DA Western Cape chief Bonginkosi Madikizela does not have a BCom degree, as publicly claimed

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
The DA’s Western Cape leader, Bonginkosi Madikizela, does not hold a BCom in Human Resource Management – despite claiming this in his official biography. The DA has admitted it never vetted his qualifications.

The idea that Madikizela was unaware that since 2009 it has been on public record that he had earned a BCom is implausible.

Since President Cyril Ramaphosa signed the amended National Qualifications Framework Act into law in 2019, it has been a criminal offence to lie about your credentials.

As of Tuesday evening, there was no indication from the DA that the party intended to investigate the matter or take any action against Madikizela, despite having attention drawn to the issue by Daily Maverick.

This is in stark contrast to the DA’s approach to similar qualifications scandals involving members of the ANC and government.

surface

Honorary Master
I think this is just a honest mistake by a website designer. Let us move on. Also, he is one of the decent guys left in DA and hopefully he will not be sacrificed as experiment.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
BCom paper Degree

Hours later, in a startling turnaround, Madikizela messaged to say: “I’ve noticed on my bio the (unfinished) is not on. I didn’t complete my BCom degree, I thought I should clarify that.”

Seen this on CV's many a time.

yebocan

Honorary Master

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Whilst a biography is not a CV, the appointment process needs to be investigated now and if his CV claimed he held a BCom back in 2009 then he should be disciplined and dismissed for the lie. Plain and simple.

Grant

Honorary Master
Out with him
He lied from the outset and history has proved leopards have significant difficulty in changing their spots.

Lucas Buck

Executive Member
Whilst a biography is not a CV, the appointment process needs to be investigated now and if his CV claimed he held a BCom back in 2009 then he should be disciplined and dismissed for the lie. Plain and simple.
I've seen someone hired on the bases that he was busy completing the qualification required for the position. Six years later and he still hasn't completed the degree.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I've seen someone hired on the bases that he was busy completing the qualification required for the position. Six years later and he still hasn't completed the degree.

He was obviously open and honest about the fact that the degree wasn't completed at that point.

If Bonginkosi did the same back then, then fine... but if his CV claimed he had a BCom when he doesn't then he lied and should be dismissed.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
He was obviously open and honest about the fact that the degree wasn't completed at that point.

If Bonginkosi did the same back then, then fine... but if his CV claimed he had a BCom when he doesn't then he lied and should be dismissed.
I find it hard to believe the DA would have not checked his CV and didn't know his degree was incomplete.
If they really didn't know then that is a clear dereliction on their part and one has to wonder how many others in the DA are there under false pretenses?