Current website design `trend'.

broadone

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is this the new standard now in web design?

I'm seeing it quite often but not everywhere of course.

What other style(s) do you think is modern and very popular?

ITCynic

Expert Member
I dont think is a new standard, it has just become very popular and trendy.

I think if you Google website design trends for 2017 you will get many opinions on the subject.

After all beauty is in the eye of the beholder so what would be awesome to one target market might not be to another market segment.

Personally I think the style of the website depends on what you are trying to accomplish on a website. I would not use a parallax style for a shopping site but rather a column style front page. Again all very subjective.

PM me your website address and let me have a look at it and I can give you my perspective. (I must be upfront and admit I am a website developer)

rorz0r

Executive Member
Hah, it's more of a fad than a "standard". What's more important these days is that your site works well and looks good on mobile ("responsive"). The SID site is pretty good.

As for "styles" the general style these days is pretty much flat everything, perhaps with brightish colours and a bit of black and white. Fonts are also pretty important.

ITCynic

Expert Member
I think sites designed on the "mobile first" concept will be the latest trend.

Try resizing you browser width on the MyBB main site to see an example of mobile friendly design.
Try resizing on http://www.timeslive.co.za/ so see a site that is not mobile friendly.

I am currently working on a mobile friendly wordpresss design that has 7 design styles based on screen widths of various devices.

Takes quite a bit of time to do as you are in effect styling a website mutiple times for multiple devices. (phones, tablets, desktop in portrait and landscape.)

Gets tricky whe you are using columns that must play nicely for all screen sizes.

I work with 4 columns on large displays and then scale to 2 columns then scale to 1 column depending on screen size.

4 -> 2 -> 1 works nicely

Other colums style get a bit messy

Last edited:

ITCynic

Expert Member
Can you share what are the screen widths for the various devices you mention?
This is what I use.

There are so many different devices with different screen sizes you cannot accomodate every one.

/* 1 Column Grid 0px - 319px */
/* 1 Column Grid 320px - 479px */
/* 2 Column Grid 480px - 759px */
/* 2 Column Grid 760px - 979px */
/* 4 Column Grid 980px - 1199px */
/* 4 Column Grid 1200px - 1599px */
/* 4 Column Grid 1600px - Infinity */

These play nicely on phones, tablets and desktops in both portrait and landscape.

rward

Personal Opinion: I feel parallax is quite 2016 and will make your site look dated.

This is what I use.

There are so many different devices with different screen sizes you cannot accomodate every one.

/* 1 Column Grid 0px - 319px */
/* 1 Column Grid 320px - 479px */
/* 2 Column Grid 480px - 759px */
/* 2 Column Grid 760px - 979px */
/* 4 Column Grid 980px - 1199px */
/* 4 Column Grid 1200px - 1599px */
/* 4 Column Grid 1600px - Infinity */

These play nicely on phones, tablets and desktops in both portrait and landscape.
Second personal opinion - Iagree with the above but don't be afriad to add more breakpoints when and where your design needs it.
If content isn't looking right at 820px then add a breakpoint and fix it.

ITCynic

Expert Member
Second personal opinion - I agree with the above but don't be afriad to add more breakpoints when and where your design needs it. If content isn't looking right at 820px then add a breakpoint and fix it.
Excellent point raised. Those work for my designs but there is nothing to stop you reducing / increasing the amount of breakpoints.

If one works on the "mobile first" design strategy, you can add breakpoints where needed as you get to bigger screen sizes.

Last edited: