Customer charged for declined payments during bank outage

Antelope

“We have contacted our customer to assure him that we will provide feedback once our investigation has been concluded.”

Fnb actually provides feedback?
They never replied to a complaint of mine at all, besides providing a reference number.

I eventually received 2 apology letters for my actual complaint through the banking ombudsman, months later, and they requested further info in the same letter. (with no details who to send it to)
But i never received any communication from fnb itself.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Vote with your wallet. Capitec returned my money when I was impacted with the Nedbank cockup and they even gave me 80c in SMS fees even though I didn't have sms notifications active. Great bank!

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
In my lifetime banking with FNB in both a personal and business capacity I have experienced three issues with their services. Each and every time they told me that they are not responsible for the 'inconvenience' as it is due to a system error. In every case I had to rectify the unexpected situation on my own, the onus was placed on the customer. They also didn't appreciate it when I stated that systems are a human implementation hence it is their responsibility. But yeah... water under the bridge, until they flood me again.

GMAN03

In my books that is fraud, a malicious digital charge for zero service delivered if true.
Unfortunately fraud requires the intention to defraud which becomes almost impossible to prove in this instance.

I actually did expect this to become a problem given the way these transactions were declined so find it interesting that FNB didn't have the foresight to see this coming and get out ahead of it.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
Unfortunately fraud requires the intention to defraud which becomes almost impossible to prove in this instance.

I actually did expect this to become a problem given the way these transactions were declined so find it interesting that FNB didn't have the foresight to see this coming and get out ahead of it.

Its digital, not manually personal, and if digital is that fast one way, it must be evenly fast correcting if a mistake given 24 hours.

Young people born into it won't understand, but long go paper based banking bank costs were few and not a problem, then came digital to make work easier and save costs for the bank right, since then bank costs became a growing problem. The next cost is just a digital click away, that easy, that is just wrong in principle for your money forcefully lying in a bank. For me banking had became a risk, a risk(forced) I cannot avoid to have.

Last edited:

Louis72

Expert Member
Yup sounds like FNB all right. SO experienced this exact problem way back in 2018 already randomly with her card.

Moved to Absa never had these system issues again.

Louis72

Expert Member

Well one might speculate that they knew this would happen but simply knew that the majority of customers would not even notice.
Those small groups that make a noise will get refunded eventually.

krycor

Honorary Master
It's a fee that really shouldn't exist in the first place.

It’s a service that’s badly run. So if you consider what info is available vs what you get notified about, that cost seems outrageous.

Ie

Payment failed vs Rxyz @ random ecom pos

It annoys me that they do this as when an errant ecom subscription bounces due to bad planning on my part (so infrequently) it’s like what was it.. oh we don’t know because there is ****** all info supplied.

In the banking error situation this is aggravated further as you don’t know what service payment bounced and need to wait for them to send a fail or service to stop.

And it’s charged for at a premium..

Drifter

Honorary Master
It’s a service that’s badly run. So if you consider what info is available vs what you get notified about, that cost seems outrageous.

Ie

Payment failed vs Rxyz @ random ecom pos

It annoys me that they do this as when an errant ecom subscription bounces due to bad planning on my part (so infrequently) it’s like what was it.. oh we don’t know because there is ****** all info supplied.

In the banking error situation this is aggravated further as you don’t know what service payment bounced and need to wait for them to send a fail or service to stop.

And it’s charged for at a premium..
Nonsense, you can see that on your statement. Also. I receive ans SMS to say which transaction was returned and why.