DA's Head of Policy resigns

The DA’s policy chief Gwen Ngwenya has resigned from that position a month before the party is expected to unveil its critical 2019 election manifesto.

Business Day understands that her resignation follows differences between Ngwenya and the party’s leadership over its stance on broad-based black economic empowerment (BBBEE).

Her resignation was confirmed by senior leaders of the party on Thursday. Ngwenya will remain in the party and continue to serve as an MP.

DA spokesperson Solly Malatsi thanked Ngwenya for the work she had done on the party's policy platform, which would culminate in the launch of the manifesto.

“She will continue to serve the party in her portfolio,” Malatsi said.

Sources indicated that the disagreement was over her stance on BBBEE policy, which is closely linked to that of the Institute of Race Relations — that race should not be a factor. They indicated that DA leaders said the DA was “not a think tank” but a political party.

In an e-mail seen by Business Day, Ngwenya expressed frustration over the fact that she received little feedback on her policy proposals.

Ngwenya was appointed the party's head of policy at the beginning of 2018. The year was, however, a turbulent policy one as the DA grappled with its empowerment policies. The party was sent into a spin after Ngwenya announced in August that it had ditched BBBEE from its economic policy.

This was initially disputed by DA federal council chair James Selfe, who said DA still believed that race was a proxy for disadvantage in SA.

After a public debate in August, Ngwenya and Selfe issued a joint statement saying that the DA rejected the ANC’s BBBEE policy and would offer an alternative model of “real, broad-based empowerment”.

Since then the issue has largely remained off the public radar.

The party's economic proposal for the 2019 elections was expected to be revealed at the manifesto launch.
https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/politics/2019-01-24-da-policy-chief-gwen-ngwenya-resigns/

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Ngwenya - a former chief operating officer for the Institute of Race Relations - was appointed to the position by Maimane in February 2018, having built up a reputation as a prominent polemicist for her take on heated debates.

She is known for her classical liberal views, publicly speaking out against policies that, among other things, would lead to the enforcement of racial quotas.

The classical liberal view won the debate at the party's federal congress, adopting a diversity clause in the Constitution, but also adopting a clause that explicitly rejected quotas of any kind.
Looks like she achieved what she may have been brought in to oversee.

3WA

Executive Member
One of the best brains in the DA. I agree with her view, but pragmatically, you do need to pander to 20-year old apartheid victims to make progress in the South African electorate.

One of the best brains in the DA. I agree with her view, but pragmatically, you do need to pander to 20-year old apartheid victims to make progress in the South African electorate.
Yup - a big loss that she is no longer head of policy and suggests the DA are heading towards the ANC view of racial quotas and the like.

3WA

Executive Member
Hopefully she pops up in a high profile post soon. Maybe even leader.

Alan

Honorary Master
If a party has to pander to them to get into power would they not then have to pander to them to stay in power?

3WA

Executive Member
If a party has to pander to them to get into power would they not then have to pander to them to stay in power?
They’re easily fooled. They don’t remember what you do for them, they remember how you make them feel.

3WA

Executive Member
So DA politicians must lie and appeal to their feels over reals.
If you as a voter are not making decisions based on metrics that measure good governance, then you deserve to be lied to. Why would anyone listen to what politicians say when they can go look at how they govern?

thechamp

Honorary Master
DA policy head Gwen Ngwenya quits, accuses party of being 'more focused on billboards'
DA policy head Gwen Ngwenya has resigned from her position, citing unhappiness over unfulfilled promises from the party's leadership, among her many reasons. In a resignation letter addressed to DA leader Mmusi Maimane, Ngwenya accused the DA leadership of failing to support her unit, leaving her without a budget, and saddled with inexperienced staff.

"The resignation should not come as a surprise and you will be familiar with most of the reasons detailed below as they have been raised periodically since my appointment. I will, however, set them out here again for the sake of clarity and closure," reads the letter, dated January 18. She complained that the terms of her appointment were never met, saying when she was approached to head up policy for the DA, she was assured that the unit would have the support of the leadership, be semi-independent and would be there to provide unfettered research-based advice.

"In addition, I would receive resources to fulfill the job, as well as the ability to recruit my own staff. None of these terms were partially, let alone wholly, fulfilled. Instead I was often hung out to dry in the face of unhappiness with policy within the party, there were untouchable policy areas, no budget was designated to the policy unit, and no additional staff could be hired," she added.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/politic...es-party-of-being-more-focused-on-billboards/