Data generated in SA is the property of SA, says new draft govt policy – and cops need access

Thor

Honorary Master
Any data generated in South Africa is the property of South Africa, according to a new draft policy intended to guide legislation.

Local copies must be kept of any exported data, the draft National Data and Cloud Policy holds, for purposes of law enforcement.

Big data centres and critical backbone infrastructure should be declared national strategic assets, the document says, to ensure data sovereignty and to guard national security.

eg2505

Honorary Master
amazon might have something to say about this,
not to mention all the folks at teraco.

Milano

Honorary Master
This is based on government policies being implemented in many countries globally.

It reminds me of the push that is currently ongoing for central banks to directly offer and control what were traditionally seen as retail bank accounts.

This is part of the move by big government to take back its role as the primary storer of personal data and the exclusive issuer of (now digital) currency.

Except this time with exponentially larger amounts of data combined with the exponentially greater capacity to implement data analysis for good or nefarious purposes.

I am definitely against this move however it appears we are going to have very little say in the matter.

Executive Member
What about data that is already generated? Or data that is generated outside of the borders and brought into the country?

What about data that is encrypted with keys that are generated outside of the borders?

What about data that is considered secrets of another government?

Arg, whatever. Let them figure it out.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
I think the courts will have something to say about this. It's just insanity.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
What about data that is already generated? Or data that is generated outside of the borders and brought into the country?

What about data that is encrypted with keys that are generated outside of the borders?

What about data that is considered secrets of another government?

Arg, whatever. Let them figure it out.

Don't start asking questions about the real details of this, it will make Stella's single neuron implode.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I'm sure this was already posted
Yes, there is a older thread. I am still against it, the state should never be allowed to be private data custodians in whichever capacity. It will be open to abuse and misappropriation.

As I asked in the other thread some time ago, do you trust the state with your data?

Solarion

Honorary Master
Data will be useless to you unless you can force corporations to hand over their encryption keys. Almost everything is encrypted in one form or another.

Good luck with that. Going to be so far up **** creek with legal battles not even a map of the Milky Way Galaxy could guide you home again.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Data will be useless to you unless you can force corporations to hand over their encryption keys. Almost everything is encrypted in one form or another.

Good luck with that. Going to be so far up **** creek with legal battles not even a map of the Milky Way Galaxy could guide you home again.
The part about co-ownership may imply they want access to all encryption methods available. It defeat the purpose of encryption.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
So if my company writes a piece of software code that the government would find useful does that mean the government wants co ownership and the right to use it?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Don't start asking questions about the real details of this, it will make Stella's single neuron implode.
but Comrade Zuma asked her, how can we make money from all Data in SA,
this is the answer she came up with, as impractical and laughable as it is.

eg2505

Honorary Master
So if my company writes a piece of software code that the government would find useful does that mean the government wants co ownership and the right to use it?
didnt you know, you wrote that software in Wakandastan!
the king deserves something for making Wakandastan a great place to code.