D-Link DIR-825 - LAN Port Limited to 100Mbps

StickyMapleZA

Hi everyone, I have a D-Link DIR-825 router that I received from Afrihost when I signed up for a 1Gbps fibre line. I'm having some issues with the LAN speed.

When I connect my laptop directly to the OTN, I get close to 800Mbps. However, when I connect my laptop via LAN to the router, speed is limited to 100Mbps. The router has 4 1000Mbps ports but I cannot get anything higher than 100Mbps. I've already tried adjusting the port's autonegotiation to 1000Mbps, still no success.

Has anyone run into the same issue?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi,

Which network cables are you using? Also make sure they are plugged in properly.

The D-Link 825 is definitely capable of 1Gbps. If you force it to 1Gbps in the router settings and it disconnects it means there is a cable issue.

You can also try updating to the latest firmware version.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
It's likely the LAN cable. Take a photo of both ends showing how it is crimped and check that it's a CAT 5e or CAT 6 cable at least (should be printed on the cable outer)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I had the same issue with one of my connections to the D-Link DIR-825 I received from Afrihost. As above, was a cable issue. I threw the suspect one away and crimped a new cable. No more issues.

Wickedone

I don't want to hijack the topic here but I have a question regarding wi-fi speed. I also have the same router that I received from Afrihost when I signed up for a 1Gbps fibre line. My problem is the wifi speed which goes up to 110M max (tried it both my laptop and Galaxy S10+). Please advise how to increase the wifi speed?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I don't want to hijack the topic here but I have a question regarding wi-fi speed. I also have the same router that I received from Afrihost when I signed up for a 1Gbps fibre line. My problem is the wifi speed which goes up to 110M max (tried it both my laptop and Galaxy S10+). Please advise how to increase the wifi speed?

You can increase the transmit power to 300% to see if that help but wifi channels are your best bet.

I have a S10 and a D-Link 825 R1 version and it works well. 5GHz wifi gives the best speeds. Channel 36

Wickedone

You can increase the transmit power to 300% to see if that help but wifi channels are your best bet.

I have a S10 and a D-Link 825 R1 version and it works well. 5GHz wifi gives the best speeds. Channel 36
Thanks for that. Would you direct me to some documentation showing how its done please?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks for that. Would you direct me to some documentation showing how its done please?

You can login to the router on

Once logged click on Wi-Fi on the left and then click on Additional.

TX Power (in percent) is the option your are looking for. By default it's on 100% but you can increase that. You can change wifi channels under the Basic Settings option on the left. By default it's on Auto.

Wickedone

You can login to the router on

Once logged click on Wi-Fi on the left and then click on Additional.

TX Power (in percent) is the option your are looking for. By default it's on 100% but you can increase that. You can change wifi channels under the Basic Settings option on the left. By default it's on Auto.
Great, thanks you. I will try this.

deweyzeph

Executive Member

Get a better router and a separate dedicated business-grade WIFI access point. No offence meant to Afrihost, but the DIR-825 is a piece of crap. If you want to do justice to a 1Gbps connection you really need to invest in good quality network equipment.

Wickedone

Get a better router and a separate dedicated business-grade WIFI access point. No offence meant to Afrihost, but the DIR-825 is a piece of crap. If you want to do justice to a 1Gbps connection you really need to invest in good quality network equipment.
Noted with thanks.
It was not an issue until very recently as I was getting 1G speed from the LAN ports. However, it is now time to extend Wi-Fi network and dir-825 fails to deliver. I was prepared to get a few APs, do I need to replace the 825 as well?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Noted with thanks.
It was not an issue until very recently as I was getting 1G speed from the LAN ports. However, it is now time to extend Wi-Fi network and dir-825 fails to deliver. I was prepared to get a few APs, do I need to replace the 825 as well?

I would replace everything. The DIR-825 is fine for a 10 or 20Mbps line with a handful of WIFI clients, but with a 1Gbps line you want a router with a good CPU and lots of RAM. The DIR-825 just doesn't have the horsepower to process packets at those kind of speeds.

For the router I would recommend a Mikrotik RB750Gr3, and then for access points I would recommend some TP-Link EAP245 access points. A lot of people recommend Ubiquiti access points, and they're good, but with Ubiquiti you kind of have to tie into the whole Ubiquiti ecosystem if you want to get the full benefit. A Mikrotik router with a few business-grade AP's like the TP-Link EAP245 is going to give you a solid network worthy of a 1Gbps line. Needless to say, the APs should all be connected via ethernet cable back to the Mikrotik router.

Wickedone

I would replace everything. The DIR-825 is fine for a 10 or 20Mbps line with a handful of WIFI clients, but with a 1Gbps line you want a router with a good CPU and lots of RAM. The DIR-825 just doesn't have the horsepower to process packets at those kind of speeds.

For the router I would recommend a Mikrotik RB750Gr3, and then for access points I would recommend some TP-Link EAP245 access points. A lot of people recommend Ubiquiti access points, and they're good, but with Ubiquiti you kind of have to tie into the whole Ubiquiti ecosystem if you want to get the full benefit. A Mikrotik router with a few business-grade AP's like the TP-Link EAP245 is going to give you a solid network worthy of a 1Gbps line. Needless to say, the APs should all be connected via ethernet cable back to the Mikrotik router.
Thanks again.
I was planning to invest into something like TP-Link Deco M9 Plus AC2200 3-Pack Mesh Wi-Fi System. Would that benefit me better?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Thanks again.
I was planning to invest into something like TP-Link Deco M9 Plus AC2200 3-Pack Mesh Wi-Fi System. Would that benefit me better?

The Deco range, especially the M9 series is actually pretty good and it's a hell of a lot easier to setup than a Mikrotik if you don't have much network experience. I would definitely use ethernet cable though to link them up if possible instead of the wireless backhaul. You might want to get a gigabit switch of some kind though because each unit only has 2 gigabit ports so if you want to hardwire any devices you're going to need some extra ports.

Wickedone

The Deco range, especially the M9 series is actually pretty good and it's a hell of a lot easier to setup than a Mikrotik if you don't have much network experience. I would definitely use ethernet cable though to link them up if possible instead of the wireless backhaul. You might want to get a gigabit switch of some kind though because each unit only has 2 gigabit ports so if you want to hardwire any devices you're going to need some extra ports.
Very limited network experience here, hence trying to find a easy way out.

Once again, thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Very limited network experience here, hence trying to find a easy way out.

Once again, thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

No worries. If you have kids the Deco also has probably some of the easiest to use parental controls I've seen on any router. Lots of options to limit the hours that kids use the internet, how many hours they can spend, etc.