Cybercrimes and cybersecurity bill for South Africa

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
Jan - you should also perhaps link to the discussion paper

...along with the launch of the Cybersecurity Hub on 8 September this sees some progress at last

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Jan - you should also perhaps link to the discussion paper

Good ideal. Thanks, Dominic.

Is it just me or is Section 17 a little scary for folks who operate forums or who offer comments on their blogs?

17. (1) Any person who unlawfully and intentionally-

(a) makes available, broadcasts or distributes;
(b) causes to be made available, broadcast or distributed; or
(c) assists in making available, broadcasts or distributes,

through a computer network or an electronic communications network, to a specific person or the general public, a data message which advocates, promotes or incites hate, discrimination or violence against a person or a group of persons, is guilty of an offence.

(2) Any person who contravenes the provisions of subsection (1) is liable, on conviction to a fine or imprisonment not exceeding 2 years.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Is it just me or is Section 17 a little scary for folks who operate forums or who offer comments on their blogs?

It's scary because of how the ANC will interpret it and use it.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
It's scary because of how the ANC will interpret it and use it.

Exactly. IANAL, but whenever new legislation is proposed and wording open to interpretation such as "unlawful and intentional" is included, I worry about how judges will rule in the first few cases.

I also worry about how long it will take for case law to be established, because until the wording is interpreted it can have a chilling effect on local sites who can't afford the risk of being dragged to court by someone with deep pockets.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Every day this cANCer government makes me willingly want to lobotomise myself, and not the easy way under anaesthetic but the hard way by repeatedly bashing my head against a wall.

I think all those positive attitudinal ZAffers must have all been expats interviewed face to face in the countries they now call home, they were positive about not being in SA any more.

There is a simple solution to that, simply shift the blame onto the ISPs that own and operate the networks without which nothing would be "made available".

Milano

Honorary Master
Under the provisions of the bill, South Africa’s President may enter into agreements with foreign States to promote cyber security.

China and Russia

krusty_

Everyone is a service provider. Take a look at the highlighted sections in this image. If you send or receive email or even SMS, you're a service provider!

cybersecuritybill.jpg

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
Everyone is a service provider. Take a look at the highlighted sections in this image. If you send or receive email or even SMS, you're a service provider!

cybersecuritybill.jpg

will be addressing that definition aggressively - definition of service providers / ISPs is always a problem