Cybersmart launches ‘fixed price’ ADSL offerings; Axxess R99 uncapped vouchers

Amos_Keeto

What happened to the Cybersmart who when the MWEB offering launched said "sure, go ahead, try them out, we'll keep your line going no problem. If you don't like MWEB, we'll welcome you back with open arms"?

I guess nobody bothered coming back.

Malasius

“There is no way a ‘returning user’ who has been with us, jumped ship and now wants to come back because he realizes uncapped is a figment of the imagination is ever going to get this product,” said Failkov.
hahaha

MickeyD

RIP
While I won't get into a debate about uncapped vs capped vs unshaped vs shaped and everything that goes around, I for one have to say I applaud Laurie and Cybersmart for their straight up honesty in what they have said here.

THere are way to many ISPs out there with hidden terms and conditions, loads of fine print, and unless you as a consumer are reading very very carefully you find you end up buying something you never bargained on.

These T&C's may be seen by some as a little onerous, but I have to ask, has anyone closely read their own T&C's in their ISP contracts, and are they any better? The difference is, these aren't couched in legalize that no one is meant to understand, or to even find for that matter. This is straight up honesty, and I for one believe that its about time the market had more of it!
Fully agree!

solo7

lol... fail... if you going to lock it down so much, rather don't offer uncapped....

copacetic

King of the Hippies
never, even with all the problems mweb has i seldom pull less than 350gb on my home account, this weekend alone i did more than 45gb....so unless these naysayers can provide a viable alternative they can stuff it.

I have 384 uncapped, it's been a nightmare the past month or so.

I envy people like yourself.

iCubed.Saajid

Wow Laurie, your arrogance and stupidity astounds me more and more each year. Your attitude of treating your customers like school kids still hasn't changed, even after all these years. Disgusting. I will definitely be warning all my clients about joining your pathetic excuse for an ISP.

You products are stupidly complex and highly irritating. Have you heard of the KISS principle? Oh and I won't forget to mention your pathetic, draconian Terms and Conditions, which are more childish than playground rules.

And the worst part of it is that you are too smug and arrogant to listen to your very own customers, as well as the largest community of broadband citizens in South Africa.

A complete, utter, disgraceful fail.

While I don't agree with WebAfrica's refusal to offer uncapped, I respect them for being open, honest, keeping it simple, and still bringing cheap bandwidth to the consumer, without treating us like school kids. You should take a leaf out of their book. But we all know that you won't. You are too smug and arrogant to hear anybody else's viewpoint, except when you realise that your business model is failing, and your customers are fleeing in droves.

Last edited:

ryu

Expert Member
wow!

"There is no way a ‘returning user’ who has been with us, jumped ship and now wants to come back because he realizes uncapped is a figment of the imagination is ever going to get this product,” said Failkov."

how on earth can someone make a statement like that to potential customers ?

so if you not happy with the "service" get lost and don't bother coming back cos we dont need you ?

IMHO this statement is a big FAIL !

Amos_Keeto

I didn't mind knowing that I was on a 6 month 30GB rolling average.
I didn't mind knowing that it wasn't really uncapped.

What I do mind, is seeing my service turn into a ginormous joke.
What I do mind, is being given the run around for two weeks, and essentially being lied to.
What I do mind, is not getting the service I've paid for.

Do not mistake arrogance for honesty.
What is happening here, is an ISP milking their customers and saying take it or leave it.

NomNom

Executive Member
Failkov said:
“There is no way a ‘returning user’ who has been with us, jumped ship and now wants to come back because he realizes uncapped is a figment of the imagination is ever going to get this product,” said Failkov.

This is the best part of the whole article, looks like Laurie has learned how the people on this forum operate.

Anyways it's astounding how easily people misread the article at hand and how quick they are to judge something they know nothing about. :) btw I easily do 40GB +- on the Night Rider Bundle so if you are paying R38 more what do you think that will get you. ;)

"3. fixed price contention same as capped services" that means it's pure unshapped/unthrottled/unbull****/unwhatever ..full download speed of your line...

and before you bash Cybersmart in your unique way, please first read the article and notice the following, Cybersmart are NOT offering uncapped. :rolleyes:

Amos_Keeto

I would love to see what the new fair use / rolling average policy looks like.

Does the 4Mb super duper magical option still have a 6 month 30GB policy?

Also, will they be charging more for lines that sync above 4Mbps?

inferno

Cybersmart have always been a rubbish ISP. His attitude to clients who jumped ship (due to dissatisfaction with their poor service and products) does not surprise me.

Shayd

Expert Member
Strange that there is no mention of the fact that Cybersmart is UNSHAPED... maybe Laurie was having a bad day as this seems like he is launching a product that he doesn't want people to use!

jetlee

I was a very happy Cybersmart customer for about 4 years, Me and 3 other family members had 3 gig lines (Line and Usage) and we merrily plodded along month to month for about 2 years (I even used to recommend them to other friends ).. then I decided to maximise my value, and paid the extra for grow for life and night rider .. which worked pretty well .. then about a year later, they launched weekender, and thats where it all fell apart .. Other ISP's had launched sort of uncapped (digichilli, screamer) and Afrihost was well into there R29 per gig frenzy. I happily signed up for weekender, and plodded along nicely using night rider, and weekender for about 6 months .. then one day I got disconnected. I called them to find out what was up, and they told me I was an abuser for using my weekender package to download the theorectial maximum that could be downloaded in a weekend (about 4/5 gigs if i remember correctly) for a few weekends .. Apparently they were unhappy that I wasnt downloading during office hours so that I would use up my cap and then be blocked from the network .. apparently using the package (that I paid an extra 99 rand for every month) just wasnt on ...

To cut a very long story short, my 3 other family accounts and I have since migrated, I am on Wazzup uncapped (R305 pm incl line - and to be honest .. couldnt be happier) and my family have migrated to alternate mom and pop internet ISP's, after I told them Cybersmart was full of #$%t .. anyway .. Cybersmart .. you can say what you want about "returning" customers .. cause even if the world fell apart and you were the last ISP in South Africa .. Id rather swallow razorblades than come back to you ..

In short .. use them at your peril, you may find you dont quite get what you expect.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Where does Laurie state that he is offering UNCAPPED?

The only thing I see is that they are offering something more expensive and telling us upfront that it's going to be worse. o.0 Doesn't matter what they call it.
Wonder who's going to sign up with them :)

Avenue

Expert Member
then about a year later, they launched weekender, and thats where it all fell apart ..

same experience here bro... I was also one of the weekender shunned lol

as for the axxess offering, it seems like the prepaid "uncapped" is only for browsing and emails- you can purchase 5 gigs for the same price and its highly unlikely that you can use even that much bandwidth just browsing.

Endymion

Whats the best alrternative?

I've been one of Cybersmart's beta testers, having a 384k "Unshaped / Uncapped" line (Yes I still have the email that were supposed to confirm this from the MD himself.) for almost a year already.

All I can say about it - if that is a "service" don't bother providing it anymore... I can post speed tests and calls logged to the "unhelpful help desk"... Every time I complain about getting an average local transfer speed of say 3.4kbps and even slower international downloads (yes a 56k dial-up is faster) I get a response that there is no reason that I should get such slow speeds and that a Telkom fault has been reported. After a few days - Telkom apparently came back and said there was no fault with the line.

I did however at some obscure/irregular times at night get my full line capacity for very short peroids of time. Maybe it was a glitch in the system, doubt I ever should've gotten full speed judging from the speeds I get during "normal" times that an internet user would "surf the net" or in Cybersmart's case - "stumble through a swamp".

I have postponed going to another ISP only because it is such a shlep switching over and coordinating new accounts, but the time has come I fear.

The big question I need an answer to is this: "Which ISP is currently the best/most stable and which offers an uncapped service for under R1k including Telkom line rental?"

Recommendations will be greatly appreciated.