Cybersmart does not support its own WiFi

ford67

I've had FTTH for years, wifi speeds of 350Mb ordinarily. This has deteriorated to (sometimes as low as)15Mb as new companies' equipment goes up nearby. Cybersmart Lightspeed, who provide the modem/ WiFi point, do not support anything not connected with a high-end LAN cable. At this day in age, WHO still uses LAN at home? My Samsung TV doesn't recognise the LAN, my laptop doesn't have a port, and my cellphone..., well, you get the point. But, Cybersmart DO have a contract with my building that says I cannot use any other fibre company. Their only suggestion (sic) is that I purchase equipment to connect my home to their system.
Does anyone know what support I need to seek to fix my WiFi speed? An IT guy? A smart technician, a 6yr old, a basic computer repair chap? Or blunder my through Google again?

netstrider

Expert Member
I've had FTTH for years, wifi speeds of 350Mb ordinarily. This has deteriorated to (sometimes as low as)15Mb as new companies' equipment goes up nearby. Cybersmart Lightspeed, who provide the modem/ WiFi point, do not support anything not connected with a high-end LAN cable. At this day in age, WHO still uses LAN at home? My Samsung TV doesn't recognise the LAN, my laptop doesn't have a port, and my cellphone..., well, you get the point. But, Cybersmart DO have a contract with my building that says I cannot use any other fibre company. Their only suggestion (sic) is that I purchase equipment to connect my home to their system.
Does anyone know what support I need to seek to fix my WiFi speed? An IT guy? A smart technician, a 6yr old, a basic computer repair chap? Or blunder my through Google again?
You could try different bands or a different router. Have you confirmed the speeds are only that slow over Wifi and not over LAN?

irBosOtter

Expert Member
An ISP provides you with an internet connection. What router, etc you connect to it is your business.
And what if ISP drops down a router and tells you you can't use anything else? One reason I will never go with cyber is due to the MK router you would need to use.

powermzii

Expert Member
Wifi is tricky at best and i can understand why they won't support it - because each home layout, build structure and electronic interference is different. Hell the interference differs based on time of day and which microwave has been turned on... i kid... but really.

Try different wifi channels - if you are on 5GHz then you have more channels to play with. Consider adding another access point / mesh system and connect it to the cybersmart router via LAN. With more wifi devices (cellphones, laptops, IoT) on the market the airwaves are very congested

VlakVark_ZA

No ISP can guarantee speeds via Wi-Fi as it operates on a shared spectrum with only 11 legal channels to use on 2.4Ghz. Just switch the channel or get a Unify access point to handle your Wi-Fi connection.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic

What brand/model is it? Usually the ones that they provide for "free" are junk.

If you have an android phone download wifi analyzer to scan the AP's in your area.

Sounds like you need to move over to 5gHz.

Anthro

Expert Member
I use their Lightspeed™ service at home
Been doing so for the past 4-5 years.
I replaced their branded junk quite quickly with a Mikrotik HAP Ac2
The config is a bit different to normal as you need VLAN capability on the WAN interface of whichever router you choose.
WiFi is Wayy better on this device - and it was bad on theirs because I am in a block of flats with everyones WiFi blasting.

BasBas

I would recommend trying out a decent access point and turning off the WIFI radio in your cybersmart router. I have 2 ubiquity unify Lites in my house and they work amazing.

BasBas

I would recommend trying out a decent access point and turning off the WIFI radio in your cybersmart router. I have 2 ubiquity unify Lites in my house and they work amazing.
Alternatively you could try out a wifi router from another manufacturer.
as @Anthro said the microtik is a good buy but if you have to do any special configuration on the router side it might be worth just wiring in a better access point and sticking with the junk router (without its wifi on).

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
LAN is always better so I run cable where I can.

Always check that its your WIFI and not the Fibre connection - you can only really prove this using a LAN cable.

If its the WIFI thats the issue (Most likely) then you should look at getting a WFI mesh system.
Its always cheaper and easier and most effective to just run cable to your devices, the less devices you have connecting the better it will be for the devices that have to connect (phones etc)