Customer Rights Repair Gone Wrong

estmntt

Just wondering if anyone knows exactly what rights a customer has on a bad experience at a mechanic.

I sent in an old Forrester to be repaired for a big job (replace head gasket). Took a long time to get it back. When it came back, it drove but there were a couple problems: steering made a loud noise when turning, car hesitated for a second when applying the accelerator before pulling off. Then it completely stalled once or twice. This visit cost about R32 000 for parts and labour

Took it back to mechanic. He fixed the hesitation and stalling issue at no charge. He charged for fixing the steering which he said was unrelated. I'm pretty sure the steering noise wasn't there but couldnt be certain as my wife drives the car usually. So I paid for that just wanting to get it done with. This visit cost about R12 000 for parts and labour

So the car comes back to me again. Now it's extremely loud, sounds like a boat. Smells of burning. Cant drive it. So the mechanic came to pick it up again.

So I'm wondering now what options do I legally have? Can I demand a full refund for all previous 'repairs'? Partial refund? Or he must fix the issue now once and for all at his cost? Because I obviusoly paid the R32 000 the first time under the impression that the problem would be fixed. I can't afford to pay anything more and dont believe I should either. If he said from the start that it would cost R60 00 to fix I obviously would have said no and just put the money towards a second hand car.

If you do know what options I have please help. It would really be appreciated.

(Company is a small private business, not consumer facing (more for company fleets etc), or a franchise - so there's no threat of bad advertising or opportunity of speaking to corporate etc.

Last edited:

ubercal

Expert Member
Just wondering if anyone knows exactly what rights a customer has on a bad experience at a mechanic.

I sent in an old Forrester to be repaired for a big job (replace head gasket). Took a long time to get it back. When it came back, it drove but there were a couple problems: steering made a loud noise when turning, car hesitated for a second when applying the accelerator before pulling off. Then it completely stalled once or twice. This visit cost about R32 000 for parts and labour

Took it back to mechanic. He fixed the hesitation and stalling issue at no charge. He charged for fixing the steering which he said was unrelated. I'm pretty sure the steering noise wasn't there but couldnt be certain as my wife drives the car usually. So I paid for that just wanting to get it done with. This visit cost about R12 000 for parts and labour

So the car comes back to me again. Now it's extremely loud, sounds like a boat. Smells of burning. Cant drive it. So the mechanic came to pick it up again.

So I'm wondering now what options do I legally have? Can I demand a full refund for all previous 'repairs'? Partial refund? Or he must fix the issue now once and for all at his cost? Because I obviusoly paid the R32 000 the first time under the impression that the problem would be fixed. I can't afford to pay anything more and dont believe I should either. If he said from the start that it would cost R60 00 to fix I obviously would have said no and just put the money towards a second hand car.

If you do know what options I have please help. It would really be appreciated.

(Company is a small private business, not consumer facing (more for company fleets etc), or a franchise - so there's no threat of bad advertising or opportunity of speaking to corporate etc.
Where u based ? Cant help with getting your money back but can advise on a decent mechanic that should fix head gasket sharp sharp.