DA Councillor Renaldo Gouws embroiled in social media row

Bismuth

Expert Member
I have always found his commentary refreshing, unexpected from a politician with ambition, but great nonetheless. But, if you say he's toning it down as he has his eyes on parliament, then that does make sense.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I have always found his commentary refreshing, unexpected from a politician with ambition, but great nonetheless. But, if you say he's toning it down as he has his eyes on parliament, then that does make sense.
He will need to learn how to bridge his personal identity with the DA political brand and with his commercial brand because I don’t believe he will be able to separate these. To have your own views is a right, but those views also incubate within your employment, and these developments or reactions my end up in a stern warning or your dismissal. Many employees add this trademark to their Twitter or any other social media, handle, “my views are my own”, and that doesn’t always hold up and there is already case law in this regard.

Daniel Friedman was another person who got caught by the above. He couldn’t separate his characters. On the one hand, he tried to be a comedian and on the other, he tried to be a serious reporter. It isn’t easy to balance, and you are going to drop the ball in your employer’s court.

Renaldo is quite unique. Renaldo is quick to point out people blocking him, be he is also quick to block people. He is clearly currently upset about people with a motive to cancel him, but he also went out to cancel Daniel Friedman. Does he want to be a representative candidate in parliament?

I honestly won’t be able to relate to him.

I am someone who likes Zille, Steenhuisen and their policy-makers, but I am unable to see an ‘online’ personality who tells everyone who touches his personal bubble to, “Tsek!”, within this circle. You need people to be able to express themselves, but their personality shouldn’t alienate others. Should he desire a spot in parliament, then the DA should be clear on the engagements.

newjourno

Expert Member
Daniel Friedman was another person who got caught by the above. He couldn’t separate his characters. On the one hand, he tried to be a comedian and on the other, he tried to be a serious reporter. It isn’t easy to balance, and you are going to drop the ball in your employer’s court.
I think Daniel's dismissal was more a case of conservative-leaning businessmen gunning for his removal. These particular individuals are big advertisers and sponsors of the Citizen. The paper had no choice but to fire him because as we have seen, these individuals are not afraid of boycotting businesses if they feel it is against them.

newjourno

Expert Member
I am someone who likes Zille, Steenhuisen and their policy-makers, but I am unable to see an ‘online’ personality who tells everyone who touches his personal bubble to, “Tsek!”
Renaldo does give certain people a free-pass so to that extent he is careful.

We saw how he didn't go after Trollip when Trollip had a go at Zille (he rants at anyone else prominent who has a go at Zille).

He issued a pathetic response saying its not his issue when Zille was in dialogue with UDM leader Holomisa last year over a possible coalition agreement. He had been ranting about the UDM and Holomisa prior, saying that they can't be trusted but Zille was in dialogue with them.

newjourno

Expert Member
He’s probably reading this. Just know that we’re not afraid of you, Renaldo. We’ve dealt with you once on this forum and we will do so again.
Knowing him, he may be here as we speak.

He definitely knows about this. He is well known in the South African online world and would have been alerted to it.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I see Renaldo's Twittwar (or whatever it is called) turned into a SAHRC dispute, against him. Silly to be honest.

I don't see where Renaldo crossed the line.

newjourno

Expert Member
I don't see where Renaldo crossed the line.
Agreed, he certainly does come across as very ignorant, but the only times I think he oversteps the line is when he questions the intelligence of ANC/EFF voters every now and then.

His answer to why the DA fails to grow is "voter ignorance". He can't seem to fathom that the DA is not appealing to majority of the country.

The reasons for that are more complex and people who do that often are sympathetic to anti-black racism.

He also needs to end his social media war with the "woke-left", it's going to get him nowhere and comes across as Trumpian. I've seen Gary Koekemoer intellectually demolish him in debates many times but to his credit, he does retreat when he knows that he can't go any further.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Agreed, he certainly does come across as very ignorant, but the only times I think he oversteps the line is when he questions the intelligence of ANC/EFF voters every now and then.

His answer to why the DA fails to grow is "voter ignorance". He can't seem to fathom that the DA is not appealing to majority of the country.

The reasons for that are more complex and people who do that often are sympathetic to anti-black racism.

He also needs to end his social media war with the "woke-left", it's going to get him nowhere and comes across as Trumpian. I've seen Gary Koekemoer intellectually demolish him in debates many times but to his credit, he does retreat when he knows that he can't go any further.
He wouldn't be one of the high IQ faction of this forum if he didn't do that, you don't have a choice, if you don't do that they treat you with suspicion and call you names.

dj2381

Expert Member
It's difficult not to question it :ROFL: But to be fair it's not the voters fault, it's those in charge of education in this country, the ANC have completely screwed the people of this country possibly for many generations to come, I suspect the EFF would do the same if they were in power, better to dumb down the population so they continue to vote for empty promises.

Jabulani22

Expert Member
Friedman deserved to be fired , hate speech and all that.
Anc voters are of questionable intelligence , unless they are part of the cadres enriching themselves.
If you lived in a shack or mud hut 26 years ago and still do so now (after years of believing lies)but you votela iANC every election , that's grounds to assume questionable intelligence.
Renaldo has some interesting points on subjects but unfortunately for him , wrong country to try make a difference in , possibly wrong continent.

newjourno

Expert Member
He wouldn't be one of the high IQ faction of this forum if he didn't do that, you don't have a choice, if you don't do that they treat you with suspicion and call you names.
Most of them want the DA/VF+ to grow very badly but can't seem to realize that they are personifications of why those parties will never rule in our lifetimes.

abzo

Honorary Master
Have any of you bought from this clothing line? His camo jacket is nice, it will disguise how much of a **** he is.

EADC

Executive Member
Have any of you bought from this clothing line? His camo jacket is nice, it will disguise how much of a **** he is.
What fool would by anything from a politician/wannebe DJ

newjourno

Expert Member
What fool would by anything from a politician/wannebe DJ
He did an election survey earlier this year on Twitter and the VF+ won. It's safe to say that those surveys (most often) echo the sentiment of the followers of the user creating it. So his supporters may not even come from his own party.

Last edited: