Dad sues Lanseria Airport for R3.5m after son breaks arm in baggage conveyor

Pitbull

Verboten
This isn't the USA :D

People see punitive judgements and think, WOW we can make a killing! That's not how SA law works. R 3.5m? LOL he must be farking daft!

isie

Honorary Master

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I always watched my two year old like to a hawk to prevent anything like this from ever happening.
Just saying ....

Sollie

Expert Member
I always watched my two year old like to a hawk to prevent anything like this from ever happening.
Just saying ....
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, you are going to fail. Get used to it. That does not mean you should not at least try. Talk to them, tell them no, warn them - then deliberately silently leave them to ignore you when the consequences aren't too serious. Parenting 101 ;)

Swa

Honorary Master
The airport failed in two regards. First to allow access to a restricted area and then to have failed to properly maintain equipment. As the airport has trained personnel (or is supposed to have) they are seen as the responsible party. As for the amount it may well be the child has some disability or limitation in the future so R3.5m isn't that much.

Executive Member
The airport failed in two regards. First to allow access to a restricted area and then to have failed to properly maintain equipment. As the airport has trained personnel (or is supposed to have) they are seen as the responsible party. As for the amount it may well be the child has some disability or limitation in the future so R3.5m isn't that much.
It'd be a hard thing to sell on the loss of income, the child has no skills that could be quantified. Children break their arms all the time, R3.5 million feels like a stretch.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Sounds reasonable. 3.5m is not much in today's economy and the future of our economy it will be even less useful.

Would like to see photo of kids arm though.....

isie

Honorary Master
Airport should sue his son for trespassing.... he was not allowed in that area, his parents should have kept an eye on their son.
yeh - how do we know the child wasn't the one who removed the Panel in the first place ?

Swa

Honorary Master
It'd be a hard thing to sell on the loss of income, the child has no skills that could be quantified. Children break their arms all the time, R3.5 million feels like a stretch.
Can't compare this type of injury to falling and having a clean break. I'm sure there will be doctors testifying to what the type of injury is. Not being able to quantify anything is exactly why the amount is so high. It's not about skills but and the impairment resulting from the injury.

yeh - how do we know the child wasn't the one who removed the Panel in the first place ?
A kid removing something that should be properly secured and screwed on in most cases? That sounds like a stretch and even then it's still negligence is it can happen.

isie

Honorary Master
Can't compare this type of injury to falling and having a clean break. I'm sure there will be doctors testifying to what the type of injury is. Not being able to quantify anything is exactly why the amount is so high. It's not about skills but and the impairment resulting from the injury.

A kid removing something that should be properly secured and screwed on in most cases? That sounds like a stretch and even then it's still negligence is it can happen.
kid managed to evade his parents and security , i'm not putting anything past this kid :sneaky:

tRoN

Executive Member
Parents should be sued for neglecting to stop the child from entering a restricted area

noxibox

Honorary Master
The trouble with today's snowflake world is that control and discipline are out of favour and parents (plus teachers) are likely to be arrested for as little as bollocking the little angel before even thinking about a klap.

Having said that, a busy place like an airport requires 100% attention on young kids.

RE - Jupp proceeded to repack some items from the overweight bag into another, ............
Presumably to carry on board as hand luggage; possibly in excess of that limit?
Discpline is very much in favour. I see parents disciplining their children every day.

It is simply impossible to give 100% attention to children, especially in a place like a busy airport.

Nothing wrong with redistributing to hand luggage.

I am pretty sure the airport have "Enter at own risk, zero liability notices" showing all around the place so this guy is wasting his time in court.
Those signs and any related forms no longer absolve companies of responsibility.

Everyone talks about responsibility, but somehow companies must get a free pass to be negligent. Lawsuits may have gotten out of hand, but greedy, negligent businesspeople who want all the money with none of the responsibility brought this on themselves.

+1, you don't take your eyes of a 2 yo, they are much faster then you'd realize. Parent negligence.
You try not to. Reality is a different matter.

So kid sneaked past parents and security and went into a restricted area and injured himself - even if the panel was supposed to be closed - he clearly went to an area he wasn't supposed to be at.
Which means the airport has a significant responsibility here. This accident simply couldn't have happened if the airport had acted properly.

why do i feel like if security stopped this kid the parents would be the type to have an issue with how dare they stop him
I don't know, why do you?

Executive Member
It's not about skills but and the impairment resulting from the injury.
Article contradicts this point you made:

Bryn Jupp is seeking R3.5m in damages for past medical expenses, future medical expenses, general damages for pain and suffering and loss of income.

isie

Honorary Master
Which means the airport has a significant responsibility here. This accident simply couldn't have happened if the airport had acted properly.

I don't know, why do you?
I disagree - yes its a safety issue and we not sure if there were any warnings etc regarding the open panel - if an employee fell in and got hurt a different story - but here a person not allowed went in and stuck there hand in, could be wrong (but check in at the airport its normally open but with warning where passengers can go and can't go) but maybe there is no security and just a sign that says only employees beyond this point then are they at fault as well.

and why i say that i feel like that, because they seem to blame everyone but they themselves could not watch their own child, there is a level of responsibility you need to have for your child - i have seen this before kids run a muck parent don't care someone else scolds them an then the parent has an issue.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Negligence on the staff side if the child passed them.
Pretty sure their job description doesn't include "parenting other people's children".

Even so **** happens and it's not really anybody fault. The 3.5 million Rand claim, however, is ridiculous.

It's a broken arm for **** sakes....something probably near everyone on this forum has managed.