and not taking responsibility. A recipe for a disaster

Then there are all the web hosting providers who lost their livelihoods because Google was giving this stuff away for free. There must be some irony there.

I seem to recall the 'commerce platform' on it isn't even real though - you take stuff through to checkout and then go no further (on the free site). Woza must either put in a proper commerce platform or remove the semi-functionality.

The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), which is a headline partner in Woza Online, said last year that they are not aware of Woza Online.

Welcome to South Africa.

To be honest I can understand why it takes a ling time for Google to take down a site, the claim has to be investigated first or competing businesses will simply report one another and kill the platform that way. the DTi is clearly inapt so it does not matter what they say.

next a woza online url should not be used for online shopping, ever, if you cant fork out the money to pay for a retail platform, the transaction should be COD, and it is our responsibility as Users to not fall for scams. thinking is key here, a field that I find most users are not capable of anymore....

The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), which is a headline partner in Woza Online, said last year that they are not aware of Woza Online.

:erm:

It is a great initiative to get people into the market and from there move on to a different solution. Unfortunately where there is opportunity to criminals to take advantage they do.

Scary that the Dept of Trade & Industry has not heard of the project even though they are one of the main backers of the project.

An introductory paragraph to a similar article could read: "Politicians have already caused tremendous economic and social damage in South Africa, and the fact that they will exploit any situation is shown by some of them abusing the system to scam citizens."

You're on the internet

Tracking fraudulent use of a platform is a full time job. I believe nobody at the department of google business vodacom affairs is doing this job. The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

Last edited:
Back