Criminals posing as Department of Health employees to rob homes

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Criminals posing as Department of Health employees to rob homes

Fidelity Services Group CEO Wahl Bartmann has warned South Africans that criminals are pretending to be representatives from the Department of Health to gain access to their homes.

These criminals, who are dressed in uniforms and carry official-looking documentation, are capitalising on concerns about the coronavirus outbreak to target people.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Just yesterday there was a woman in PTA East that reported about a woman wanting water, while she went to get a glass of water, the woman followed her inside and quickly darted into a bedroom to take the daughters cellphone. Luckily the woman suspected something was out of place and the cellphone was recovered. A glass over water can be given to someone throught a gate, no need to have it open.

Criminals will use various stories (on you and family and workers) to gain access to your house to steal or rob.

1584613051812.png

Reactions: ES1

We Love Bass

Just yesterday there was a woman in PTA East that reported about a woman wanting water, while she went to get a glass of water, the woman followed her inside and quickly darted into a bedroom to take the daughters cellphone. Luckily the woman suspected something was out of place and the cellphone was recovered. A glass over water can be given to someone throught a gate, no need to have it open.

Criminals will use various stories (on you and family and workers) to gain access to your house to steal or rob.

View attachment 803389

What happened to the water?

Flanders

Honorary Master

View attachment 803389

The old water trick, 'ey?

No, fsck that. Even going to your gate can be dangerous. Personally, I'm more of a follower of MightyQuin's type of philosophy.

Neuk_

Executive Member
In general we know who to expect at our house and advise both our domestic and gardener who to expect, anyone else we can see on our CCTv and if necessary either ignore them ringing the bell or tell them to take a hike.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master

View attachment 803389

Hmm, I'd just spray them with the hosepipe.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
When someone knocks on my front door, I just shout fuk off through it and carry on with my day.

No family or friends come to our house without prior invite or arrangement.

So by default the rest are told in no uncertain terms.

Hmm

Nope

You don't.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
20m gap from our front wall to house door, dogs roaming between with no access and no doorbell. Goodluck :p

Acid0

Expert Member
If our country was efficient I would maybe have fallen for this sort of trick, but I know our government cant do anything so it wont happen :)

ForceFate

Honorary Master
My parents live in a part of the country where they trust everything that looks like a human being. I went to visit this past weekend and both doors leading to the yard were not locked. One was wide open.

It's a relatively tranquil area but that can change in a matter of days. I'm worried.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
When someone knocks on my front door, I just shout fuk off through it and carry on with my day.

No family or friends come to our house without prior invite or arrangement.

So by default the rest are told in no uncertain terms.

Same here, most people I know don't even have a bell to ring and no way of getting into the property to knock on a door. Only way is to phone

irBosOtter

Expert Member
My parents live in a part of the country where they trust everything that looks like a human being. I went to visit this past weekend and both doors leading to the yard were not locked. One was wide open.

It's a relatively tranquil area but that can change in a matter of days. I'm worried.

Dude, they need to lock their doors at least. Like you say it's all tranquil in that area but this is SA afterall.

surface

Honorary Master

Nice. We were brought up like that - back at "home". :)

Vorastra

Executive Member

View attachment 803389
This is why you give nothing to no one not even at the gate ever. Go to the next house.

Utterly Confused

So if a policeman rockes up at my house and demands that I opened the door, I will tell him to get lost because they did not tell me beforehand that they were coming. So who can you trust anymore!

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Nice. We were brought up like that - back at "home". :)
Yeah, this is where I grew up. A place where people still forget to lock doors before going to bed but with proliferation of drugs and increasing number of addicts, things are changing.