DA City stalls on ‘Khayelitsha by sea’ racism

Excalibur

Expert Member
Ward councillor Joy McCarthy has landed in hot water over her alleged racist comments made when objecting to the inclusion of social housing in the Table View area, describing the process akin to “turning your neighbourhood into Khayelitsha by the sea”. Former City employee Mark Rountree lodged a complaint with City Speaker Dirk Smit last year following a telephonic discussion with McCarthy where she allegedly made the comments.

Rountree, an executive support officer within the Transport and Urban Development Authority at the time, had responded to an email McCarthy sent to mayor Dan Plato and called to clarify her concerns. He said their discussion in November last year was to explain in detail the planning decisions for the Table View area. “The councillor had raised her concerns regarding her neighbourhood being unreasonably targeted for densification and making several allegations surrounding inclusive housing in the area.

“I believed the request to stop housing projects because they supposedly make (formerly white) neighbourhoods ‘look like Khayelitsha by the sea’ was bigoted, racist and contravened the Councillors Code of Conduct.”Now a Good party member, Rountree said he has not had any feedback from the City regarding his complaint since January. “I was informed that the matter was still under investigation.” Rountree said McCarthy was “infamous” for her views and he believed she should be held accountable.
Link.

Jabulani22

Maybe if we went just on facts and compared land prices ? surely the price of a stand can convey some sort of indicator of how much value people place on the land in the two different areas.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
yet another case of the accusers being the racists, which party in this case assumes 'khayelitsha' is synonymous with blacks only? McCarthy's only mistake is implying Khayelitsha by the sea doesn't already exist, Khayelitsha actually stretches all the way to the coast already fyi

anyone know exactly where this social housing was potentially planned in the Table View area though?

EADC

Expert Member
Only if you are hellbent on “finding” it racist
It depends you have the racism deniers where nothing is racist and then you have the everything is racist crowd just depends who makes the most noise.

I will make up my own mind.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
I'd like to know if Rountree is from the ANC, as many things before the elections are just politicking.

nightjar

Expert Member
Probably not but tact is a thin line between racist and a classist
"Tact", these days, is simply a dishonest description of reality masked as political correctness by by Marxists liberals.

IT_Steven

“I believed the request to stop housing projects because they supposedly make (formerly white) neighbourhoods ‘look like Khayelitsha by the sea’ was bigoted, racist and contravened the Councillors Code of Conduct.”

Why did the journalist need to include this...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
“I believed the request to stop housing projects because they supposedly make (formerly white) neighbourhoods ‘look like Khayelitsha by the sea’ was bigoted, racist and contravened the Councillors Code of Conduct.”

Why did the journalist need to include this...
Because without it it's not quite so inflammatory now is it.

Nick333

Honorary Master
It depends you have the racism deniers where nothing is racist and then you have the everything is racist crowd just depends who makes the most noise.

I will make up my own mind.
I've noticed you never actually do make up your mind. That fence must be doing uncomfortable things to your ass.

Nick333

Honorary Master
It's actually impossible to have a grown up conversation in this country.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Ironicallym Khayalitsha is in fact next to the sea. That makes the comment by Joy McCarthy even more confusing.