Cybersmart launches ‘fixed price’ ADSL offerings; Axxess R99 uncapped vouchers

froot

Honorary Master
I worry about their usage stats. I was on 384 uncapped. got kicked off for abuse. Moved my line to WebAfrica 4Mbps 50GB Titan. Average usage now without changing anything is sub 20GB. Cybersmart stats said I used in excess of 40GB every month on 384.

I have a few other accounts at Cybersmart for various places.. arrogance of the company is starting to irritate me. No need to be arrogant toward (ex) customers. As in my case, I'm both an ex, and current customer!

Seriously? Lol, I've pulled up to 95GB on OW Gold a few times. I'm down to <50GB a month now, but have never had issues with anyone complaining.

Hogrod

Expert Member
Does anyone know if the performance of these new packages are better than the current ones?

E.g I'm on 512 Night Rider Bundle , and looking to move to fixed price very contended: R584 including line rental.

Is there any difference at all between the two?

Grimlock

If you are on there current nightrider/standard/etc, then the "highly contented" packages are gonna be slower than what you have now. Mailed Laurie and that was his reply.

MickeyD

RIP
If you are on there current nightrider/standard/etc, then the "highly contented" packages are gonna be slower than what you have now. Mailed Laurie and that was his reply.
i.e. you get what you pay for!

Cosmic_Nomad

"" Fialkov explains that Cybersmart now has a "fixed price" product where no cap is set for the user. This product is however not available to everyone.""

Why bother if its not available to every one then...

/me jumps for joy as he is on his last month with the "Gestapo"

“There is no way a ‘returning user’ who has been with us, jumped ship and now wants to come back because he realizes uncapped is a figment of the imagination is ever going to get this product,” said Failkov.

Kiss it !

Last edited:

Grimlock

OK, what is a good alternative to cybersmart? I play WoW and get between 250ms and 400ms latency with cybersmart atm. I also download on average between 30GB-40GB worth of data a month. Anyone know of an ISP that offers packages like these, but with adsl circuit rental included for around R350 p/m?

grok

Honorary Master
“There is no way a ‘returning user’ who has been with us, jumped ship and now wants to come back because he realizes uncapped is a figment of the imagination is ever going to get this product,” said Failkov.

I've never been a Cybersmart customer, and the above statement ensures that I'll never be one. I prefer to only contract with companies that knows I am the paying customer and they're largely there because of consumers like me, not the other way around.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
This does not change the fact that my internet budget is R500 access cost included. And they have only one offering below that just like basically everybody else. its not because I can't afford better. It's because I don't think internet should cost more than that. Sure I can save like R50 or so depending on who I use in the 384 shaped-contended arena, but as long as it costs less than R500 I don't really care much. 384 is a **** service no matter how you look at it. I'm not going to mince specs and try to squeeze the last drop of value out. I just want internet access for less than R500. And face it 512 is just god awful value. And you will not really see a difference in performance. I'm not paying almost double to get a measly extra 5-10 kilobyte download speed. Who the hell cares about 5-10 kb more or less a second?

The moment somebody comes in with a 1MB uncapped offering with fair use and shaping comparable to mwebs basic uncapped accounts for under R500 then they will see my money. All these other stupid little launch stories are just wasting my time.

And stop talking capped vs uncapped crap. I'm a user. I have the money the SPs want. I want to use the internet and I don't want to worry about the possibility of a cap unless I start downloading several 100GBs worth of data a month.

Just frigging get real please. Pop the flipping red pill. Take a reality check. Wake up and smell the roses.

The bottom line is... My money talks and since I am content with my internet situation at the moment my money is staying where it is. I see what is happening. Competition is here. It wont be long until I can get my ADSL access and 384 uncapped accountl for under R200 unshaped. I'm a patient oke. And once that is there I'll take it and then just wait for the unshaped uncapped access to become cheaper and cheaper and faster and faster. But I will only go for something if it is a significant improvement. The rest is just maneuvering.

SlightlyPeeved

Hmm, surprised. I am on the 384 Nightrider account, for R299 (including line rental), and although 384 is god-awful, I do manage to get 46-47KB consistently. Higher speed will not affect my Latency (30-80ms in SA, sub 200 internationally) so all things considered, I am happy. I download about 30g/month (15 at night, and 15 during the day), so I think it is pretty good value for money.

Amos_Keeto

Yeah, I'm gonna rant some more....(what's the internet for if I can't rage every once in a while).

I think it is pretty "convenient" timing of Mr. Honesty and his fair use police over there to only release this statement after the 2010 poll results are in. Heaven forbid Cybersmart reputation gets tarnished before people get to click little radio buttons.

I abided by the fair use policy laid down by Cybersmart. I stayed under my "virtual" cap, because I didn't want my service degraded or get disconnected. So how has that helped me? Well, I have had speed issues anyway. I have had crap support anyway. For the last couple of weeks, I have been shafted so bad it's not even funny. Hands up everybody out there whose upload speed is regularly faster than their download speed?

In the end, Cybersmart has decided that regardless of the fact that I behaved, they will bend me over and screw me for every last cent I have.

On top of that, I will never ever again be able to log a complaint about poor line speed, cause you know what, I'm just going to be told to buck up and opt for the more expensive service. And so will every user who decides to stick it out with them. And no, I'm not talking getting 3.5Mb int on a 4Mb line... I'm talking getting 15KB/s int downloads on a 7Mb line.

Cybersmart has screwed me over, and I will be leaving, regardless of whether I have to pay more for a comparable service, I've had enough.

F

Fudzy

I jumped ship when Mweb came out with it's 4mbps offering and I haven't looked back. Sad that Laurie is burning bridges though, I wonder what will happen to that Cybersmart subsidiary that who.is.michael was punting?

Endymion

For the last couple of weeks, I have been shafted so bad it's not even funny. Hands up everybody out there whose upload speed is regularly faster than their download speed?

In the end, Cybersmart has decided that regardless of the fact that I behaved, they will bend me over and screw me for every last cent I have.

On top of that, I will never ever again be able to log a complaint about poor line speed, cause you know what, I'm just going to be told to buck up and opt for the more expensive service. And so will every user who decides to stick it out with them. And no, I'm not talking getting 3.5Mb int on a 4Mb line... I'm talking getting 15KB/s int downloads on a 7Mb line.

Cybersmart has screwed me over, and I will be leaving, regardless of whether I have to pay more for a comparable service, I've had enough.

I share your pain and frustration... I also decided it's time to move, even if I also have to pay more for decent service...

auriga1000

Expert Member
telkom today announced the release of their much-awaited uncapped ADSL offerings.

Full details are still to be revealed, but the company did provide us with the main features and benefits of the service.

The DoUncapped packages will be available in 3 speeds, 384Kbps, 512Kbps and 4Mbps, while each package provides shaped bandwidth.

The 384Kbps package will be totally uncapped until the 3GB limit is reached, after which you have to purchase another uncapped account. The 512Kbps package is uncapped to 5GB and the 4Mbps package is uncapped to a "massive" 10GB.

Once you reach the uncapped usage limit, Telkom allows you to topup your uncapped account with another uncapped account at R395 for 384Kbps, R595 for 512Kbps and R1495 for 4Mbps which is, according to the company, market-related and extremely competitive.

Says a company spokesperson, "The advantage of the DoUncapped product is that you can download and upload as much as your connection is capable of before you reach the account limit. We have researched the market and have noticed that an uncapped product is an absolute necessity in the modern economy."

Telkom has also said the product is perfectly suited for light email checking, Googling once a day or so, telnet sessions and anything requiring less bandwidth than the entire Mongolia did in 1977.

Telkom's DoUncapped will only be available today, April 1.

like the april fools joke above.

Paul_S

Expert Member
I used to be a Cybersmart customer and now I'm with MWeb (384K uncapped).
There is no ways I'll touch Cybersmart's offerings with their overly complicated and obfuscated T&C's.

Cybersmart MD Laurie Fialkov explains that he does not want to call it uncapped as there “is no such thing as an uncapped service”.

Well I'm sorry to point this out to you Mr Fialkov, but MWeb's uncapped seems to be doing pretty well and I'd regard it as being "uncapped".
Aside from the recent network upgrade issues I get full line speed whether I download 500MB or 50GB.

Mr Fialkov, it's time you go out of business because it's ISPs with your attitude that are holding the rest of South Africa back. Please go join the pity party with Mr Tim Walter from Nashua Mobile (http://mybroadband.co.za/news/insight/15726-Uncapped-ADSL-and-Broadband-myths.html).

Endymion

I used to be a Cybersmart customer and now I'm with MWeb (384K uncapped).
There is no ways I'll touch Cybersmart's offerings with their overly complicated and obfuscated T&C's.

Well I'm sorry to point this out to you Mr Fialkov, but MWeb's uncapped seems to be doing pretty well and I'd regard it as being "uncapped".
Aside from the recent network upgrade issues I get full line speed whether I download 500MB or 50GB.

Mr Fialkov, it's time you go out of business because it's ISPs with your attitude that are holding the rest of South Africa back. Please go join the pity party with Mr Tim Walter from Nashua Mobile (http://mybroadband.co.za/news/insight/15726-Uncapped-ADSL-and-Broadband-myths.html).

+1!