Cutting off your Internet connection for piracy: ISPA responds

shb

I don't think this will ever work properly. Only two other countries have 'successfully' managed a graduated response approach and there are huge cost implications.
(The copyright holder has to monitor the work and inform the ISP who then has to get a court order to cut off the offender's internet.)

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
i feel sorry for the film/music industry. they lose so much money with illegal downloading. south park said it best:

Detective: This is the home of Lars Ulrich, the drummer for Metallica. (they approach a bush) Look. There's Lars now, sitting by his pool. (he's seen sitting on the edge of a chaise longue, his face in his hands, softly sobbing)

Kyle: What's the matter with him?

Detective: This month he was hoping to have a gold-plated shark tank bar installed right next to the pool, but thanks to people downloading his music for free, he must now wait a few months before he can afford it. (a close-up of Lars sobbing) Come. There's more. (leads them away. Next seen is a small airport at night) Here's Britney Spears' private jet. Notice anything? (a shot of Britney boarding a plane, then stopping to look at it before entering) Britney used to have a Gulfstream IV. Now she's had to sell it and get a Gulfstream III because people like you chose to download her music for free. (Britney gives a heavy sigh and goes inside.) The Gulfstream III doesn't even have a remote control for its surround-sound DVD system. Still think downloading music for free is no big deal?

Kyle: We... didn't realize what we were doing, eh...

Detective: That is the folly of man. Now look in this window. (they are at another mansion, and they look inside a picture window) Here you see the loving family of Master P. (He's shown tossing a basketball to his wife while his kid tries to catch it) Next week is his son's birthday and, all he's ever wanted was an island in French Polynesia. (his mom lowers the ball and gives it to the boy, who smiles, picks it up and drops it. It rolls away and he goes after it)

Kyle: So, he's gonna get it, right?

Detective: I see an island without an owner. If things keep going the way they are, the child will not get his tropical paradise.

Stan: (apologetically) We're sorry! We'll, we'll never download music for free again!

Detective: (somberly, dramatically) Man must learn to think of these horrible outcomes before he acts selfishly or else... I fear... recording artists will be forever doomed to a life of only semi-luxury.

twhitehead

Here in SA, several ISP's send out warning letters (at no cost as far as I am aware) and threaten to cut off users. Considering that no verification of the validity of the claims is ever made, I think this is a highly questionable practice.

zamicro

Expert Member
I like the New-Zealand approach. This will ensure that notices are not sent out trivially.

CeeBee

Expert Member
Rob Davies should stop drinking at the office, or smoking that heavy stuff, or whatever it is that makes him go freaky and say the things he does... heard about him on the radio this morning as well about him saying what a wonderful continent of choice africa and south africa is to make investment. True child of ANC. This right on the back of mining issues of late where the workers demand unrealistic wages and effectively making the mines 'less than optimal' investment opportunities. And we all know... if government is gonna allow these miners to get 300% increase, every other lazy union member will want that too.
back on topic :) government ministers should think properly before coming up with all kinds of crap that would be negative for industry. Fight piracy if you will, but at least find a sustainable, do-able method

Last edited:

Chunkyfeather

Here in SA, several ISP's send out warning letters (at no cost as far as I am aware) and threaten to cut off users. Considering that no verification of the validity of the claims is ever made, I think this is a highly questionable practice.
Dont they just forward the warnings received, the ISP doesn't actually create a warning email and send it, they just forward the things on.

TJ99

Honorary Master
“The New Zealand experience indicates that the substantial if not astronomical figures provided with regard to the loss suffered by copyright holders do not appear to be such that copyright holders are prepared to pay for the implementation of a graduated response mechanism,” Cull argued.
Bravo! If the industry really is losing a million quintillion zillion dollars from each guy downloading a few episodes of Dexter, paying $25 to stop it would be the best investment in the history of mankind. Just more evidence that their ridiculous numbers are pulled out of their asses, but we already knew that.

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
Piracy is a symptom, not the problem. If copyright holders can provide a service similar to the simplicity and convenience of piracy, then piracy will disappear

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Are they also going to require SANRAL to police the highways to stop criminals from making use of the roads?
What about ESKOM? Are they going to force them to police criminals who use electricity to perpetrate crime?
And the Medical Aid companies? Many white collar criminals and tax dodgers also have medical aids. The medical aid companies should be made to cut them off!

You see where I am going with this.

foozball3000

Executive Member
Does Rob Davies own a digital media device, or doesn't he listen to music when on the move?

"Ye with no sin cast the first stone". Owning an ipod (or similar device) is illegal by definition, because you have to break the copyright law to use it. Hypocrite.

Hummercellc

Expert Member
I agree, the copyright holder should foot the bill of sending out notices and NOT the ISP or the ISP's Customers!!

Sodan

Expert Member
“The New Zealand experience indicates that the substantial if not astronomical figures provided with regard to the loss suffered by copyright holders do not appear to be such that copyright holders are prepared to pay for the implementation of a graduated response mechanism,” Cull argued.
Bravo! If the industry really is losing a million quintillion zillion dollars from each guy downloading a few episodes of Dexter, paying $25 to stop it would be the best investment in the history of mankind. Just more evidence that their ridiculous numbers are pulled out of their asses, but we already knew that.
+100!

(You beat me to it)

Daruk

Honorary Master
Love this...

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/dutch-anti-piracy-group-brein-caught-stealing-music-2011122/

The Dutch anti-piracy group BREIN is supposed to be all about helping artists protect their livelihoods. As it turns out, its board members are no better than the pirates they claim are ruining the entertainment industry.

Trouble started brewing way back in 2006 when Dutch performer Melchior Rietveldt was asked to score an anti-piracy video for BREIN. Rietveldt apparently accepted the gig with the understanding that the video was only to be shown at a local film festival.

You can understand his surprise, then, when Rietveldt discovered his music was being re-purposed. It was also put to use on numerous retail DVDs — he stumbled across it while watching one of the Harry Potter flicks, where it provided the backing track for an anti-piracy lead-in. According to some estimates, the song has found its way onto tens of millions of discs.

Rietveldt’s financial advisor has estimated that if he’d been properly compensated for the additional use, he’d have received around one million Euros. Outraged (and rightfully so), Rietveldt contacted the local group responsible for collecting music royalties. He never heard anything back — not until BREIN board member Jochem Gerrits phoned in a proposition.

The deal: Gerrits would help Rietveldt claw back what was owed to him in exchange for a 33% cut for Gerrits. If that seems shady, it’s because it is shady. In addition to sitting on BREIN’s board (he’s since resigned from the post), Gerrits runs a music label. If anyone in the industry is truly interested in helping protect an artist’s livelihood, it should be someone like Gerrits.

Instead, he saw an opportunity to make a quick buck off a musician in need of help. When Rietveldt’s advisor asked why Gerrits should make any money off the deal, he stated that his involvement only happens when an artist is in trouble, and without him the artist doesn’t receive any money. In other words, he thinks he deserves a cut.

So because Gerrit figured his cronies would listen to one of their own and throw some money at the problem, it was reasonable to skim more than €300,000.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
LOL - beat me to it as well. Agreed.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
[video=youtube;GZadCj8O1-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZadCj8O1-0[/video]

grok

Honorary Master
So by the same definition Zuma should be cut off from his bank account?

Hey minister .. take note that I'm pirating an extra movie tonite just for having to read suck a load of k@k!

eltherza

Expert Member
The numbers behind these are awesome to play with.

Simfy, R60 a month. At that rate, I get over 1 million songs. If I were to pay for this service for, lets say 50 years before I'm deaf or otherwise - that puts me at paying R36000.

Simfy will grow more songs, but lets make it a static 1million songs. Thats less than 4c per song. Clearly simfy is legal, making a profit AND the music producers are making money too... for 4c a song.

4c a song makes profits.

EDIT: simfy actually has 16 million songs...

Last edited:

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Are they also going to require SANRAL to police the highways to stop criminals from making use of the roads?
What about ESKOM? Are they going to force them to police criminals who use electricity to perpetrate crime?
And the Medical Aid companies? Many white collar criminals and tax dodgers also have medical aids. The medical aid companies should be made to cut them off!

You see where I am going with this.

1st world? :p