Dark, dingy and dirty - OR Tambo and the wasted year.

neoprema

Executive Member
I've recently been to 2 EU airports and 1 Arab one.

The 2020 pandemic hit everyone hard, but as it began easing - and travel not picking up entirely - many countries used the very rare opportunity of almost-empty airports to due needed maintenance and some even to do re-designs.

The 3 airports i visited recently did that in some way or another.

Then you land at OR Tambo...
-Broken ceiling panels in arrivals
-Non-working escalators and travelators
-Floor tiles not fitting properly on air bridges
-Absolutely filthy pavements outside arrivals and departures levels roads.
-Old, and broken decor.
-Elevators that were last cleaned who knows when, hardly work properly and are terrible.
-Transfer buses that look like they've never been vacuumed or washed (here's looking at you Menzies)

What was ACSA doing during the pandemic? I mean forget about re-building and putting in new stuff could they not have at least CLEANED the airport properly when it had no passengers?!

neoprema

Executive Member
sad to hear, OR Tambo was quite well run pre pandemic
Unfortunately it looks like ACSA's response to COVID-19 was "oh well lets all go home and come back in a year to see if it magically maintained itself with fairies." It didn't.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I've recently been to 2 EU airports and 1 Arab one.

The 2020 pandemic hit everyone hard, but as it began easing - and travel not picking up entirely - many countries used the very rare opportunity of almost-empty airports to due needed maintenance and some even to do re-designs.

The 3 airports i visited recently did that in some way or another.

Then you land at OR Tambo...
-Broken ceiling panels in arrivals
-Non-working escalators and travelators
-Floor tiles not fitting properly on air bridges
-Absolutely filthy pavements outside arrivals and departures levels roads.
-Old, and broken decor.
-Elevators that were last cleaned who knows when, hardly work properly and are terrible.
-Transfer buses that look like they've never been vacuumed or washed (here's looking at you Menzies)

What was ACSA doing during the pandemic? I mean forget about re-building and putting in new stuff could they not have at least CLEANED the airport properly when it had no passengers?!
Eish... The European has returned.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Why I love the Philippines, it looks so much worse than Southern Africa, but the people are so much more happier and friendly. You get there and the floor is under water, and everyone is laughing and running and splashing.....

You come back to Africa and Karen is starting a thread because the ceiling panel sits skeef.

:p

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Why I love the Philippines, it looks so much worse than Southern Africa, but the people are so much more happier and friendly. You get there and the floor is under water, and everyone is laughing and running and splashing.....

You come back to Africa and Karen is starting a thread because the ceiling panel sits skeef.

The problem is that the skeef ceiling panel is just the outward sign of a lot worse systemic failure.

sandwitch

If I go to a toilet at Clark International, it's tiled properly, and it flushes. The last time I went to a toilet at Jhb in arrivals there was a fist sized hole in the wall through to the other side where the cistern goes in the wall. Talking to a stranger in same bathroom as you is one thing. Talking to a stranger who's outside the bathroom, in an airport passage, while you're on the toilet, is an experience I don't want to repeat.

And the ceiling panel could be an attempt at a spy cam African style. We're not a subtle nation.

Last edited:

neoprema

Executive Member

oi, i'm no Karen! I just want the best country in Africa to have the best looking airport in Africa and currently its not.

neoprema

Executive Member

But are they really happy? Would they not maybe be happier if they paid just a bit more and the money was used wisely and they got a clean, shiny floor that's dry and has comfortable seats and a Starbucks? Thats happiness.

RedViking

Nord of the South
oi, i'm no Karen! I just want the best country in Africa to have the best looking airport in Africa and currently its not.
I know. We all are gatvol of the state of things. But I am more worried about crime and the state of the justice system than a pretty airport. I think the airports have had a massive financial setback, who knows, maybe they improve things again to keep the rich happy.

neoprema

Executive Member
How? Was their rating on whether it has tar and water supply?

Cape Town is not too bad although i haven't been in ages. Mauritius I like, its got a nice vibe.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master

Customs staff in SA are the back to earth welcoming committee.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
I must admit that lighting has always been a problem at OR Tambo in some sections... and the lack of seating on the domestic side before check in is a PITA when you have a long wait.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
I must admit that lighting has always been a problem at OR Tambo in some sections... and the lack of seating on the domestic side before check in is a PITA when you have a long wait.

That's to force you into the restaurants to spend money. I also found the temperature in the international departures after passport control on the hot side. Probably to make you buy something to drink.