DA Councillor Renaldo Gouws embroiled in social media row

EADC

Executive Member
Of course we know how they operate:

They are so evil and racist that they went against the national government's edicts and continued operate the school feeding schemes for poor children, whilst the morally pure ANC, EFF and COSATU wanted those programs to be halted.
Why do you think they are evil and racist? that's certainly not true, jeez for someone who says they hate the ANC you certainly fall for their propaganda.

Flanders

Honorary Master
He deleted them but if you look deeply, you might be able to find some snippets online here and there from third party sources.

In 2010, Deborah Patta did a Third Degree episode on race and presented him as a white radical. There is some footage from his older stuff around 1:10 into the video.

Deborah Patta? Now there's a specimen I don't miss one bit.

She presented him as a white radical? Ramashockface

newjourno

Expert Member
She presented him as a white radical? R
It is certainly possible that he may have been radical in the past and became more moderate over-time. That does happen as a lot of people undergo a change in their political leanings over-time.

His views certainly did change as he performed a U-Turn on BEE twice.

He explicitly states in the video from 2010 that he does not support it, claimed to support it during Maimane's term as DA leader and now does not support it again.

Last edited:

Flanders

Honorary Master
It is certainly possible that he may have been radical in the past and became more moderate over-time. That does happen as a lot of people undergo a change in their political leanings over-time.

I watched some of his videos back in the day. I wouldn't call him radical. He just used youtube as a means to vent his frustration at our useless government. It was actually quite hilarious watching him fly off the handle, partly for entertainment reasons and partly because I could relate.

Whatever people may think of him, he has definitely reeled it in considerably since and at least attempts to have two-way discussions on all things SA related by giving his guests a chance to have their say.

newjourno

Expert Member
Isn't arguing on social media this guy's normal day job anyway?
He's a DA Ward Councillor in NMB and used to be a PR Councillor if I remember correctly.

He does the YouTube thing as a side-project, I think its more of a hobby and to build his political career as it's very hard to make a lot of money from it if you operate from South Africa.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
He's a DA Ward Councillor in NMB and used to be a PR Councillor if I remember correctly.

He does the YouTube thing as a side-project, I think its more of a hobby and to build his political career as its very hard to make a lot of money from it if you operate from South Africa.
What I mean is, the only time you hear his name, it's in the context of some or the other argument with a pigeon.

newjourno

Expert Member
What I mean is, the only time you hear his name, it's in the context of some or the other argument with a pigeon.
Yes, he certainly seems to love and thrive on drama. I could understand if he got into one or two spats but he literally is involved in drama and heated arguments on almost a daily basis.

ForceFate

Honorary Master

He explicitly states in the video from 2010 that he does not support it, claimed to support it during Maimane's term as DA leader and now does not support it again.
That's serious flip-flopping.

newjourno

Expert Member
Where I actually backed Renaldo though was in his spat with Loving Life. The whole thing was hilarious AF though. One of the hilarious things was that either Loving Life's fanatics were on Renaldo's case or some of his own fans turned against him there.

newjourno

Expert Member
Hey, these things are important. He is fluent in afrikaans and english also.
Ndlozi is also fluent in Zulu and English (potentially other languages as well), not that that adds credibility to many of his weak arguments.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Yes, he certainly seems to love and thrive on drama. I could understand if he got into one or two spats but he literally is involved in drama and heated arguments on almost a daily basis.
So at least 5 this week then?

Please post links etc.

surface

Executive Member
Ndlozi is also fluent in Zulu and English (potentially other languages as well), not that that adds credibility to many of his weak arguments.
We don't really care about Nkandla academy experts here - do you realize gouws also has inherited nordic genes? Look at how Norway economy is doing and then you will realize seeds of success in people like gouws.

Last edited:

newjourno

Expert Member
"He said he was proud of his work in taking down online racists and put Gouws in that category. He said Gouws would not take him to court because Gouws “feared what I know”.

This is going to be interesting.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I watch many people on Twitter, by doing this I can establish certain market predictions. I only tend to ignore the conspiracy theorists.

Renaldo is a special case. I don't know how he applies his politics as a ward councillor, but he does splash his social media with politics to generate 'clicks'. I do pick up that he values his views more so than his viewers and his associated brand politics.

I don't like social media. I only use it to determine market trends and interests. All that these people are doing is cancelling and or blocking each other. It is sad to witness, they are all hypocrites in this regard really, some even championing double-standards.

To be honest, social media enables reach, but the DA and company aren't good at social engagement. I honestly believe that they lack social intelligence. They don't learn and is stuck in a bubble. The DA isn't the only political party which steps into this trap, but they should know by now how they are perceived by the public interest. The ANC and EFF may be vocal online, but people don't care enough to nitpick on them unless it is all open to scrutiny.

**** me, the many times they want to engage with bot and alt accounts amazes me. You cannot win an anonymous account in a debate.

The DA should realign their social engagement accordingly and do what they do best, excel at service delivery. Online they hang by a thread.