Data Balances multiple SIMs

LukeKroon

I need a way to check the data balances of multiple (10+) prepaid sim cards in an easy and efficient way. Currently all the SIM cards are registered under one online account so I can log in and check the balance of each one individually. This however takes up time and I need to keep track of each number when querying each balance. What I want is a list of all the numbers with their respective balances next to them so that I can load new data if needed.

The best option would be If there is an API call of some sort I can write a small script to query all the balances but I am not aware of functionality like this. The reason I need to monitor the balances as these SIMs only consume about 200MB of data per month so do not want to put each of them on a data contract.

airborne

Honorary Master
I don't know of any network in SA that offers that functionality on std prepaid sims, probably may be something like that if you have a business account with contract Sims.

Thor

Honorary Master
Doesn't exist. That's the Golden goose we are all chasing.

Wanted to implement that functionality into our bulk recharge system (mainly for fleet management and IoT)

SIMcloud Leaflet Corporate.png

Last edited:

richjdavies

Expert Member
Can you change the SIM? Weve just started using a nice international roaming option that is very reasonably priced...

Nice because:
- works on MTN AND vodacom!
- no fixed charge, just pay for data
- api
Its not going to compete with Afrihost and other GBs/mo/sim local providers, but it does with small IOT packages...

thehuman

Expert Member
Can you change the SIM? Weve just started using a nice international roaming option that is very reasonably priced...

Nice because:
- api
Its not going to compete with Afrihost and other GBs/mo/sim local providers, but it does with small IOT packages...
This sounds interesting .

LukeKroon

Nice because:
- api
What is the name of this service ?

richjdavies

Expert Member
I'm keeping it slightly under-wraps until we've fully tested it (and got a reseller agreement in place :)

Got a few SIM's here to try out if you've got some serious interest? [DM me if you want one or two or 100]

In short - 200mb / month is likely to cost too much compared with local providers -- we can possibly get down to around $0.05/MB = $10 = R150?

At 10MB/month it's very different though = $0.50/month = R7.50? I'd say that is more than competitive!

What size monthly usage do you guys generally use/need for M2M? and/or how much of a premium are you prepared to pay for API etc...

LukeKroon

I'm keeping it slightly under-wraps until we've fully tested it (and got a reseller agreement in place :)

Got a few SIM's here to try out if you've got some serious interest? [DM me if you want one or two or 100]

In short - 200mb / month is likely to cost too much compared with local providers -- we can possibly get down to around $0.05/MB = $10 = R150?

At 10MB/month it's very different though = $0.50/month = R7.50? I'd say that is more than competitive!

What size monthly usage do you guys generally use/need for M2M? and/or how much of a premium are you prepared to pay for API etc...
This sounds really interesting. I will DM you my details.

In the mean time, I have figured out a way to access the Vodacom API and can query balances of all my SIM cards. If it is done I will post the code somewhere for everyone to use.

richjdavies

Expert Member
This sounds really interesting. I will DM you my details.
In the mean time, I have figured out a way to access the Vodacom API and can query balances of all my SIM cards. If it is done I will post the code somewhere for everyone to use.

Please do DM me - and also tell us the details of the API too :) We need to do that with a bunch of our SIMs (our devices currently send the balance - and we sometimes use a 3rd party - e.g. Flickswitch to manage for us).

LukeKroon

richjdavies

Expert Member
Thanks for that Luke! I'm guessing that's pretty much all the guys at flickswitch have been doing for years :) Feels a bit cheeky to charge each month for it, and also make the margin on the top-ups... but that's my opinion!

We're ready to go now with our next order on our Roaming SIMs.
If anyone else wants to test out an international roaming sim with no fixed charges. Data charges depend usage... but there are shared monthly and annual packages available. We're basically a reseller for thingsmobile.com

Because we're buying SIM's all the time and have our own shared data packages that aren't 100% used up, then I'd like to think it's better to get them from us, rather than going direct, but I'm not sure I can stop you!

Skyhigh

There is a service called SIMcontrol that can monitor balances and trigger recharges of prepaid and topup SIMs. They have network integration with Vodacom, MTN and Telkom I think.

LukeKroon

There is a service called SIMcontrol that can monitor balances and trigger recharges of prepaid and topup SIMs. They have network integration with Vodacom, MTN and Telkom I think.

It is a really good service but they charge R13 per SIM per month management fee. It adds up only if you want to check balances.

Muttley

Expert Member
We work with the guys from Flickswitch... perhaps they can help you out

SuperS

Thanks Marlin, we use to be with Flickswitch but moved to SIM Worx, they are half the price and no SIM addition fees.

Next phase for us and perfect solution will be to implement the API from Luke on GIT and have no costs per month.