DA exposes ‘top secret’ government document that suggests a massive ANC power grab

Cius

Executive Member
Anyone know if there has been any polling of support levels for the ANC before and after the crises. To me they stuffed up managing COVID 19 to an epic level. I know the next election is far off but curious to know how the rural ANC voters are taking all this.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Anyone know if there has been any polling of support levels for the ANC before and after the crises. To me they stuffed up managing COVID 19 to an epic level. I know the next election is far off but curious to know how the rural ANC voters are taking all this.
Not that I know of, and why would anyone bother polling the ANC? There has been polls on Cyril and I think there should be polls on government somewhere.

The rural and township voters would soon find out the consequences of not listening to the government messages and adhering to regulations on Covid-19.

Ishould_BeWorking

Epidemic = opportunity for release of funds = self enrichment

Christmas came early

Politicians !

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
According to the DA:

Are ‘District Champions’ part of ‘top secret’ ANC power grab plot?
Issued by Cilliers Brink MP – DA Shadow Deputy Minister of Cooperative Governance & Traditional Affairs

The Democratic Alliance (DA) can confirm that the national government is now “deploying” ministers and deputy ministers to local and provincial governments as part of the Command Council system.

Letters have been sent to premiers and mayors informing them of who their “District Champions” are – the selfsame proposal of “district political champions” is used in the government document revealed by the DA yesterday, and marked “top secret”.

The document describes the Covid-19 pandemic as an ideal opportunity for the centralisation of government power. It touts the government’s District Development Plan as the mechanism to achieve this aim.

As the DA said yesterday: we are worried that the document might signal the ANC’s intention to roll back the powers of elected local and provincial governments, and so we are putting a formal parliamentary question to President Cyril Ramaphosa to find out whether the document reflects the government’s thinking.

In the meantime, the deployment letters sent to mayors and premiers do not specify what powers and responsibilities the deployed District Champions will have.

The DA believes that some municipalities have declined the invitation to accept their appointed District Champions, at least until the President has clarified their terms of reference.

While it is essential for all spheres of government to cooperate to improve services and defeat the Covid-19 pandemic, this starts with ministers doing their day jobs with diligence and care.

Some of these ministers, including Bheki Cele at Police, Lindiwe Zulu at Social Services, and Ebrahim Patel at Trade and Industry have been at the centre of undermining government efforts to fight the pandemic.

Even the Department of Cooperative Governance have been singularly uncooperative. Months after President Cyril Ramaphosa promised billions in aid to lockdown-ravaged municipalities, it is still not clear if and when municipalities will receive this assistance.

In places like the Govan Mbeki Local Municipality, where the Bethal/Emzinoni community have been suffering load-shedding of up to 12 hours a day since the start of the lockdown, national government is yet to use its existing powers to broker a deal to help the delinquent municipality service its Eskom debt.

In addition to clarity on the so-called top secret document, the DA will now also ask the President to take the country into his confidence about what he is sending his ministers and deputy ministers to do in their role as District Champions.

For one, we want to know whether the country and the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic will not be better served if the President in fact better supervises his own ministers instead of sending them to supervise mayors and premiers.
I don't see an issue with this, these ministers and deputy ministers are likely on audit runs and to bridge the communication gap.

To quote the letter,

RE: INTRODUCTION OF THE DISTRICT CHAMPION

Last year President Cyril Ramaphosa launched the District Development Model, with a view to improving intergovernmental cooperation and alignment of service delivery and rapid responses in a districtbased approach.

Cabinet has decided that efforts of Government to mitigate impact of Covid – 19 pandemic will be based on the district approach, with particular focus on hotspot areas. In this regard, Ministers and Deputy Ministers are deployed as the District Champions to the districts and metropolitans areas to strengthen mitigation efforts.

I am pleased to inform you that, I am deployed to Joe Gqabi District Municipality, and as a result I would like to have a virtual meeting with the leadership of your municipality to discuss my deployment and aspects related to that deployment. In particular, I suggest that the meeting takes place this 2 week.
where is the issue? Since when is management a crime, go resolve this 'roll back' in the ConCourt.

R13...

Honorary Master

thechamp

Honorary Master
I guess DM is now officially part of the NDZ cabal, alongside eNCA and the judges?

R13...

Honorary Master
Read the article. The title is click-baity.
I did and I see nothing there but the DA being alarmist and jumping at shadows. It also looks like these "district champions" are only intended for ANC controlled areas. I am not sure how they make the leap from there to abolishing of provincial and local elections. Even the hardest of DA supporters has to admit there's no way you can make a rational connection between that and abolishing local elections.

Vorastra

Expert Member
I did and I see nothing there but the DA being alarmist and jumping at shadows. It also looks like these "district champions" are only intended for ANC controlled areas. I am not sure how they make the leap from there to abolishing of provincial and local elections. Even the hardest of DA supporters has to admit there's no way you can make a rational connection between that and abolishing local elections.
I agree about the document. I read and even posted interesting points a day or 2 back in this thread.

I can't see how the DA arrived at their conclusion either.

There are definitely issues in the draft such as taking power out of the cities and spreading it among the far-flung surrounding areas, which is ridiculous.

The reason I said the title is click-baity is the fact that out of the entire article that's all you managed to get from it. It finger-wags at the DA while discussing the content of the draft.

Either way, their alarmist response made the draft popular whereby it's other issues can now be scrutinised.

John Tempus

Expert Member
HAHAHA and they already pulled the "its an old draft" tactic and many idiots on this forum will fall for that claim. The ANC implemented BBEEE many decades ago but I guess today they can also claim it magically doesn't exist because its an "old draft", wake up idiots.

Exactly the same thing they did with covid19 relief funds "old draft" which was in fact the actual in-use draft.

God or some mystical being should implant some intelligence in this zombie nation because it seems any bogus excuse the ANC make about leaked documents is always sucked up and accepted by the populous.

Good riddance , at least no one would have to put off the lights when they exit.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The NCC has deployed its 'agents' to provinces and municipalities. Now I wonder how the DA is going to respond now in the light that it has been announced by the president.

Note: I don't see anything wrong with this, it is understandable that the ANC would employ personnel to these organs which is in direct contact with the NCC.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Given the ANC's previous behaviour along with their desperation to hold onto power it is not unreasonable to be suspicious. Particularly given the nature of the NCC and it's repeated overreach.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Furthermore when the ANC actually fixes one of the many municipalities they've previously destroyed, when they actually deal with corruption, then people might actually believe them.

noxibox

Honorary Master
The exemplary response by South African government to the Covid-19 crisis has demonstrated the institutional strength of the district health system and the importance of centralising operations, decision making, policy making and project planning through the Command Council.
It's exactly this sort of horse sh*t that should make people suspicious. There hasn't been an exemplary response. The command council has acted in secret and made a huge mess. Their main achievement has been demonstrated their love of power.

Oooh, ANC-Lite came with receipts for once! Call us when the paw-paw hits the fan so we can get our popcorn ready (like the Auny Pat debacle).
Well at least they got rid of her.