DA Councillor Renaldo Gouws embroiled in social media row

konfab

Honorary Master
**** me, the many times they want to engage with bot and alt accounts amazes me. You cannot win an anonymous account in a debate.
And yet here you are... :p

The DA's problem is they play the game in other people's courts. They catch onto and respond to the discussions set out by the ANC and EFF. If you want to win at social media(and in most social events), you have to play the game in your own court. Zille was one of the few who did this extremely well by actually defining the topic of discussion. The DA's problem is that they would rather try and appease people who will never vote for them than their constituency. This was why when Zille was running the show, the DA actually grew despite the kvetching of the ANC bootlickers in the media.

Notice what the EFF does. They set out a topic of discussion, then tell everyone who doesn't agree with them to f-off. The latest video with Malema engaging a bunch of journalists shows this to a point:

Last edited:

newjourno

Expert Member
This was why when Zille was running the show, the DA actually grew despite the kvetching of the ANC bootlickers in the media.
The Zille which ran the DA previously is different from the Zille of today. That Zille you speak of was favourable to identity politics and racial targets within the party.

There is an argument that she destroyed the party (by spearheading MM's rise when he lacked experience following her spat with Mazibuko) and is continuing to destroy it today.

We can't really gauge whether or not that Zille would have been a force for good now as its a different era and period. Mandela's politics was popular in the early 90s but is not today.

newjourno

Expert Member
I watch many people on Twitter, by doing this I can establish certain market predictions. I only tend to ignore the conspiracy theorists.

Renaldo is a special case. I don't know how he applies his politics as a ward councillor, but he does splash his social media with politics to generate 'clicks'. I do pick up that he values his views more so than his viewers and his associated brand politics.

I don't like social media. I only use it to determine market trends and interests. All that these people are doing is cancelling and or blocking each other. It is sad to witness, they are all hypocrites in this regard really, some even championing double-standards.

To be honest, social media enables reach, but the DA and company aren't good at social engagement. I honestly believe that they lack social intelligence. They don't learn and is stuck in a bubble. The DA isn't the only political party which steps into this trap, but they should know by now how they are perceived by the public interest. The ANC and EFF may be vocal online, but people don't care enough to nitpick on them unless it is all open to scrutiny.

**** me, the many times they want to engage with bot and alt accounts amazes me. You cannot win an anonymous account in a debate.

The DA should realign their social engagement accordingly and do what they do best, excel at service delivery. Online they hang by a thread.
Another thing is that whilst Twitter is rife with trolls both JS and Van Damme have blocked people who offered perfectly valid critiques of themselves or the party.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Another thing is that whilst Twitter is rife with trolls both JS and Van Damme have blocked people who offered perfectly valid critiques of themselves or the party.
Many people take offence to constructive criticism, they deem it as a personal attack.

newjourno

Expert Member
Many people take offence to constructive criticism, they deem it as a personal attack.
That is another thing which is hampering the DA. Too many of its members and leaders throw tantrums when the party is in the wrong or critiqued (Renaldo is often made fun of for this) and deflect saying that they are not the ANC.

Gwenn Ngwenya and Cameron MacKenzie are among the few that does not and whilst I often disagree with them, I have to say that the party would benefit if more of its electorate and members conducted themselves like those two.

I'm not really sure what Renaldo was trying to achieve here. This won't help him to grow the DA, it proves that he is ignorant of the complexities and on the ground issues in South Africa. The DA has a reputation of being ignorant on those exact issues and he is only harming them.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
He is from Nelson Mandela Bay. Wow has the criminal scum ANC fukked up that place since they took it back. The whole province is in utter ruin. People are dying because the medical facilities have fallen apart. The comrades though, they are living the high life.

newjourno

Expert Member
He is from Nelson Mandela Bay. Wow has the criminal scum ANC fukked up that place since they took it back. The whole province is in utter ruin. People are dying because the medical facilities have fallen apart. The comrades though, they are living the high life.
Did the DA treat their coalition partners well though when they had power? They seem to have a reputation among quite a few parties for being bullies in coalition arrangements and I don't think they will achieve what they did in 2016 for a very long time for this reason.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Did the DA treat their coalition partners well though when they had power? They seem to have a reputation among quite a few parties for being bullies in coalition arrangements and I don't think they will achieve what they did in 2016 for a very long time for this reason.
They should never have gone into coalitions with criminals. It will never work.

The criminals undermined them from the word go. Once people in SA realise that the EFF is only ANC+ and basically the same cancer on SA you know you cannot go into coalition with hem ever.

The EFF has zero morals, they lie each time they speak to their voters, they hate whites, they loot whenever/whatever they can. The champagne revolutionaries is everything that is wrong with Africa contained in a party. You might as well go into a coalition with a bunch of pedophiles.

STS

Mafia Detective
That is another thing which is hampering the DA. Too many of its members and leaders throw tantrums when the party is in the wrong or critiqued (Renaldo is often made fun of for this) and deflect saying that they are not the ANC.

Gwenn Ngwenya and Cameron MacKenzie are among the few that does not and whilst I often disagree with them, I have to say that the party would benefit if more of its electorate and members conducted themselves like those two.

I'm not really sure what Renaldo was trying to achieve here. This won't help him to grow the DA, it proves that he is ignorant of the complexities and on the ground issues in South Africa. The DA has a reputation of being ignorant on those exact issues and he is only harming them.

What a twat, equating people that use twitter to the voter base :p

abzo

Honorary Master
I can’t find his new account here but only his @Rendier account. The one with the 3 seems to be gone. Unless Rendier is someone else. Also from PE though.

Where are these videos that resurfaced and what were his homophobic comments?

vigras rojara

Expert Member
Haven't read the quotes, but he probably champions the party think for the time they think that. Until they fund another angle, and them he agrees with that too.