[Currie Cup 2012] And then there were six.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Thursday, 11 August 2011

Six teams to play in Absa Currie Cup Premier Division from next year

The Absa Currie Cup Premier Division will be contested by six teams from 2012 and eight teams will play in the Absa Currie Cup First Division, the SARU General Council decided today at a meeting in Newlands.

The decision was confirmed after a majority vote was cast in favour of the format by delegates of SARU’s 14 provincial unions. The Absa Currie Cup Premier Division currently consists of eight provincial teams.

“The General Council accepted by majority vote an Executive Council proposal of an Absa Currie Cup Premier Division which will consist of six teams from next year. Our unions debated this proposal, as well as a counter-proposal, in a robust and mature manner and in the end they made a decision which will ultimately benefit South African rugby,” said SARU President, Regan Hoskins.

Mr Hoskins, James Stoffberg (SARU Vice-President) and Jurie Roux (SARU CEO) were also confirmed as the SARU delegates to SASCOC, the SA Olympic body.

Another point on the agenda was the discussion of South African rugby franchises’ participation in Vodacom Super Rugby post 2012. This topic was deferred for discussion at the President’s Forum to be held in November.

<contact details removed>

Issued by SARU Communications

Last edited:

Bizkit87

Executive Member
well, as nostalgic as people want to be about the currie cup, it's no longer the premier competition for South African rugby teams, its second to Super Rugby.

Peon

Expert Member
Griquas is doing ok and deserves inclusion. Im liking what I see with Leopards rugby as well.

I'm going to the first division...

Or, rather, 6 from 8 means - normal relegation/promotion aside - another two must also disappear. Current log says that BULLS and pumas must go first div while leopards and cheetahs can play it out with those who qualify for promotion at the end. Or will they just say "sorry, griffons/eagles/bulldogs/whoever, well played but we will be sending some teams down, not up"

SARU wearing their super duper thinking caps upside down again.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I'm going to the first division...

Or, rather, 6 from 8 means - normal relegation/promotion aside - another two must also disappear. Current log says that BULLS and pumas must go first div while leopards and cheetahs can play it out with those who qualify for promotion at the end. Or will they just say "sorry, griffons/eagles/bulldogs/whoever, well played but we will be sending some teams down, not up"

SARU wearing their super duper thinking caps upside down again.
My bet is on them saying srcew you to the First Division, and making it a meaningless season for those teams.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Sharks,Lions,Bulls,Cheetahs ,WP and ????
Griquas.

Although I would say the bottom 2 teams should still contest for their place in the competition. An automatic relegation for the bottom team and play-off for team finishing fifth.