Danger of an SA mobile network crunch

cavedog

Honorary Master
I actually agree with MTN.

They are making use of the temporary spectrum.

For me it's the difference between 14Mbps and 100Mbps.

Band 41 x 2 gives me 100Mbps but their own spectrum in Band 1 and 3 struggles to reach 20Mbps so I assume it's pretty congested.

markings

Expert Member
Is there any disadvantage to extending the license? If not it would be stupid not to extend.

Happy Days

Nobody's arguing about the benefits of the temporary spectrum, but this was always intended to be temporary. It's a year later and MTN still want to continue using it (for free?) while interdicting ICASA from holding the auction. As the saying goes: "No good deed goes unpunished".

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Nobody's arguing about the benefits of the temporary spectrum, but this was always intended to be temporary. It's a year later and MTN still want to continue using it (for free?) while interdicting ICASA from holding the auction. As the saying goes: "No good deed goes unpunished".
“MTN is already paying for the use of the temporary spectrum and that amount is at the discretion of ICASA.”

Mtn does pay for it.

Happy Days

“MTN is already paying for the use of the temporary spectrum and that amount is at the discretion of ICASA.”

Mtn does pay for it.
Thanks for clarifying that. When all is said and done, it's more than a year later and it was a temporary solution. MTN now wants to interdict ICASA from holding the auction (for good reason I believe), but at the same time wants to continue having the cake and eating it. AFAIK, the time frame for the use of the temporary spectrum was never contingent on an auction date.