DA Councillor Renaldo Gouws embroiled in social media row

thechamp

Honorary Master
Our current situation has been created by national government, who is responsible for the national budget as well as education, imagine just for a second all the money that was/is being stolen is rather given to provinces to uplift the poor, the ANC have created this situation, the DA can only do so much with what they have available.
Then the DA which has been entrusted by the voters to run the WC should be able to sort that out to a good extent in their own province, no? Unless all they want to do is blame the ANC the same way the ANC is blaming the National Party?

dj2381

Expert Member
Then the DA which has been entrusted by the voters to run the WC should be able to sort that out in their own province, no? Unless all they want to do is blame the ANC the same way the ANC is blaming the National Party?
I didn't realize the NP were still around? :eek:

The DA is doing a better job in the WC for a reason, and they would be able to do a lot better with more resources, but instead those resources are being stolen by your beloved ANC.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Then they should not be under any threat from the increasing uneducated and poor masses, just keep their own masses properly educated and not poor, they will run the province until Jesus Christ comes back.
I think it has already been pointed out at you that they grow by day.

access

Honorary Master
I didn't realize the NP were still around? :eek:

The DA is doing a better job in the WC for a reason, and they would be able to do a lot better with more resources, but instead those resources are being stolen by your beloved ANC.
typical for it to look behind it for excuses.

you can see it is ignoring things that was just said to it minutes ago.

either it is stupid, or it is acting stupid. either way attempting to reason with it is stupid. i too made a stupid. no doubt the other band members will be here soon to edge it on and applaud.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
He's kind of funny actually. Most of his Tweets are insults at other people and Trumpian in style. It's also ironic how he gets outraged when someone has a go at the DA or Helen Zille but claims to be against outrage.

For some reason, he turned a blind eye when Trollip had a go at Zille but he unleashed his wrath on Mashaba and Maimane.

He also goes on about being "centrist leaning left" all the time, when he is clearly centre-right or moderately right. His views on gun control certainly are right-wing.
Is your "centrist leaning left" or "centre-right" view in relation to where you as an individual stand on this largely meaningless timeline? Or do you claim to be outside of it all and totally objective?

Last edited:

R13...

Honorary Master
Who is "he". The Da oke or the naidoo oke? Who are you referring to?
The subject of this thread. Obviously. Not sure how long you've been here but he used to post videos here and we had spirited debates over his take on things. He was mostly wrong and ignorant of the 411 on the ground. At least he tried.

R13...

Honorary Master
Who is "he". The Da oke or the naidoo oke? Who are you referring to?
The subject of this thread. Obviously. Not sure how long you've been here but he used to post videos here and we had spirited debates over his take on things. He was mostly wrong and ignorant of the 411 on the ground. At least he tried.

koeks525

Expert Member
wut? hes a da councillor?

meh
This was my initial reaction... all this time, the bloke is a ANC-Lite councilor and he sends his pawns to spam the live streams from Government.
The DA is a joke.
It is sad because the party was doing well in its prime days (2010 -> the EFF came into parliament). Now, they no different to the ANC... so I call them the ANC-Lite.

newjourno

Expert Member
The DA's recent strategy seems not to be going for large numbers of poor or non-white voters. They seem to be fighting on the defensive to prevent further loss of white voters (and funding) to the FF+.
It's not going to work. They have a left-leaning outspoken caucus comprising the likes of Van Damme and co who won't hesitate to call out people like Kohler-Barnard and Ngwenya who the party is going to promote in order to try and win back the voters that they alienated.

The VF+ takes more populist stances on the issues which the DA performed a U-Turn on since Steenhuisen became leader. The DA can't afford to do that or their infighting will continue.

The VF+ already uses Van Damme to bait the DA and take its support. I've seen many of their members and supporters doing so on social media. The DA can't exactly get rid of her since she will cause them very bad publicity if it ends on bad terms. There are more people like her in the party as well.

rh1

It is certainly possible that he may have been radical in the past and became more moderate over-time. That does happen as a lot of people undergo a change in their political leanings over-time.

His views certainly did change as he performed a U-Turn on BEE twice.

He explicitly states in the video from 2010 that he does not support it, claimed to support it during Maimane's term as DA leader and now does not support it again.
So typical politician.

newjourno

Expert Member
Is your "centrist leaning left" or "centre-right" view n relation to where you as an individual stand on this largely meaningless timeline? Or do you claim to be outside of it all and totally objective?
I was pointing out that the "centrist leaning left" thing is another thing which Renaldo gets made fun of in addition to the "four-degree" references he makes now and then.

His defence of being left-leaning is that he believes in a safety net for the poor, yet his views on most other issues are right-wing.

newjourno

Expert Member
One of the things he missed the point on badly this year was when he had a go at Zozi Ntunzi for speaking out against the stigmatization of dark-skinned individuals like herself which is not even a racial issue since it happens to dark-skinned individuals across all races.

He felt that it excluded white people.

He provides us with some classic comedy shows every now and then.

He seems to be popular with the dominant faction of the DA which is even worse at understanding the on the ground issues than the previous one so he may just have a bright future politically.

RedViking

Nord of the South
This was my initial reaction... all this time, the bloke is a ANC-Lite councilor and he sends his pawns to spam the live streams from Government.

It is sad because the party was doing well in its prime days (2010 -> the EFF came into parliament). Now, they no different to the ANC... so I call them the ANC-Lite.
No, they are different in the sense that they get some stuff done. But the a party for a minority and rich