Curious WIFI SSID issue (not urgent but puzzling...)

OnlyOneKenobi

I have a strange query related to my WIFI Setup at home.

Firstly, the disclaimer to cover my own behind : my WIFI is managed by my ISP and as such I don't have admin rights or control over my router or WIFI configuration at all.

Now, on the the observation.

I have many devices from smart phones to tablets, consoles and computers that can see, connect to and use my SSID perfectly. There is no issue with maintaining connectivity, speed works fine with no dips at all and there doesn't seem to be any kind of interference.

Now, I have two devices - a Canon EOS camera which has WIFI capabilities and a USB WIFI modem which are completely unable to see my WIFI SSID even when I am in the same room as the router. They can see neighboring WIFI SSID's and they both can see and connect to any hotspot that I create using various smartphones and tablets without problems.

When I intially bought the camera earlier this year, I was able to connect to the SSID without problems - however in recent months I was unable to.

I have asked my ISP for advice and they did confirm that they have not changed anything on their side that could explain this issue. The tech support guy did also upgrade the firmware on my router and rebooted it, but it has not made any difference.

No matter what I do though, neither the USB modem (NETGEAR WIRELESS N-300) nor the Camera (EOS 750D) can even see the SSID of my home network. Even if I manually enter the SSID and password information, these devices cannot connect to the network.

I don't understand why all of my devices can work 100% on this network and these other two devices can't. If the devices were faulty, then surely they wouldn't be able to "see" or connect to ANY SSID - and yet they can. If there was an issue with my network, then my other devices wouldn't work - and my ISP would have picked up a problem on their side after I logged a support ticket.

It's not urgent or even important as there are workarounds for the camera (create a hotspot from the camera and connect devices to that) but I am quite stubborn and now that I am aware of two devices that can't connect to my network in the way that I want to use it:wtf:, it will irritate me until I can figure out why this is happening ;)

Level7

Level-7 Representative
Company Rep
I have a strange query related to my WIFI Setup at home.

Firstly, the disclaimer to cover my own behind : my WIFI is managed by my ISP and as such I don't have admin rights or control over my router or WIFI configuration at all.

Now, on the the observation.

I have many devices from smart phones to tablets, consoles and computers that can see, connect to and use my SSID perfectly. There is no issue with maintaining connectivity, speed works fine with no dips at all and there doesn't seem to be any kind of interference.

Now, I have two devices - a Canon EOS camera which has WIFI capabilities and a USB WIFI modem which are completely unable to see my WIFI SSID even when I am in the same room as the router. They can see neighboring WIFI SSID's and they both can see and connect to any hotspot that I create using various smartphones and tablets without problems.

When I intially bought the camera earlier this year, I was able to connect to the SSID without problems - however in recent months I was unable to.

I have asked my ISP for advice and they did confirm that they have not changed anything on their side that could explain this issue. The tech support guy did also upgrade the firmware on my router and rebooted it, but it has not made any difference.

No matter what I do though, neither the USB modem (NETGEAR WIRELESS N-300) nor the Camera (EOS 750D) can even see the SSID of my home network. Even if I manually enter the SSID and password information, these devices cannot connect to the network.

I don't understand why all of my devices can work 100% on this network and these other two devices can't. If the devices were faulty, then surely they wouldn't be able to "see" or connect to ANY SSID - and yet they can. If there was an issue with my network, then my other devices wouldn't work - and my ISP would have picked up a problem on their side after I logged a support ticket.

It's not urgent or even important as there are workarounds for the camera (create a hotspot from the camera and connect devices to that) but I am quite stubborn and now that I am aware of two devices that can't connect to my network in the way that I want to use it:wtf:, it will irritate me until I can figure out why this is happening ;)

Perhaps you could try changing the SSID to something else and see if that helps?

Are you using a wifi range extender anywhere?

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Is the Wi-fi operating on 2,4GHz or 5GHz? Possibly the camera cannot see it on 5GHz.

OnlyOneKenobi

Perhaps you could try changing the SSID to something else and see if that helps?

Are you using a wifi range extender anywhere?

I wasn't using a range extender, no - I happened to have a spare one laying around which I set up last night (test) - and using it or not using it, doesn't make a difference.

I'll ask my ISP to see about changing the SSID as I don't have access to do it myself ;)

Is the Wi-fi operating on 2,4GHz or 5GHz? Possibly the camera cannot see it on 5GHz.

Not sure - I think it's 5Ghz... like I said, I'm not really able or allowed to poke around with the setup as it's managed by my ISP. The camera - I'll do some digging to see whether or not it supports 5Ghz.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
WiFi AP is using Channels 12-13.

South Africa is restricted to up to Channel 11 and the devices that don't see the SSID are forced to that regional specification.

Reading the rest of your description and the fact that it worked before means the ISP set it to Auto.

Routers check channels on restart and because 12/13 isn't allowed in general those will be open and it will use that channel.

So a restart may solve your problem temporarily.

To fix it permanently the ISP will need to do either set the channel manually to 11 or below.

OR

Change the country of the Wifi Config to America or South Africa so the Auto is limited to 11 channels only.

If you use something like Homedale on your laptop it will be able to confirm what channel the SSID is running on. I'll put money on it being Channel 12 or higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Last edited:

irBosOtter

Expert Member
What camera model do you have? Most of them creates it's own wifi hotspot and you connect to it directly via wifi from your phone or tablet. Not many can connect to AP's, depending on model. Or they can only connect to a phone/tablet hotspot, not AP's

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The Canons can work with an AP.

And OP has already confirmed that since it did work before.

You'll find that something like the Xbox One is also limited to Channels 1-11 as are many other devices that take regional wifi regulation seriously.

OnlyOneKenobi

What camera model do you have? Most of them creates it's own wifi hotspot and you connect to it directly via wifi from your phone or tablet. Not many can connect to AP's, depending on model. Or they can only connect to a phone/tablet hotspot, not AP's

The Canon EOS 750d can do both - it has options for Infrastructure mode (using your SSID) or creating a hotspot (Camera access point mode).

I've used both methods before, but recently unable to use option 1 as it doesn't see my SSID anymore.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The Canon EOS 750d can do both - it has options for Infrastructure mode (using your SSID) or creating a hotspot (Camera access point mode).

I've used both methods before, but recently unable to use option 1 as it doesn't see my SSID anymore.

I've already solved your problem...see my post above.

Level7

Level-7 Representative
Company Rep

I have it on good word that your ISP does allow access to your internal router just not the dish on the roof :) Ask the friendly support staff to change the logins so that you can access the internal router.