• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

D-Link DSL-G225 DHCP Relay settings greyed?

ponder

Honorary Master
I don't even know what this means.

What 2 routers do you have? And how are they connected?
He has a d-link router, the dhcp relay option is greyed out with dhcp on or off. He contacted d-link tech support which has their own d-link router and their router exhibits the same behaviour and at this stage they don't no why.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Please don't trouble yourself. I think you are missing the point.
So this is what I did. I inspected the code on that page. It has stringent conditions on what needs to be enabled for this to be enabled...which I couldn't meet because there was 1 function commented out, and another one that was referenced was missing

I decided to ignore that and managed to change it so that the radio button is enabled, as well as the text box , and I was able to insert an IP address into DHCP relay server

I then applied the setting and rebooted the router.

Using the backup tool, I saved the config file, and noticed that it inserted the following entry into the config file (created when you backup the router) after the <DHCPServerEnable>TRUE/FALSE</DHCPServerEnable> tag

<X_BROADCOM_COM_DhcpRelayServer>192.168.13.10</X_BROADCOM_COM_DhcpRelayServer>

192.168.13.10 being the relay IP I had inserted.

However, when i reloaded the page although it showed the dhcp relay as selected, and DHCP server on/off deselected, the text box of the IP of the relay was greyed out as well as DHCP relay. Basically, although the settings were enabled on the router, it didn't gel well with the scripting of the page.

So again I delved into the coding of the page, and I finally figured it out :

If nat is enabled on the router, on your interface it doesn't give you the relay option. If it's disabled, then you have the enable, disable and relay options all selectable like this:

Being the thorough bitch that I am, I went back to the config file to check if any of the details had changed, and it was basically:

<DHCPServerEnable>TRUE</DHCPServerEnable>
<X_BROADCOM_COM_DhcpRelayServer>192.168.13.10</X_BROADCOM_COM_DhcpRelayServer>

Conclusion and solution:

1. Disabling NAT gives you the option for DHCP relay server
2. You can manually insert the above tags into the router config without disabling NAT, but you won't be able to:

a) change these particular settings using the web interface , you would have to go back to config file
b) know what effect it will have on the other operations of the router.

PM me if you need some help. Always backup a working config of your router before changing anything

bekdik

Honorary Master
@Hamish

Thanks for not giving up, much appreciated and well done!

Now if only I could find the NAT settings to which you refer.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
On the page with your DSL PPOE settings , right at the bottom near the save button , there are a series of check boxes. One of them should be NAT.

Don't do it though.

NAT is essential for your internet to work at the moment. You will probably have to rethink the way you've structured your network before proceeding.

Where is your SBS connected to?

bekdik

Honorary Master
On the page with your DSL PPOE settings , right at the bottom near the save button , there are a series of check boxes. One of them should be NAT.

Don't do it though.

NAT is essential for your internet to work at the moment. You will probably have to rethink the way you've structured your network before proceeding.

Where is your SBS connected to?
SBS is connected to the router via a 1GB switch.

While I know that it is frowned on, I have set up the 2 DHCPS (Server & D-Link) with different scopes but with he same DNS & Gateway, so that they do not conflict. I haven't encountered an problems with this and cannot see where the problem might arise.

BTW the D-Link techie suggested deleting all 3 entries in Layer 2 & WAN Interface. This didn't work and when the latter were deleted so was my Internet connection ...

Last edited:

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
SBS is connected to the router via a 1GB switch.

While I know that it is frowned on, I have set up the 2 DHCPS (Server & D-Link) with different scopes but with he same DNS & Gateway, so that they do not conflict. I haven't encountered an problems with this and cannot see where the problem might arise.

BTW the D-Link techie suggested deleting all 3 entries in Layer 2 & WAN Interface. This didn't work and when the latter were deleted so was my Internet connection ...
Save the config to a backup file , then parse through it using a text/xml editor. Will give you an idea of what's being set in the background.

Also try and telnet to the D-link . And type in help or ? . Will give you an idea of what commands you can run

bekdik

Honorary Master
Save the config to a backup file , then parse through it using a text/xml editor. Will give you an idea of what's being set in the background.

Also try and telnet to the D-link . And type in help or ? . Will give you an idea of what commands you can run
Thanks, when I have a moment I'll take a look, meantime I'll stick with dual DHCP.

Thanks for all the help.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So back to this topic since I've gotten a free one of these from Telkom.

I'm using this D-LINK as my main Router because of the VDSL functionality built-in.

However it's pretty **** and I also want to add a Guest OpenVPN SSID on my network for the occasional region dodge with an DD-WRT Router I have laying around.

Reason I can't do this on the DD-WRT right now is that it needs to make use of it's WAN port and the related NAT functions for the policy routing to work...but I of course don't use the WAN function and only have it switched to the main network.

So you say why not use the PPPoE Bridge/Passthrough and just setup the DD-WRT as a secondary Router? Well because then I segregate my LAN into two networks that can't easily talk to each other and I lose the functionality of the wireless bits on the D-Link which is sitting in the bedroom and running another cable there for another wireless access point is just painful.

Then I had another thought...

What would stop me from using this DHCP Relay function and retaining the modem parts of the D-Link but basically point itself to the DD-WRT it's connected to on the switch which is making the PPPoE connection back to itself.

Somehow I don't see this as possible without a second network cable at the very least as it probably doesn't do a Virtual PPPoE connection on top of an existing LAN connection, but thinking about it on paper it doesn't seem too impossible.

It's probably too braindead/limited in configuration options to make it work.