Dangers of steroids.

zeridine

No, its ignorant in saying that everyone who takes steroids will have life long bad acne/scarring.

Its like an article showing that a skydiver died because his parachute failed to open, and then everyone saying "Oh, its going to happen to every single person who skydives"

Showing one extremely bad case and saying that its the danger of steroids is like showing one extremely bad case of a drunk driving accident and then telling everyone not to drink at all because it WILL happen to them.
please quote me where i said that everyone taking steroids will have life long acne/scarring. i said its irresponsible and ignorant to say that side effects are exaggerated and sensationalist.

I whole heartedly agree with your skydiver analogy, but i also think you're over simplifying the issue. your chances are very very good to develop acne when using steroids, though to look like a stevens-johnson sufferer isn't as common. the risks for serious side effects or adverse events are quite high - thats why you should see a medical professional to get hold of the said substances legally. if you get steroids for vanity issues and by questionable means, you are looking for serious trouble.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
Damn straight they bad...

Some dudes figs shriveling up, ending up looking like raisins - hell no!

:eek:

All natural is the way to go...

Swimming, running, cycling... Yip.

Enough of that and the guys body becomes the stuff of legends (for women - that is.)...

:)

remybfg10k

Expert Member
please quote me where i said that everyone taking steroids will have life long acne/scarring. i said its irresponsible and ignorant to say that side effects are exaggerated and sensationalist.

I whole heartedly agree with your skydiver analogy, but i also think you're over simplifying the issue. your chances are very very good to develop acne when using steroids, though to look like a stevens-johnson sufferer isn't as common. the risks for serious side effects or adverse events are quite high - thats why you should see a medical professional to get hold of the said substances legally. if you get steroids for vanity issues and by questionable means, you are looking for serious trouble.
zeridine, the original article was sensationalism, it had a very biased and skewed view, i think our wires got crossed. I'm not saying that there are no serious side effects to taking steroids!

I do honestly believe that after reading and watching many different articles/videos on performance enhancing drugs that YMMV and by looking at what percentage people have used steroids without any long term/serious side effects it makes you wonder a bit about why the Mr Olympia bodybuilders (who take a SERIOUS amount of drugs) are not sitting with this incredibly bad acne, you don't see Arnold or Sylvester or even Dolph sitting with this either, and then one guy (i'm just using the original article as an example) has this serious life long side effects and that should then warn EVERYONE to not use them?

remybfg10k

Expert Member
You're using steriods, hey? :D
No, i play rugby and there are very real threats to getting tested.

I just believe that a person should make an informed decision regarding anything in life, be it taking drugs, choosing to skydive etc

Let a person make up their own mind by giving them ALL the information, good and bad!

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Damn straight they bad...

Some dudes figs shriveling up, ending up looking like raisins - hell no!

:eek:

All natural is the way to go...

Swimming, running, cycling... Yip.

Enough of that and the guys body becomes the stuff of legends (for women - that is.)...

You got it right "Some dudes" not all ;)

Here's a quick Q for you, would you say natural is the way to go would include not drinking protein shakes etc?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Maybe, but it does make your penis shrivel up and die :p
That is a rumour that people spread that's supposed to scare you into not using roids. Utter BS of course...the worst that can happen (and you must really OD on the juice, and its only temporary), is that your testes will stop producing sperm and shrink JUST A LITTLE BIT, not really noticeable. But once you're clean again, everything returns to normal.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
You got it right "Some dudes" not all ;)

Here's a quick Q for you, would you say natural is the way to go would include not drinking protein shakes etc?
Depends on the contents of said protein shake...

Put it this way... Would you consider putting something in your body, that (naturally) wouldn't ever enter it? Vitamins are absorbed by the body in food etc. anyway...

But stuff like creatine (which most protein shakes contain), tricks your body into doing things...

Gymnasts (the smart ones), for example, don't pump their bodies full of what could be regarded as nuclear waste, yet they have well built bodies...

I'm all in favour of vitamins, fresh fruit and exercise (lots of it), as it is the best way of conditioning one's body that contains the least risk of any 'weird' repercussions...

Debbie

Banned
Identity_crisis how do you distinguish between something that 'naturally' would enter your body, and something that 'naturally' would not?

But stuff like creatine (which most protein shakes contain), tricks your body into doing things...
eg creatine- "Creatine is nitrogenous organic acid that occurs naturally in vertebrates and helps to supply energy to muscle and nerve cells." (wiki)

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
Identity_crisis how do you distinguish between something that 'naturally' would enter your body, and something that 'naturally' would not?

eg creatine- "Creatine is nitrogenous organic acid that occurs naturally in vertebrates and helps to supply energy to muscle and nerve cells." (wiki)
Phrased incorrectly (apologies)...

Yes. It is natural. However, that can be misguiding...

Since the creatine you buy is not exactly extracted and dried up, it is not natural.

Creatine the amino acid is natural - biosynthesized from three different amino acids - arginine, glycine, and methionine

The Creatine purchased is NOT 100% natural. No matter what the bottles say..

Debbie

Banned
Is it not natural because it hasn't been synthesised from amino acids inside the body?

What if you don't take creatine per se, but consume buckets of the precursor amino acids, would that count as 'natural' or 'unnatural' creatine intake?

What if you eat a huge load of red meat, like a few kgs of a cow (which contains already-synthesised creatine, as I understand) would that count as 'natural' creatine intake?

Lino

I am back
So real evidence of 1 person having life long bad side effects means that it will happen to everyone taking steroids?

Sensationalism (or as i call it crap journalism)
Considering it is known that this stuff does cause both long term and short tem damage. Not to mention it can make little snakie smaller as well.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Considering it is known that this stuff does cause both long term and short tem damage. Not to mention it can make little snakie smaller as well.
You are seriously misinformed. It does not make anything smaller. Like in my previous post, the only thing that MAY become a LITTLE smaller, are your testicles, and that only after serious abuse of juice, and even then it's only temporary.

Pitbull

Verboten
Roids does do some scary shyt if used incorrectly. I'm not talking it good but have been thru a few cycles and nothing happened. Appart from my floppy dk (Deca) :D

Mood swings - Check
Hot flushes - Check
Bruises from injections - Check

That is just about all I got. But this is with no stacking and a weekly check up from the doc.

a Mate of mine stacked some funny shyt and developed a tit on his chest. The gland had to be removed on the operating table :eek:

zeridine

zeridine, the original article was sensationalism, it had a very biased and skewed view, i think our wires got crossed. I'm not saying that there are no serious side effects to taking steroids!

I do honestly believe that after reading and watching many different articles/videos on performance enhancing drugs that YMMV and by looking at what percentage people have used steroids without any long term/serious side effects it makes you wonder a bit about why the Mr Olympia bodybuilders (who take a SERIOUS amount of drugs) are not sitting with this incredibly bad acne, you don't see Arnold or Sylvester or even Dolph sitting with this either, and then one guy (i'm just using the original article as an example) has this serious life long side effects and that should then warn EVERYONE to not use them?
yip. i guess we are arguing the same thing?
though i still dont think that article is exaggerated or sensationalist- it could happen and easily, esp if you dont know what you're doing - "trust me. i'm a doctor (TM)" :D
i wouldn't say no one should use it, i'm saying if you want to dabble in this stuff, go see a sports physician (or urologist).

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Aren't they illegal in the first place?
Not 'illegal' in that sense, steroids are actually a scheduled drug. So if you know your pharmacist he can get you whatever you need, just not in large supply.