DarKWateR's most wanted upcoming Xbox games

BinaryJack

Spam
lol...i remember Legend of the Dragoon now...

Do anyone of you remember a title "Vagrant Story"
OMG!!! that was one amazing title, i still dont know how they crammed all they did into that little cd back then!

RPG_Fan

I sw that persona 4 is actually Shin megami tensei: Persona 4! :D

The persona series is one of the spinoffs like "Devil Summoner" & "Digital Devil Saga". I also read than Personal 4 had a social aspect to it to advance your skills.

Solidus said:
According the last Famitsu Valkyria Chronicles 2 might be on the PSP
Thats all I know for know, JRPG's for current gen consoles are seriously lacking and not what they were last-gen

One of the reasons I chose a PS3 was the probability it will have alot more JRPG titles in the future.

ZeroSplice

@Solidus - How could I have forgotten of Jeanne D'Arc!? The best JRPG I've played on the PSP.

I read about Valkyria Chronicles 2 yesterday. Would've been nice on the PS3, but, oh well.

Last Remnant - Stay away. I'd seriously advise playing a demo first. Interesting concept with the battle mechanics, but, it becomes incredibly repetitive.
Not to mention the off putting texture load times.

ZeroSplice

Haha. I for one don't mind mixed threads. So, what's the next big 360 game this year?

I've got my feelers out for Dragon Age, Magna Carta 2, Fallout GOTY.

BinaryJack

Spam
Last Remnant - Stay away. I'd seriously advise playing a demo first. Interesting concept with the battle mechanics, but, it becomes incredibly repetitive.
Not to mention the off putting texture load times.

Well I have heard all of that...the install severely mimised texture pop in and load times...
lol if I can survive the texture pop in and load times of mass effect and lost odyssey (loved it!!!) I can survive the pop in of last remnant...
I have read some reviews from hardcore rpgs fans and they rave about it...
In any case...it is part of the BT game rental thing so i can take it back if i dont like it! hehehe :p

ZeroSplice

Then that's great.

It's worth the play, but, not worth finishing.
Irrespective, I hope you enjoy game.

BinaryJack

Spam
By the way, Eternal Sonata is for sale on Kalahari for R100.

:sick:
i hated it! It is extremely pretty, looks absolutely beautiful...and then you have a 3 min cutscene followed by a 5 minute history lesson...and the moment is broken

DarKWateR

Expert Member
i hated it! It is extremely pretty, looks absolutely beautiful...and then you have a 3 min cutscene followed by a 5 minute history lesson...and the moment is broken

The biggest problem I had was the total absence of maps. Never knew where I was heading (with all the multi branching paths) and when I got to Fort Fermata....I almost slit my wrists. I'm still trying to figure out if Tales of Vesperia has a mini-map system.

RPG_Fan

DarKWateR said:
The biggest problem I had was the total absence of maps. Never knew where I was heading (with all the multi branching paths) and when I got to Fort Fermata....I almost slit my wrists. I'm still trying to figure out if Tales of Vesperia has a mini-map system.

Is it on par with Valkyria Chronicles? So for an RPG, is it still worth getting?

DarKWateR

Expert Member
So for an RPG, is it still worth getting?

Others say it's ok, but my personal opinion.... save the R100. Here's the reasons why I didn't like it...

1.) Horrible....err...rather...non existing map system.
2.) Annoyingly long cut-scenes.
3.) Even more annoying longer history lesson cut-scenes.
4.) Repetitive colour palette swapped enemies.
5.) Fort Fermata (you'll understand if you play it).
6.) Beat has the most annoying voice ever.
7.) Limited weapon upgrades (locked to specific character).
8.) In game money has almost no value since it's so piss easy to get.
9.) Annoying and sometimes frustrating puzzles.
10.) Do you want more reasons? :p

I think the thing I hated the most was the non-existing map system. Almost everybody that plays ES ends up reading some online FAQ or buying a guide.

But hey, it's my personal opinion. You might like it.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
Borderlands !!!

The concept seems interesting enough but I'm not holding my breath.

Lovely! JRPG talk.

@Darkwater - Yeah, FF CC was excellent. Definitely one of the better games I played on the PSP. What other JRPG's were there on the PSP? At the top of my head, I only recall:
- Brave Story
- Mana Khemia
- Dragoneer's Aria (Hated this)
- Crimson Gem Saga (Have yet to play)

Let me think... There was two titles I really enjoyed...emm....o yeah

- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythlogy (Awesome game!)
- Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (Cutesy platformer with RPG elements)

Do anyone of you remember a title "Vagrant Story"
OMG!!! that was one amazing title, i still dont know how they crammed all they did into that little cd back then!

I can almost smell my old box shape PS1... the memories. I still remember those little icons for each game save on the memory card.

man, a promising thread devolved into poo ........ bzzzzt you JRPG fanbois :p

RAS! :mad:

Haha. I for one don't mind mixed threads. So, what's the next big 360 game this year?

I've got my feelers out for Dragon Age, Magna Carta 2, Fallout GOTY.

Prefer JRPG over WRPG so my bet lies with Magna Carta 2 :)

RPG_Fan

DarKWateR said:
Prefer JRPG over WRPG so my bet lies with Magna Carta 2 :)
+1
I find that JRPG's have really strong plots & characters. It is like playing in an interactive fantasy movie where the the characters are driven by the plot. If you look at WRPG's, the character progression is usually driven by doing numerous tasks and levelling up. Both are good in their own way. I just enjoy RPGs where the protagonist has some sort of personality. It just makes you bond better with the game. Not to mention that JRPGs have great FMV's and awesome (Spectacular) effects. But thats my opinion. ;)

DarKWateR said:
This can be very annoying if the interactive world is big. I will wait for now.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
I don't 'get' JRPGs - I've played my share of FF games & I'm busy with Lost Odyssey and I will concede that few things look prettier on a console than the recent JRPGs. But it's just too on rails.

Give me the freedom of Fallout over the point-to-point progression of a typical JRPG any day...

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I don't 'get' JRPGs - I've played my share of FF games & I'm busy with Lost Odyssey and I will concede that few things look prettier on a console than the recent JRPGs. But it's just too on rails.

Give me the freedom of Fallout over the point-to-point progression of a typical JRPG any day...

I fully understand your point. The reason why I prefer JRPG's are due to their usually massive unrealistically fantasy themes. You know, guys with impossible emo hair, huge unrealistic weapons, menu based fighting systems, old skool stat mechanics, meteors falling on enemies head type magic, weird out of this world story lines, spells effect that gives you seizures, etc....ag the usual :p

I also like Japanese game title names. They're usually simple and easy to remember such as emm...Street Fighter 5: Super Alpha EX2 Omega Hyper Blast Mighty Morphin Turbo Edition.

Last edited:

BinaryJack

Spam
Is it on par with Valkyria Chronicles? So for an RPG, is it still worth getting?

no...rather dont.
save the R100 and wait for something else...
As I have said before it is very pretty but the faults are too numerous.
It is rather boring during the 3rd history lesson on Chopin's life and even though the cutscenes are pretty, they break the flow and pace of the story...

Others say it's ok, but my personal opinion.... save the R100. Here's the reasons why I didn't like it...

2.) Annoyingly long cut-scenes.
3.) Even more annoying longer history lesson cut-scenes.
4.) Repetitive colour palette swapped enemies.
5.) Fort Fermata (you'll understand if you play it).
6.) Beat has the most annoying voice ever.
7.) Limited weapon upgrades (locked to specific character).
8.) In game money has almost no value since it's so piss easy to get.
9.) Annoying and sometimes frustrating puzzles.
10.) Do you want more reasons? :p

I think the thing I hated the most was the non-existing map system. Almost everybody that plays ES ends up reading some online FAQ or buying a guide.

But hey, it's my personal opinion. You might like it.

The first thing to remember with JRPG's is, they are not WRPG.
They are nothing alike at all. The humour and characterizations and storytelling is completely different.
The magic and battles are somewhat OTT with dramatic music to accentuate the boss battles (FFVII end boss battle comes to mind).
The bosses are always too evil to be true with a clear line between good and evil.
The magic is impressive with flashes of light everywhere...and names that sounds impressive Firaga and Ultima and Tonberry Slice! :p

The two cant be compared, they are just too different.

Lost Odyssey is a great example of JRPG and you are in safe hands...just allow yourself to be swept away with the characters.

Lost odyssey is beautiful. It is the first RPG where the characters were alive for me. They had emotions and lives...I had to really try not to shed manly tears when Mac's and Cook's mother...I'll leave that for there!
These were great characters...they were alive...